Thread: A serious political question.

1. #211 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,611 Times in 51,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    All things considered, if I like a candidate and what he/she stands for, and it comes out that they are being treated for a mental illness (OCD, depression, bipolar, etc.) and have successfully handled their life to that point, I would likely vote for them.
    Being successfully treated for anything is good. It doesn't matter if it's cancer or depression.

The problem with most mentally ill people, especially severely mentally ill like Walker, is that they often don't take their meds. Their choice unless it's adjudicated.

A major problem in American society remains the stigma of mental illness, most commonly depression. The stigma causes many people to shy away from treatment and gives the insurance companies an excuse not to cover treatment.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (12-07-2022)

3. #212 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Bet you'll learn something different if the choices on election day 2024 are Biden vs Trump, just like a lot of (R)s held their noses and voted for #TRE45ON because they couldn't in good conscience (or bad) vote for Hillary or any other (D).
    There's a better chance of you voting for Trump than there is them voting for Biden...
    Life is better when you live it on your own terms...

4. #213 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,516 Times in 52,735 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Being successfully treated for anything is good. It doesn't matter if it's cancer or depression.

The problem with most mentally ill people, especially severely mentally ill like Walker, is that they often don't take their meds. Their choice unless it's adjudicated.

A major problem in American society remains the stigma of mental illness, most commonly depression. The stigma causes many people to shy away from treatment and gives the insurance companies an excuse not to cover treatment.
    Exactly true, that last paragraph. That's why even though I loathe Walker as a person and a dick, I don't like his mental illness(es) being used against him. There's plenty of other reasons to despise him.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (12-07-2022)

6. #214 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
    There's a better chance of you voting for Trump than there is them voting for Biden...
    Whatevs. I'm sure you control how your family members vote.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

7. #215 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Whatevs. I'm sure you control how your family members vote.
    Oh, I don't control that at all.

But I believe them when they say they won't vote for someone.

Would you vote for Trump? Of course you wouldn't. But if you told me that, why wouldn't I believe you?
    Life is better when you live it on your own terms...

8. #216 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,563 Times in 17,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Exactly true, that last paragraph. That's why even though I loathe Walker as a person and a dick, I don't like his mental illness(es) being used against him. There's plenty of other reasons to despise him.
    He shows CTE. That is a result of way too many football concussions. That condition does not get better. They show anger and can be dangerous. Walker has shown that many times that have been on record. How many more were not because he was a celebrity? Ignoring physical brain damage is wrong. https://www.ctesociety.org/latest_ne...stages-of-cte/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

10. #217 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    He shows CTE. That is a result of way too many football concussions. That condition does not get better. They show anger and can be dangerous. Walker has shown that many times that have been on record. How many more were not because he was a celebrity? Ignoring physical brain damage is wrong. https://www.ctesociety.org/latest_ne...stages-of-cte/
    I agree. Physical brain damage is, however, different than a non-organic mental illness like depression, for instance.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (12-07-2022)

12. #218 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If a person has a non-debilitating mental illness in which they are complying with treatment, I agree it doesn't affect their fitness to serve.

That's not Walker's problem. He's admitted to severe mental issues, admitted he's not being treated and there's a good chance he has CTE from his football career. IMO, those are all legitimate topics for voters to discuss when assessing candidate's and their fitness to serve in their position.

The fact almost 2M Georgians, over 49% of the vote, voted for him could mean many things. They don't care about his brain-damage? Is his party more important than Walker's ability to serve Georgia as one of their two Senators for the next six years?

This appears to be more about half a state putting a priority on serving the Republican Party over serving their own state. Why would people do that to the point of electing a mentally ill candidate? Out of fear?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

14. #219 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I agree. Physical brain damage is, however, different than a non-organic mental illness like depression, for instance.
    Agreed and Walker appears to have both.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

16. #220 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    On the contrary I feel the same as the left when it comes to Trump. Sadly I voted for him 1st time but that was an anti-Hillary vote.
    I was a straight Republican voter for 38 years except for Perot. The Republican Party I joined in 1974 wasn't the one I saw after 2012. It had been changing for years but I kept hoping the GOP would save itself. It never did and that's how we ended up with Trump. Romney was my last Republican vote and it's been the Libertarian candidate ever since.

Not that they'll win, but to show both major parties they are not serving my interests as an American citizen. Both of major parties put Party loyalty over loyalty to their country and honoring their oath. The Libertarian Party is the next best thing.

The family of Officer Sicknick snubbed both McConnell and McCarthy at the medal ceremony. Can you imagine a situation where that'd happen to Goldwater or Reagan? The Republican Party needs to right itself or capsize. No pun intended.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...ader-rcna60375
    Family of deceased Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick snubs GOP leaders
    “We got together and said we’re not going to shake their hands,” Gladys Sicknick, mother of the late officer

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Eagle_Eye (12-08-2022)

18. #221 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,563 Times in 17,090 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    this is why sane people can't take you leftists seriously.
    Because they tell the truth?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

20. #222 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    If a person has a non-debilitating mental illness in which they are complying with treatment, I agree it doesn't affect their fitness to serve.

That's not Walker's problem. He's admitted to severe mental issues, admitted he's not being treated and there's a good chance he has CTE from his football career. IMO, those are all legitimate topics for voters to discuss when assessing candidate's and their fitness to serve in their position.

The fact almost 2M Georgians, over 49% of the vote, voted for him could mean many things. They don't care about his brain-damage? Is his party more important than Walker's ability to serve Georgia as one of their two Senators for the next six years?

This appears to be more about half a state putting a priority on serving the Republican Party over serving their own state. Why would people do that to the point of electing a mentally ill candidate? Out of fear?
    I understand and agree with you that someone like Mr. Walker -- who has been open about his mental illness(es) and also his failure to accept treatment -- should not be an elected public official in charge of even the local dog catcher office.

The fact that so many allegedly rational people voted for him is a lot more concerning than his various mental problems. WTF. And yes, I'm looking at YOU -- self-proclaimed Christians. WTF were you thinking?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (12-07-2022)

22. #223 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I understand and agree with you that someone like Mr. Walker -- who has been open about his mental illness(es) and also his failure to accept treatment -- should not be an elected public official in charge of even the local dog catcher office.

The fact that so many allegedly rational people voted for him is a lot more concerning than his various mental problems. WTF. And yes, I'm looking at YOU -- self-proclaimed Christians. WTF were you thinking?
    The voting thing, IMO, goes back to fear and fear is often enhanced by ignorance. In short, America has done a pretty shitty job of teaching her voters.

The self-proclaimed Christians usually aren't. In fact, those on JPP who claim to be so strike me as either being bald-faced liars or they are askew in some way. Often both. LOL

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

24. #224 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    So let me get this straight; the MAGA driven Republican leadership and voters consider President Biden incompetent and a danger to the country economically and socially, but Hershel Walker isn't? Man, is this country in trouble or what?

In before his opponent gives the Democrat agenda a Bah Fongu after he gets elected. IF that's what happens, and it just could.

25. #225 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,632 Times in 4,084 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,357 Times in 1,282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Please note that when LeBron has business dealings he is a genius. When Walker does its... well its just BAD BAD BAD
    My man, if LeBron would run for a Congressional office, I would hold him to the same standards as I held Walker. So would others.

As to business dealings, Walker has "questionable" dealings easily researched. If you can find the same with LeBron, then do so. If not, don't make false equivalencies.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell