Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal Healthcare Voted Into Law!

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    maybe you should explain what, exactly, you believe national healthcare would be, because YES, Medicare and Medicaid is regulated by the government.
    Where exactly is Medicare regulated. be specific.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    Medicare is a federal program and is run by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, an agency of the federal government.

we call this 'regulation'.........in case you were wondering.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Medicare is a federal program and is run by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, an agency of the federal government.

we call this 'regulation'.........in case you were wondering.
    No, I want to know the exact regulation you are speaking of. I know you aint got a clue.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No, I want to know the exact regulation you are speaking of. I know you aint got a clue.
    you're deflecting. YOU said that national healthcare would be better than any private run healthcare. I also asked you why you felt that people have a right to the goods and services of a specific industry, which you avoided answering, choosing instead to deflect to something else. Then you finally answered NO on price controls...........to whit I asked you what WOULD be regulated. Now you want me to tell you how medicare is regulated?

why can't you clearly delineate why national run/regulated healthcare is better than privately run?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,654 Times in 4,435 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

I never said government money is free, but heath care provided by the government is far far superior to what we get from private insurance companies. Can you fucking believe, a doctor tells a patient that they need a particular surgery and it cannot be done until approved by their insurance carrier?
    Government must also approve medical procedures. My wife has had three back injections ordered by a doctor and before each one we had to make a 200 mile roundtrip for a ten minute visit before Medicare approved the procedure in addition to the initial visit. The first back injection was required by Medicare before she could get a back operation.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Medicare is regulated when you get medical treatment. Doctors have all kinds of regulations to follow and often "fudge" reports so the patient qualifies for treatment. My doctor has to get prior approval before injecting my knee for arthritis.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-08-2022)

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,498 Times in 52,726 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

should we assume that with GOVERNMENT running national healthcare for all, that price controls are going to be necessary?
    Finally we got some of that with Medicare and the price of prescription drugs. Both of us are very happy with our Medicare coverage. And no, we don't have to wait for appointments and procedures, other than a few days for scheduling.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I must have missed the part of the US Constitution that made it a right of the people to lay claim to the services of another person........that sounds like, slavery.
    Laying claim to the services of another person like border patrol agents, soldiers, teachers, federal law enforcement officials, etc.?

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Government must also approve medical procedures. My wife has had three back injections ordered by a doctor and before each one we had to make a 200 mile roundtrip for a ten minute visit before Medicare approved the procedure in addition to the initial visit. The first back injection was required by Medicare before she could get a back operation.
    That's typical for all types of spinal surgeries. I did utilization review for workers comp cases before retiring. We had protocols that had to be followed -- set up by the various insurance companies -- before we could approve an orthopedic surgery (most of the cases were orthopedic). Torn rotator cuff? PT, injections, NSAIDs. Diagnostics showing the acute injury. Specific measurements of lack of function, as well as continuing pain. Only then could we approve a surgical repair. Ditto for spinal injuries whether cervical or lumber. PT, medication, epidural steroid injections, then possibly a fusion if these treatments were ineffective. As nurses we were unable to approve fusions so our peer review physicians did that. The insurance companies were all private corporations; none of this was government.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

If all insurance was as good and well run as medicare, we would be far better off.
    did you know that for most people (those with Medicare Advantage plans) their health care is run by private companies?.......mine is run by Priority Health, BC/BS is a prominent Medicare advantage plan in Michigan........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    That's typical for all types of spinal surgeries. I did utilization review for workers comp cases before retiring. We had protocols that had to be followed -- set up by the various insurance companies -- before we could approve an orthopedic surgery (most of the cases were orthopedic). Torn rotator cuff? PT, injections, NSAIDs. Diagnostics showing the acute injury. Specific measurements of lack of function, as well as continuing pain. Only then could we approve a surgical repair. Ditto for spinal injuries whether cervical or lumber. PT, medication, epidural steroid injections, then possibly a fusion if these treatments were ineffective. As nurses we were unable to approve fusions so our peer review physicians did that. The insurance companies were all private corporations; none of this was government.
    Was all this required to qualify for Medicare reimbursement?

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Was all this required to qualify for Medicare reimbursement?
    No. The company I worked for did utilization review for private insurers, who carried the workers comp insurance for private companies, by state mandate. Liberty Mutual was one company; there was also Aetna, Gallagher-Bassett, and several others that were both national and regional. The only government involvement was the states' requirements that employers carry WC insurance for their employees.

Medicare and Medicaid though have similar standards for review depending on what the requested procedure/diagnostics/surgery is, and whether it is emergent or not.
    Last edited by ThatOwlWoman; 12-08-2022 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    did you know that for most people (those with Medicare Advantage plans) their health care is run by private companies?.......mine is run by Priority Health, BC/BS is a prominent Medicare advantage plan in Michigan........
    Yep, supplemental plans run by private insurers make up the difference between what Medicare covers and what it doesn't. Judging by the annual bombardment of advertising, emails, and snail mail solicitations we get every year, there is big BIG money in providing these supplemental plans. So if we did adopt a national Medicare-for-all kind of insurance coverage, private insurance firms would not go out of business.

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Laying claim to the services of another person like border patrol agents, soldiers, teachers, federal law enforcement officials, etc.?
    false equivalence

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Finally we got some of that with Medicare and the price of prescription drugs. Both of us are very happy with our Medicare coverage. And no, we don't have to wait for appointments and procedures, other than a few days for scheduling.
    so......plenty of regulation.......in other words, you believe that government should force people to give us their goods and services at rates YOU approve of.........we call that slavery