Members banned from this thread: evince and Doc Dutch

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: The nature of the universe, whether God(s) exist, and how we define them

1. #211 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenyx View Post
    I seldom get involved in discussions involving religion because people tend to believe that circular arguments are proof they are right all the time. However, there are a few people who are more open minded. As a Pantheist who believes that everything is God, no one I know would argue that God exists under this definition, but they -have- pointed out that this is not how they define God, so for -them- God doesn't exist because of how they define God. This subject of whether God exists and perhaps more importantly, how we define God, has been one I've found to be interesting but as it's significantly off the subject of this thread, I decided to make this new thread and put my response here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    There very well may be a higher organizing principle underlying the universe. But since we are basically
    just souped-up chimpanzees, we might not have the cognitive capacity to fully comprehend it.

To me, the most important lingering unanswered questions are these:

Where did the physical laws of the universe come from? Prior to the big bang, nothing presumably existed, and nor did physics exist.

Why are there physical constants, and why do they take the values they do? Seemingly arbitrary numerical values which cannot be derived from first principles.

Why are the natural laws, the physical constants, and the geometry of the cosmos so finely-tuned in such a mathematically-improbable way to allow the development of complexity, life, and even conciousness?
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    And he was wrong.
    As you have always been inaccurate about life evolving in plain sight. But you have reasonable doubt saving your character's wannabe intellectual soul is greater than your instinctive sole limited to naturally adapting to the moment here.
    Every brain born has a lifetime conflict with ancestral displacement and intellectual social position within the population present. Why, life is a compounding connection between inception, conception, death, extinction life doesn't exceed what exists now.

2. #212 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I AM,I AM's,AM I View Post
    "God doesn't play the dice with the Universe" - Einstein
    It was a figure of speech. He wasn't referring to the Abrahamic God.
    It's pretty well known that to the extent Einstein thought about the supernatural, he aligned himself with Spinoza's god of nature.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Saint Guinefort (01-18-2023)

4. #213 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I AM,I AM's,AM I View Post
    "God doesn't play the dice with the Universe" - Einstein
    If I am not mistaken that was as a critique of the stochastic nature of a lot of quantum mechanics, NOT as an affirmation of some personal "God". I believe it was quite clear that Einstein didn't ascribe to a personal god concept.

5. #214 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Phimosis View Post
    If I am not mistaken that was as a critique of the stochastic nature of a lot of quantum mechanics, NOT as an affirmation of some personal "God". I believe it was quite clear that Einstein didn't ascribe to a personal god concept.
    It was a criticism of the idea of randomness in quantum mechanics. I think a reply to Bohr or Heisenberg.

6. #215 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 116 Times in 108 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    It was a criticism of the idea of randomness in quantum mechanics. I think a reply to Bohr or Heisenberg.
    That's essentially what I said. Thanks.

7. #216 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Phimosis View Post

‘The theory produces a good deal but hardly brings us closer to the secret of the Old One,’ wrote Albert Einstein in December 1926. ‘I am at all events convinced that He does not play dice.’

Einstein was responding to a letter from the German physicist Max Born. The heart of the new theory of quantum mechanics, Born had argued, beats randomly and uncertainly, as though suffering from arrhythmia. Whereas physics before the quantum had always been about doing this and getting that, the new quantum mechanics appeared to say that when we do this, we get that only with a certain probability. And in some circumstances we might get the other.

https://bigthink.com/thinking/what-e...ce-2624894657/