Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 232

Thread: Tesla Semi-truck stops would consume the electricity of a small town

  1. #121 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    107,768
    Thanks
    60,162
    Thanked 34,882 Times in 26,398 Posts
    Groans
    47,278
    Groaned 4,677 Times in 4,456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Tesla is introducing the truck which this thread is based upon. Just because he is no longer cool does not change the fact that he IS why there are EVs. If you could set aside being petty you would know this.
    That's our Lefty, petty, nitpicking and profoundly irritating are his hallmarks
    As Gustave Le Bo lamented: “The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduces them. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.”

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Primavera For This Post:

    Into the Night (11-25-2022)

  3. #122 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    122,704
    Thanks
    11,106
    Thanked 36,615 Times in 28,864 Posts
    Groans
    3,303
    Groaned 2,684 Times in 2,572 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    .
    This ought not to come as a surprise to anyone conversant with the technology.

    Tesla Semi truck stops would consume the electricity of small town USA as launch event scheduled for December 1

    A utility company has run the numbers and warns that the US grid can't provide the charging power for all the upcoming electric trucks like the Tesla Semi that will be released on December 1. The electrification of a typical gas station would demand the amount needed for a sports stadium, while a regular truck stop would need the electricity of a small town.

    A surge in EV charging demand, especially of the megawatt kind required for electric trucks like the Tesla Semi, would overwhelm the US grid, warns utility company National Grid Plc. Their numbers show that the electrification of just one regular gas station would put a strain on the grid equivalent to that of a sports stadium in 2030.

    A common truck stop full of Tesla Semis or similar electric rigs, on the other hand, will have the electricity consumption of a small US town by 2035, while a highway plaza electric truck and car stop will need the power of an industrial plant by 2045.

    The issue is not with the amount needed, as even in the worst-case scenario with rapid passenger and freight vehicle electrification, the global electricity demand would only be up 15% by 2040, but rather the speed and output that the charge needs to be delivered with.

    The Tesla Semi has a 82,000 lbs (37,195 kg) Gross Weight which it can truck along for up to 500 miles (804 km) on a charge, and its up to 1MWh battery estimate can recover 70% of its capacity in 30 minutes of charging. Tesla wants to solve the grid load problem by topping up the Semi at exclusive Megacharger stations that will be powered by solar energy. One such Megacharger, for instance, is built at the Modesto factory of the Semi's first customer - Pepsi - and Tesla will be holding a dedicated launch event to celebrate the first Semi truck deliveries there on December 1.

    Just like its Superchargers and newfangled North American Charging Standard, though, Tesla's Semi truck Megachargers will also have a competitor in the face of the 3.75MW Megawatt Charging Standard (MCS) for heavy-duty electric vehicles whose documentation is expected to be codified by the respective certification bodies in 2024.

    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tesla-....668564.0.html
    To be fair, have you ever seen the I80 Truck Stop in Walcott, Iowa?......it IS a small town.......

    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  4. #123 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    107,768
    Thanks
    60,162
    Thanked 34,882 Times in 26,398 Posts
    Groans
    47,278
    Groaned 4,677 Times in 4,456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Okay so Tesla is introducing the trucks. Now explain how does that address the topic.
    I am minded to ban you in future, just because you're so fucking irritating and pettifogging.
    As Gustave Le Bo lamented: “The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduces them. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.”

  5. #124 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    77,794
    Thanks
    30,593
    Thanked 18,752 Times in 14,926 Posts
    Groans
    951
    Groaned 2,197 Times in 2,121 Posts

    Default

    This is bizarre. I defended Primavera's OP and he groaned at me.

