Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Cleese: Football v Soccer

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,043 Times in 7,480 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,047 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    I'm usually not a soccer fan, but I've been into this year's World Cup for some reason. I think it's because the Micheladas in San Antonio are so good I can't leave the sport's bar

But there have been some great matches and I'm not entirely bored to death watching them this year!
    I find that in my dotage, I'm not the sports fan that I used to be.

Baseball and boxing were my favorites, but I lost track of boxing when it moved from premium cable to streaming,
    and the Bud Selig / Rob Manfred leadership era has managed to make baseball just as tacky as all the other team sports. More so, actually.

I watched football when Doug Flutie was at Boston College, and then again when Tom Brady was with the Patriots, but there's nothing to watch now.

I never gave a rat's ass about the Bruins or Celtics unless they were in the finals.

Also, our nearby thoroughbred race tracks, Suffolk Downs and Rockingham Park, have both closed down.

I watched one soccer match from beginning to end in my entire life. On TV, not in person.
    It was between the German and Italian national teams, it had to be decades ago now, and if I remember correctly, Italy won. Can't be sure, though.

My son played baseball, not soccer, so I never had to sit through a kids' game.
    I do miss the youth baseball, but he's almost 49 so they don't let him play anymore.

I still have the two big buckets full of baseballs with which I DIDN'T throw him batting practice very often
    because he preferred to go through rolls and rolls of quarters in the batting cages where we didn't have to retrieve the balls.
    Yes, people still used coins back then.
    The buckets of balls are a man cave decoration on the floor in front of the bookshelves now, along with his bats.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,089 Times in 33,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

Baseball was voted the 11th most boring sport, soccer/futbal didn’t make the list.

https://playersbio.com/most-boring-sport-to-watch/

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,020 Times in 6,674 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 543 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    Here's your normal person to retarded leftist translation

Who gives a shit?: Lick my balls
    Sorry, I'm busy destroying your every MAGA argument here. As usual, you're going to have to lick them yourself, Fido.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,020 Times in 6,674 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 543 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I find that in my dotage, I'm not the sports fan that I used to be.

Baseball and boxing were my favorites, but I lost track of boxing when it moved from premium cable to streaming,
    and the Bud Selig / Rob Manfred leadership era has managed to make baseball just as tacky as all the other team sports. More so, actually.

I watched football when Doug Flutie was at Boston College, and then again when Tom Brady was with the Patriots, but there's nothing to watch now.

I never gave a rat's ass about the Bruins or Celtics unless they were in the finals.

Also, our nearby thoroughbred race tracks, Suffolk Downs and Rockingham Park, have both closed down.

I watched one soccer match from beginning to end in my entire life. On TV, not in person.
    It was between the German and Italian national teams, it had to be decades ago now, and if I remember correctly, Italy won. Can't be sure, though.

My son played baseball, not soccer, so I never had to sit through a kids' game.
    I do miss the youth baseball, but he's almost 49 so they don't let him play anymore.

I still have the two big buckets full of baseballs with which I DIDN'T throw him batting practice very often
    because he preferred to go through rolls and rolls of quarters in the batting cages where we didn't have to retrieve the balls.
    Yes, people still used coins back then.
    The buckets of balls are a man cave decoration on the floor in front of the bookshelves now, along with his bats.
    Yes, 49 is just a little too old to play youth sports

My youngest played peewee football. All the parents had a blast watching it. I was on the "chain gang" most of the time, flipping the down sign for everyone.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (12-15-2022), NiftyNiblick (12-07-2022)

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,043 Times in 7,480 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,047 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Baseball was voted the 11th most boring sport, soccer/futbal didn’t make the list.

https://playersbio.com/most-boring-sport-to-watch/
    Baseball, as much as I've always loved it, is in serious trouble.

Kids aren't playing it the way they used to, and the professionals are very dependent on foreign players, now.

As sports entertainment, they're trying to attract new fans by tarting up the game, but are just driving away the old purists like myself.

The most athletic among today's kids prefer sports where their athletic ability can carry them by itself.
    Baseball is all complex learned skills, and excellent athletes who don't have the patience for the learning curve can seriously suck at it.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (12-15-2022), leaningright (12-15-2022)

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

The word soccer comes from association I believe. Association Football was then much better known as “Assoccer” in the 19th century, which quickly just became “Soccer” and sometimes “Soccer Football”.

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

American football, soccer, rugby, lacrosse, basketball, hockey, and even polo are all variations of the same boring game--attack and defend goals under a running. clock.

That's what makes baseball great (at least before Selig and Manfred ruined it),
    and although cricket takes forever to play, at least it's not an attack and defend goals under a running clock game.

League rugby sucks, but union rugby is ok.
    They don't wear protective pads, true,
    but they aren't allowed to launch off their feet to tackle, either... or to throw blocks. They just pull each other down by the jersey.
    Pakistani spin bowlers are the world's best.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/cric...but-Ben-Stokes

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sorry couldn't find this on YT.

https://fb.watch/hqTuZzmFiT/

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,242 Times in 13,389 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 840 Times in 799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I think golf is about the most boring game to watch from a spectating point of view!

Golf is a pussy sport for pussy men!

Rodeos, Football, Basketball, and Baseball are sports for REAL men. Not Pussies riding around in PUSSY golf carts- checking out each other's asses while they putt!
    Golf is a drinking game. The cart is to hold the beer cooler.

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,183 Times in 13,933 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Golf is a drinking game. The cart is to hold the beer cooler.
    Plus it is an individual sport which people of all ages can play long into their lives, perhaps not good, but they can participate, which makes it different and partially explains its popularity

13. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,183 Times in 13,933 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

Kids aren't playing it the way they used to, and the professionals are very dependent on foreign players, now.

As sports entertainment, they're trying to attract new fans by tarting up the game, but are just driving away the old purists like myself.

The most athletic among today's kids prefer sports where their athletic ability can carry them by itself.
    Baseball is all complex learned skills, and excellent athletes who don't have the patience for the learning curve can seriously suck at it.
    I agree, the majority of other sports often reward being a biological freak, 380lb men with quick feet isn’t normal, nor are 6’ 8’ with high knees, where as baseball requires all around athleticism. Plus as you say, there is a strategy and drama in just about every aspect of the game, as Fenway shows, even the playing field can be a major variable

And I liked Suffolk Downs, train ride out, short walk following the first turn, and the old grandstand where you could sense the history.

14. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,549 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Bingo! The bolded above is so true. And the powers that be are complicit in propagating that. I was at a basketball game tonight, in the stands talking with a coach from another school who is a very good friend of mine. He tells me there will be a shot clock in Oklahoma high school basketball next year.

IMO this is just another of many rule changes in the past 20 years or so to dumb down the game and give complete advantage to the team with the best athletes. They are making it to where if a school doesn’t have superior athletes it is impossible for them to compete. They’ve done it with the way they now call fouls, walks, and now here comes the shot clock.

Don’t make anyone think…it’s our country’s new motto.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (12-16-2022)