Thread: Unattractive people overrate their looks

1. #181 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Gatherers is one thing, taking down a bison with sharpened sticks is another. Different skills involved.
    Yet both males and females banded together to do that. Most subsistence people, now and then, got their protein from small animals, eggs, birds. Women excelled at gathering these food sources, as well as plant foods. If it wasn't for planted-based foods, humankind wouldn't have survived.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

2. #182 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,449 Times in 52,464 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Yet both males and females banded together to do that. Most subsistence people, now and then, got their protein from small animals, eggs, birds. Women excelled at gathering these food sources, as well as plant foods. If it wasn't for planted-based foods, humankind wouldn't have survived.
    I'd have to study it further. My understanding is that most women didn't accompany the men on bison hunts among Native Americans.

Agreed about plants. The lower on the food chain, the easier it is to acquire.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #183 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd have to study it further. My understanding is that most women didn't accompany the men on bison hunts among Native Americans.

Agreed about plants. The lower on the food chain, the easier it is to acquire.
    Of course they went. Who did the butchering and dragging the animals back to camp, and then the cooking and preserving, tanning and rendering?

Popular lit and movies like to show primitive societies engaging in massive hunts and feasts, but in reality those big game occurrences were pretty uncommon. Most of our primitive ancestors -- and the few remaining primitive cultures today -- subsist on mostly plants and small animal/bird/reptile/fish proteins.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. #184 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Of course they went. Who did the butchering and dragging the animals back to camp, and then the cooking and preserving, tanning and rendering?

Popular lit and movies like to show primitive societies engaging in massive hunts and feasts, but in reality those big game occurrences were pretty uncommon. Most of our primitive ancestors -- and the few remaining primitive cultures today -- subsist on mostly plants and small animal/bird/reptile/fish proteins.
    That's my point; that's not the hunt.

Agreed on the smaller game and plants.

5. #185 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

That's my point; that's not the hunt.

Agreed on the smaller game and plants.
    "Prehistoric women were successful big-game hunters, challenging beliefs about ancient gender roles"

Archeological evidence from Peru has revealed that some ancient big-game hunters were, in fact, women, challenging what science writer James Gorman wrote was "one of the most widely held tenets about ancient hunters and gatherers—that males hunted and females gathered."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/phys.or...me-hunters.amp

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-10-2022)

7. #186 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    "Prehistoric women were successful big-game hunters, challenging beliefs about ancient gender roles"

Archeological evidence from Peru has revealed that some ancient big-game hunters were, in fact, women, challenging what science writer James Gorman wrote was "one of the most widely held tenets about ancient hunters and gatherers—that males hunted and females gathered."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/phys.or...me-hunters.amp
    In a survival situation, do whatcha need to do.

That said, while young single women might go on a hunt, I doubt many mothers would leave their young unprotected to go away for a day or three.

As the infant and child mortality stats proved, either the mother or the father would have to watch the kids.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (12-10-2022), ThatOwlWoman (12-10-2022)

9. #187 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 890 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 144 Times in 135 Posts

As usual people - read past the headlines.

First - yes, I believe that most, less-attractive people think (hope?) they are more attractive than they are.

Second - this study seems like nonsense in it's execution.

In the first study (of two)?
    The total group of people who decided how attractive the subjects were?
    Were two dudes.
    That's it...just two guys!

Calling that a 'fair study' is beyond ridiculous.

The second study - apparently - used four women and four men to judge 'how attractive' the respondents were.
    And though that is far better than the first, joke of a study.
    It's still an incredibly, small number of people to come to a conclusion about ALL humans on the entire planet.

In addition.
    The respondents (the people being judged) averaged (mean) 33.8 years of age.
    That could be important.
    If the 'judges' were all of university age?
    Which - given that the second study was done at a university, is possible. If not probable.

That means you have - potentially - college-aged students, judging the looks of people, MUCH older then themselves.
    Obviously, an 18 year old guy is going to be more attracted to an average 18 year old gal than an average, 40 year old gal.

The whole 'report' seems like nonsense to me.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...111/sjop.12631

10. The Following User Says Thank You to McRocket For This Post:

Life is Golden (12-10-2022)

11. #188 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

In a survival situation, do whatcha need to do.

That said, while young single women might go on a hunt, I doubt many mothers would leave their young unprotected to go away for a day or three.

As the infant and child mortality stats proved, either the mother or the father would have to watch the kids.
    I think we don't know very much about Paleolithic humans and much more research and evidence is needed.

The requirements of motherhood obviously place an additional burden on the females of the genus hominidae.

I also suspect that gender, economic, and social stratification became more pronounced after the advent of cultivated agriculture and the development of sedentary societies. In most predator species on the planet, the female has to actively hunt just like the male.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (12-10-2022), ThatOwlWoman (12-10-2022)

13. #189 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    Here you go, an example of big, permed hair.

I love the warpaint.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

christiefan915 (12-10-2022)

15. #190 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think we don't know very much about Paleolithic humans and much more research and evidence is needed.

The requirements of motherhood obviously place an additional burden on the females of the genus hominidae.

I also suspect that gender, economic, and social stratification became more pronounced after the advent of cultivated agriculture and the development of sedentary societies. In most predator species on the planet, the female has to actively hunt just like the male.
    Agreed more research is needed, but there's a lot of data on primitive human societies since we've had them well into the 20th century. Human beings haven't changed anatomically for about 300,000 years and mentally for around 30,000 years.

