Thread: Michigan - Ohio State.....

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    If we lose to UM it would be our most humiliating defeat ever.
    I can see that......there are sugar plum fairies flying over it as well......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Meh it was a major disappointment but my sangfroid is intact. The folks aren’t panicking or making excuses like they’re making out in the press.

We’re pretty Luke warm about backin in if TCU and/or USC loses. Though a potential rematch would be intriguing.
    How you feeling about the playoffs? I just think Georgia is going to be hard to beat but Ohio State does have talent so it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,243 Times in 13,968 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Pac 12 - 12 teams, 2 private schools
    SEC - 14 teams, 1 private school
    Big 10 - 14 teams, 1 private school
    ACC - 14 teams, 4 private schools
    Big 12 - 12 teams, 2 private schools
    and then you have Notre Dame - private school

So considering that public schools far outnumber the private schools it's not all that shocking that public schools win more often. But that doesn't mean private schools can't win. And look at what Miami is doing with their N.I.L. They are at the top among giving deals to their athletes.

Of course money helps but if it were strictly money then schools like Texas and Texas A&M would win every year and that isn't the case.
    And of those ten schools how many do you honestly think will ever play for a national championship?

In time, the SEC will flush Vanderbilt as the Big 10 will do the same with NE. ACC, which has five private schools, will descend in significance, most likely NC, NC St, FLA State, and Clemson will depart at some point to join the SEC. As noted, money is the common denominator, and private schools, unless they want to sell their souls as distinguished institutions, won’t go the money route

And there is nothing wrong with any of that, is what it is, but to portray college football, especially in the future, as anything but professional is inappropriate, best money can buy will succeed

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,263 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

TCU, this is your best chance ever to finally get some national respect from the BIG TEN BRAGGARTS AND SWAGGARTS!

Now just go do your thing and earn it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

leaningright (12-30-2022)

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,167 Times in 33,865 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

I was really proud of KU, what a comeback, what a game! Next year should be a great season.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    And of those ten schools how many do you honestly think will ever play for a national championship?

In time, the SEC will flush Vanderbilt as the Big 10 will do the same with NE. ACC, which has five private schools, will descend in significance, most likely NC, NC St, FLA State, and Clemson will depart at some point to join the SEC. As noted, money is the common denominator, and private schools, unless they want to sell their souls as distinguished institutions, won’t go the money route

And there is nothing wrong with any of that, is what it is, but to portray college football, especially in the future, as anything but professional is inappropriate, best money can buy will succeed
    I grew up a Cal fan. They haven't made a Rose Bowl in my lifetime, let alone play for a national championship. They are obviously a public university. Plenty of public schools don't come close to competing for national championships. My sister went to Colorado. They had quite a run for a 10 - 15 year period and then have completely fallen off. Public school. It's not easy to have sustained success.

USC fans won't stop b*tching that we don't have much of a N.I.L. program in place and keep losing recruits as a result. Yet folks like yourself claim we have no integrity and are buying all these players. Nature of the beast I guess.

Yeah, with N.I.L., the transfer portal and playoffs college football today is different than what we grew up on. I know it turns some people off but right now at least TV isn't paying these massive contracts because they think less people are viewing the game.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Notre Dame has made the playoffs twice and was ranked #1 going into the last BCS Championship game. They were humiliated by Alabama twice and Clemson once.

So yes, some of those private schools will play for a championship.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

I grew up a Cal fan. They haven't made a Rose Bowl in my lifetime, let alone play for a national championship. They are obviously a public university. Plenty of public schools don't come close to competing for national championships. My sister went to Colorado. They had quite a run for a 10 - 15 year period and then have completely fallen off. Public school. It's not easy to have sustained success.

USC fans won't stop b*tching that we don't have much of a N.I.L. program in place and keep losing recruits as a result. Yet folks like yourself claim we have no integrity and are buying all these players. Nature of the beast I guess.

Yeah, with N.I.L., the transfer portal and playoffs college football today is different than what we grew up on. I know it turns some people off but right now at least TV isn't paying these massive contracts because they think less people are viewing the game.
    All I know is that I have greatly enjoyed watching the bowl games this season. These kids are playing their tails off. There have been some great games. Finishing watching Tennessee and Clemson. Seems like Tennessee has the upperhand at the moment but it’s been a great game. That Shipley kid for Clemson … in the medical tent right after a touchdown, coming out to run the two point conversion then going back in to be evaluated. I love stuff like that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

TOP (12-30-2022)

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

How do you find Columbus, Ohio?

Go south until you smell it, go east until you step in it.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    How do you find Columbus, Ohio?

Go south until you smell it, go east until you step in it.
    Our pal Toxic is there !
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Melchizedek = Michael For This Post:

Lightbringer (01-01-2023)

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

How you feeling about the playoffs? I just think Georgia is going to be hard to beat but Ohio State does have talent so it’s not out of the realm of possibility.
    Who knows? I mean OSU is going to put some points up on you. It’s a matter of will the Silver Bullets show up. I’m not looking to deeply in the one loss OSU had. All four teams look beatable to me and all four look like they could win it all. It does suck that once again the SEC team has the home field advantage.

I think what will be interesting in this game is OSU has the best Oline in College ball while UGA has the best Dline. I expect a lot of blitzing from UGA to see if CJ can throw under pressure which I have serious concerns about.

My greates fear though is if OSU wins then plays UM in the championship game and loses. That’s a humiliation that would make my blood run cold.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Who knows? I mean OSU is going to put some points up on you. It’s a matter of will the Silver Bullets show up. I’m not looking to deeply in the one loss OSU had. All four teams look beatable to me and all four look like they could win it all. It does suck that once again the SEC team has the home field advantage.

I think what will be interesting in this game is OSU has the best Oline in College ball while UGA has the best Dline. I expect a lot of blitzing from UGA to see if CJ can throw under pressure which I have serious concerns about.

My greates fear though is if OSU wins then plays UM in the championship game and loses. That’s a humiliation that would make my blood run cold.
    How could losing the championship game be "humiliation"?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Defender of Honor View Post
    How could losing the championship game be "humiliation"?
    It isn't losing the championship that would be such a humiliation. It is losing to Michigan twice in one year that would be so humiliating.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (01-01-2023)

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    It isn't losing the championship that would be such a humiliation. It is losing to Michigan twice in one year that would be so humiliating.
    Only if you live in Columbus!
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Melchizedek = Michael For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (01-01-2023)

20. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Defender of Honor View Post