Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox News commentator mocked for outrageously blaming slave trade on wind

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,849 Times in 14,187 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Fox News commentator mocked for outrageously blaming slave trade on wind

In an opinion piece for The Times entitled The Dystopia We Fear Is Keeping Us From the Utopia We Deserve, Ezra Klein writes that “the advance of wind and solar and battery technology remains a near miracle. The possibilities of advanced geothermal and hydrogen are thrilling. Smaller, modular nuclear reactors could make new miracles possible, like cars and planes that don’t need to be refueled or recharged. This is a world progressives, in particular, should want to hasten into existence”.

“Clean, abundant energy is the foundation on which a more equal, just and humane world can be built,” he added.

Fox News commentator Steve Milloy quoted the last sentence, calling Mr Klein an “airhead”.

“Two points: 1. Wind power made the trans-Atlantic slave trade possible. 2. Modern ‘clean’ energy has been a disaster.,” he tweeted on 9 January.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fo...6eb6a1c47d95d9
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

AProudLefty (01-13-2023), Cypress (01-13-2023), LurchAddams (01-12-2023), Phantasmal (01-13-2023), PoliTalker (01-13-2023)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,115 Times in 12,640 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

So far so called green energy has resulted in much more expensive and unreliable energy.....this program is killing civilization....but note the Yearning For UTOPIA.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

The Sage of Main Street (01-12-2023)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,307 Times in 13,426 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Of the two points you (Guano) are taking exception to:

The first, wind power made the trans-Atlantic slave trade possible...

This is a complete canard. This is a formal fallacy called Affirming the consequent. Wind power or no wind power, if there was to be a slave trade to the Americas, it could have still taken place. Wind was just more effective at moving ships across the ocean than oars. Steam replaced sails because it was another exponential increase in power. So, this point is bullshit.

The second, Modern clean energy is a disaster. This is true. Wind and solar have proven to conclusively create energy shortages, unreliability in grids, raised costs to prohibitive levels, and in general fucked the nations and populations they have been heavily pressed on.

Mr. Klein is correct in saying, Clean, abundant energy is the foundation on which a more equal, just and humane world can be built, but that energy will have to come in the form of natural gas and nuclear not solar and wind. The later two should be abandoned entirely.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,115 Times in 12,640 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Of the two points you (Guano) are taking exception to:

The first, wind power made the trans-Atlantic slave trade possible...

This is a complete canard. This is a formal fallacy called Affirming the consequent. Wind power or no wind power, if there was to be a slave trade to the Americas, it could have still taken place. Wind was just more effective at moving ships across the ocean than oars. Steam replaced sails because it was another exponential increase in power. So, this point is bullshit.

The second, Modern clean energy is a disaster. This is true. Wind and solar have proven to conclusively create energy shortages, unreliability in grids, raised costs to prohibitive levels, and in general fucked the nations and populations they have been heavily pressed on.

Mr. Klein is correct in saying, Clean, abundant energy is the foundation on which a more equal, just and humane world can be built, but that energy will have to come in the form of natural gas and nuclear not solar and wind. The later two should be abandoned entirely.
    I am not at all sure that the slave trade would have been possible with oared ships.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello guno,

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    In an opinion piece for The Times entitled The Dystopia We Fear Is Keeping Us From the Utopia We Deserve, Ezra Klein writes that “the advance of wind and solar and battery technology remains a near miracle. The possibilities of advanced geothermal and hydrogen are thrilling. Smaller, modular nuclear reactors could make new miracles possible, like cars and planes that don’t need to be refueled or recharged. This is a world progressives, in particular, should want to hasten into existence”.

“Clean, abundant energy is the foundation on which a more equal, just and humane world can be built,” he added.

Fox News commentator Steve Milloy quoted the last sentence, calling Mr Klein an “airhead”.

“Two points: 1. Wind power made the trans-Atlantic slave trade possible. 2. Modern ‘clean’ energy has been a disaster.,” he tweeted on 9 January.

The reason shipping no longer utilizes wind is because it is unpredictable. International trade is highly coordinated and runs on tight port schedules requiring a constant labor supply to load and unload ships.

If they allowed a little extra time to account for wind variability then ships would be experiencing downtime when they come in ahead of worst-case trip times. Ships cost too much money to have them experiencing any downtime. Capitalism requires that they produce maximum results at all times.

The wind patterns did favor shipping product from Africa to the US, but that is only one facet. There had to be a market for the product. There had to be ruthless Southern land owners who could justify purchasing brutally captured and chained other humans to work their land.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-13-2023)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,195 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I am not at all sure that the slave trade would have been possible with oared ships.
    Really, see Vikings and Egyptian slave trade.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Doc Dutch (01-13-2023), PoliTalker (01-13-2023)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Really, see Vikings and Egyptian slave trade.
    It is what powered Roman ships.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-13-2023), Phantasmal (01-13-2023)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,195 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Phantasmal,

It is what powered Roman ships.
    Exactly, I used the Vikings in particular because they traveled to the “New World”.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-13-2023), PoliTalker (01-13-2023)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 9,300 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Exactly, I used the Vikings in particular because they traveled to the “New World”.
    I always wondered why it's "the new world" when millions of people lived here?
    Call it what it was! An invasion of the Americas by Europe
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason Michaels For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (01-13-2023)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,069 Times in 8,417 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post

This reminds me of leftist dipshits suggesting that the files found in Brandon's old office and garage were put there by someone else.
    "Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

"Education is a system of imposed ignorance" - Noam Chomsky

"Leftists actually think everyone is as stupid as a leftist." - Yakuda

"No, Trump isn't a fascist, tatt boy." - moon

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,785 Times in 17,104 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,344 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    This reminds me of leftist dipshits suggesting that the files found in Brandon's old office and garage were put there by someone else.
    Oh yeah? Trump said the docs were planted at his roach motel.

Go get fucked royally.

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,079 Times in 7,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

Fox News isn't, as any sane person would immediately recognize, news.

Fox News is entertainment for the intellectually and morally deficient, and nothing more.
    We don't have the national will or resources to euthanize all of them. so apparently, we try to entertain them instead.
    Maybe it helps keep them off the streets.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,069 Times in 8,417 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Oh yeah? Trump said the docs were planted at his roach motel.

Go get fucked royally.
    Doesn't change the fact that you pond scum are trying to suggest the files were placed there by someone else. You people are intellectual midgets.
    "Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

"Education is a system of imposed ignorance" - Noam Chomsky

"Leftists actually think everyone is as stupid as a leftist." - Yakuda

"No, Trump isn't a fascist, tatt boy." - moon

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,785 Times in 17,104 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,344 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that you pond scum are trying to suggest the files were placed there by someone else. You people are intellectual midgets.
    Who said that?

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Who said that?
    I have found that the way the Right considers things is to find ONE INSTANCE of some rando saying something and if it meets a minimum threshold of "outrage" it will then become a FACT THAT APPLIES TO ALL MEMBERS OF THE GROUP THEY ARE DEBATING.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Saint Guinefort For This Post:

AProudLefty (01-13-2023)