In short, there's not much new under the Sun when it comes to the basic Mark I model of Homo sapiens sapiens. LOL

From the infant mortality link: https://ourworldindata.org/child-mortality-in-the-past
    The fertility rate was commonly higher than 6 children per woman on average, as we discuss here. A fertility rate of 4 children per woman would imply a doubling of the population size each generation; a rate of 6 children per woman would imply a tripling from one generation to the next. But instead population barely increased: From 10,000 BCE to 1700 the world population grew by only 0.04% annually. A high number of births without a rapid increase of the population can only be explained by one sad reality: a high share of children died before they could have had children themselves.
    Agreed that cultivated agriculture gave rise to cities and specialization among humans in society. However, that only covers the previous 10,000 years, not the entire 300,000.....as far as we know.

Given human nature and the timespan, I think there's plenty of time for the rise and fall of civilizations but that's not backed up by any evidence. As far as we know, humans lived in foraging and hunting tribal societies with an average of a 0.04% growth rate due to infant and child mortality. Small game and fish would be their primary source of protein, supplemented with foraged berries, nuts and other plants.

Due to the basic anatomical nature of human beings, the division of labor within a tribe would primarily see the young to older males on the hunt or warring. Younger, single females could do the same but mothers would most likely be tending camp.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (12-10-2022)

17. #191 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McRocket View Post
    As usual people - read past the headlines.

First - yes, I believe that most, less-attractive people think (hope?) they are more attractive than they are.

Were two dudes.

Calling that a 'fair study' is beyond ridiculous.

The second study - apparently - used four women and four men to judge 'how attractive' the respondents were.
    And though that is far better than the first, joke of a study.
    It's still an incredibly, small number of people to come to a conclusion about ALL humans on the entire planet.

In addition.
    The respondents (the people being judged) averaged (mean) 33.8 years of age.
    That could be important.
    If the 'judges' were all of university age?
    Which - given that the second study was done at a university, is possible. If not probable.

That means you have - potentially - college-aged students, judging the looks of people, MUCH older then themselves.
    Obviously, an 18 year old guy is going to be more attracted to an average 18 year old gal than an average, 40 year old gal.

Thanks for that info. Makes a lot more sense now.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

McRocket (12-10-2022)

19. #192 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Were two dudes.
    The paper states it summarizes a compilation of six different studies

Study One: 191 people
    Study Two: 163 people
    Study Three: 235 people
    Study Four: 271 people
    Study Five: 214 people
    Study Six: 106 people

For a total of 1,180 people participating in the studies summarized in this paper.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (12-10-2022), ThatOwlWoman (12-10-2022)

21. #193 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the link, son. You epitomize this statement from your link:

This basic finding that the incompetent overestimate their abilities – termed the Dunning-Kruger effect – has been replicated in dozens of studies (for a review, Dunning, 2011)...

...Overall, there is overwhelming evidence that incompetent people fail to recognize their own incompetence.

You claimed to have a college education but always ran from your field of study. Why? Is it embarrassing?

Even if it was Finger-painting or basket-weaving, I'm certain you have learned something.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-10-2022)

23. #194 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

For a total of 1,180 people participating in the studies summarized in this paper.

McRicket seeks to disavow the entire concept due to a single flaw he perceives in a single study. Notice how he cherry-picked the statement, then neglected to post the data:

While participants responded to the questionnaire, their objective attractiveness was unobtrusively assessed by two male experimenters who were standing in front of the participants while they were filling out the questionnaire. The experimenters independently judged how physically attractive they perceived the respondent, on a scale from 1 (not at all attractive) to 9 (very attractive). Experimenter ratings were significantly correlated, r(191) = 0.59, p < 0.001, and were thus averaged. In this study and the following studies, raters and participants were unacquainted and raters were unaware of how participants judged themselves.

Results
    Subjective and objective attractiveness ratings were not significantly correlated, r(191) = 0.13, p = 0.067. Participants perceived themselves to be more attractive (M = 6.03, SD = 1.08) compared to how they were perceived by the experimenters (M = 5.44, SD = 1.44), t(190) = 4.82, p < 0.001.
    I suspect it's because he doesn't understand it in a display of the Dunning-Kruger Effect. LOL

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (12-10-2022), ThatOwlWoman (12-10-2022)

25. #195 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 890 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 144 Times in 135 Posts

My mistake - I did not see the other four.
    But it changed little.

The first study - 2 dudes did all the judging.
    The second study was 8 people - but I described why this methodology was highly flawed.

The rest?

The third study - only 2 females judged all the participant’s.
    The fourth study - only 2 females judged all the participant’s.
    The fifth study - only 2 females judged all the participant’s.
    The sixth study - 106 people judged each other. But it was not stated if they did so in private or in front of the others. The latter would obviously alter their responses.

You cannot have such tiny numbers of judges to perform such an INCREDIBLY, subjective task.
    And seriously expect the experiment to be worthwhile.

The study(s) were a joke.
    They tell us virtually nothing as the methodology used was INCREDIBLY flawed.

You don't agree?
    Fine.

We are done here, for now.

Good day.
    Last edited by McRocket; 12-10-2022 at 08:02 PM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McRocket For This Post:

Life is Golden (12-10-2022), RB 60 (12-10-2022)