Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Things you never want to hear a US senator say

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,033 Times in 14,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The fact that the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Endangered Species Act passed with strong bipartisan support makes me feel like liberal Republicans actually existed as a constituency the 1970s.
    I don't disagree. Back then, those things weren't 'liberal'. They were common sense.

It was also widely accepted that compromise was the only way to get things done, as the Founders demanded when they crafted the govt..

Then Gingrich decided that monkeys flinging shit was the only way to get control of the House.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,068 Times in 7,501 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I lived my whole life in the Midwest, where white people pronounce Mom's sister's title as "ant." Black people and people for whom English is a second language pronounce it "aunt." It is also "aunt" here among the indigenous folks.
    Yes, I've notice that. What's the name of our language? Would King Charles pronounce it "ant?"
    Well, Liz doesn't pronounce it like Teddy did, but I really like her anyway.
    It just sounds a tad grating from a Massachusetts senator, that's all.
    The lady [I didn't say broad this time!] is just a few elocution lessons from being perfect, but at her age, I guess she gets a pass.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-05-2022)

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,397 Times in 53,276 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Yes, I've notice that. What's the name of our language? Would King Charles pronounce it "ant?"
    Well, Liz doesn't pronounce it like Teddy did, but I really like her anyway.
    It just sounds a tad grating from a Massachusetts senator, that's all.
    The lady [I didn't say broad this time!] is just a few elocution lessons from being perfect, but at her age, I guess she gets a pass.
    I believe she's from the Midwest, right? Oklahoma? Ask Leaningright, but I think he probably pronounces it "ant" as well.

I always had the impression that Midwesterners thought that pronouncing it "aunt" made you sound stuck-up and maybe a Brit sympathizer.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,680 Times in 27,325 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I lived my whole life in the Midwest, where white people pronounce Mom's sister's title as "ant." Black people and people for whom English is a second language pronounce it "aunt." It is also "aunt" here among the indigenous folks.
    I didn't use Aunt or Ant, I said totya.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-05-2022)

7. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,068 Times in 7,501 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

I believe she's from the Midwest, right? Oklahoma? Ask Leaningright, but I think he probably pronounces it "ant" as well.

I always had the impression that Midwesterners thought that pronouncing it "aunt" made you sound stuck-up and maybe a Brit sympathizer.
    Stuck up??? Me?????
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

8. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,397 Times in 53,276 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Stuck up??? Me?????

I knew you'd catch that.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

NiftyNiblick (12-05-2022)

10. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,680 Times in 27,325 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    I don't disagree. Back then, those things weren't 'liberal'. They were common sense.

It was also widely accepted that compromise was the only way to get things done, as the Founders demanded when they crafted the govt..

Then Gingrich decided that monkeys flinging shit was the only way to get control of the House.
    My recollection is that John Anderson, who identified as a liberal Republican, ran to the left of Jimmy Carter as an independent in the 1980 presidential election

In Connecticut, I always felt like liberal Republican Lowell Weicker was to the left of Lieberman

11. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    if you voted someone with mental issues into the Oval Office why does it bother you if one of 100 senators shares his problem?.....
    That’s a damn good question sir. The only answer I have for you, that kind of makes sense, is that personally I prefer my political leaders have mental issues. Otherwise they won’t get get squat done.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

PostmodernProphet (12-05-2022)

13. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    That’s a damn good question sir. The only answer I have for you, that kind of makes sense, is that personally I prefer my political leaders have mental issues. Otherwise they won’t get get squat done.
    has any president in the last fifty years gotten more things done with less help than Donald Trump?........I guess then he had more mental issues than all the rest.......and praise the Lord he did.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

14. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,784 Times in 17,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    has any president in the last fifty years gotten more things done with less help than Donald Trump?........I guess then he had more mental issues than all the rest.......and praise the Lord he did.....

15. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Another of Hershey's ex girlfriends came forward yesterday and said he went psycho on her and tried to beat her up.
    Now now! I wouldn’t be so hasty to draw conclusions. I mean tried to beat her up? How do you try? Don’t get me wrong. I’m a big fan of Hershel the athlete. One of the very best athletes I’ve ever seen but Hershel the politician is a joke. We all know this is a cynical ploy to take advantage of his name recognition and in the day of the Kardashian’s, probably not a bad one.

Besides, have you ever had a large angry black woman take a swing at you? I have. Only time I’ve ever been knocked out in my life was by a large angry black woman. The scary part was she wasn’t even mad at me.

Who knows man? He may have been confronted by large angry black woman. What’s a brother gonna do? Stand there and get his jaw broke? Not even Hershel is that crazy!

16. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I guess we could look forward to Walker losing his mind and going psycho on the floor of the Senate. That is CSPAN footage I would watch.
    Hell, I’d sell it for PPV!

17. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    And "spelt" is spelled, "spelled". Ok ready for your "groan", child.
    Oh dear, this is a repeat of your Turkey not being in NATO faux pas. I won't groan you though just try to do better!

The verb spell commonly means to write or name the letters making up a word in the right order. Spell is a verb with irregular and regular forms. Spelled and spelt are both common forms of the past tense and the past participle of spell, though with geographical differences.

Learn more about the details of this difference, as well as additional uses for spelt, below.

http://US to investigate Israeli mur...to co-operate.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 12-06-2022 at 06:03 AM.

18. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Now now! I wouldn’t be so hasty to draw conclusions. I mean tried to beat her up? How do you try? Don’t get me wrong. I’m a big fan of Hershel the athlete. One of the very best athletes I’ve ever seen but Hershel the politician is a joke. We all know this is a cynical ploy to take advantage of his name recognition and in the day of the Kardashian’s, probably not a bad one.

Besides, have you ever had a large angry black woman take a swing at you? I have. Only time I’ve ever been knocked out in my life was by a large angry black woman. The scary part was she wasn’t even mad at me.

Who knows man? He may have been confronted by large angry black woman. What’s a brother gonna do? Stand there and get his jaw broke? Not even Hershel is that crazy!
    I'd pay good money to see TTQ64 kicking Soi Boi's arse, he'd probably enjoy it though.

19. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    Oh dear, this is a repeat of your Turkey not being in NATO faux pas. I won't groan you though just try to do better!

The verb spell commonly means to write or name the letters making up a word in the right order. Spell is a verb with irregular and regular forms. Spelled and spelt are both common forms of the past tense and the past participle of spell, though with geographical differences.

Learn more about the details of this difference, as well as additional uses for spelt, below.

http://US to investigate Israeli mur...to co-operate.
    Lock Him Up