    I guess he cannot be happy at all time.
    Black Cat Lives Matter

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    The right of citizens to have arms is essential to a community being able to form a militia.
    "It's very yummy" - Toxic Twat, the Fruitcake Critic

  6. The Following User Groans At AProudLefty For This Awful Post:

    Primavera (11-24-2022)

  7. #125 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    77,794
    Thanks
    30,593
    Thanked 18,752 Times in 14,926 Posts
    Groans
    951
    Groaned 2,197 Times in 2,121 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    I am minded to ban you in future, just because you're so fucking irritating and pettifogging.
    That makes zero sense. Elon Musk has nothing to do with your topic and your argument/point.
    Black Cat Lives Matter

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    The right of citizens to have arms is essential to a community being able to form a militia.
    "It's very yummy" - Toxic Twat, the Fruitcake Critic

  8. The Following User Groans At AProudLefty For This Awful Post:

    Primavera (11-24-2022)

  9. #126 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    107,768
    Thanks
    60,162
    Thanked 34,882 Times in 26,398 Posts
    Groans
    47,278
    Groaned 4,677 Times in 4,456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    This is bizarre. I defended Primavera's OP and he groaned at me.

    I guess he cannot be happy at all time.
    You're insane, there's no other explanation.
    As Gustave Le Bo lamented: “The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduces them. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.”

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Primavera For This Post:

    Into the Night (11-25-2022)

  11. #127 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    122,704
    Thanks
    11,106
    Thanked 36,615 Times in 28,864 Posts
    Groans
    3,303
    Groaned 2,684 Times in 2,572 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    Hydrogen is far more practical for long haul trucks.

    International courier DHL is rolling out a new program to pilot long-haul, hydrogen-powered trucks from Breda, in the Netherlands all the way to Brussels, Belgium, reports It Matters To You. Leaders in auto recycling and car removal Melbourne wide, It Matters To You explains why this is a significant advancement towards a greener future for the automotive industry.

    In a world-first trial, DHL’s long haul trucks will rely completely on hydrogen fuel for the full duration of their trips. It Matters To You explains that this ground breaking innovation in clean fuels will work to significantly reduce carbon emissions.

    This is an essential move toward a more sustainable, environmentally friendly future for the automotive industry as up to 350 tonnes of carbon dioxide will be saved on this trip.

    According to It Matters To You, the trucks’ journeys from the Netherlands to Belgium will allow DHL to not only find out whether hydrogen fuels are realistic alternatives to gas and diesel, but will also make sense of the logistics required for longer, more complicated routes.

    This will lay the groundwork for the most efficient journeys possible with the least amount of carbon emissions.

    Hydrogen and other fuel alternatives are gaining traction as a more practical and sustainable solution for an eco-friendly future. Studies have shown that it will take one electric car approximately nine years of regular driving to offset the carbon emission output of the manufacturing process.

    Further, Australia presently is home to just one facility equipped to properly recycle spent lithium-ion batteries, which increases the possibility of Li-ion batteries ending up in landfills.

    With the rollout of these long haul hydrogen-fuelled trucks, It Matters To You and other experts in the automotive field remain optimistic that the future is slowly but surely becoming more sustainable for motorists around the world. Thanks for staying up to date with Hydrogen Central.

    https://hydrogen-central.com/dhl-lon...s-matters-you/

    Breda to Brussels is only about a 100km.......that is not "long haul".......sorry.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  12. #128 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    77,794
    Thanks
    30,593
    Thanked 18,752 Times in 14,926 Posts
    Groans
    951
    Groaned 2,197 Times in 2,121 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    You're insane, there's no other explanation.
    Interesting.

    I pointed out to Celtic Guy that your thread has nothing to do with Elon Musk and you're upset about that? Is he your sugar daddy?
    Black Cat Lives Matter

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    The right of citizens to have arms is essential to a community being able to form a militia.
    "It's very yummy" - Toxic Twat, the Fruitcake Critic

  13. The Following User Groans At AProudLefty For This Awful Post:

    Primavera (11-24-2022)

  14. #129 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    122,704
    Thanks
    11,106
    Thanked 36,615 Times in 28,864 Posts
    Groans
    3,303
    Groaned 2,684 Times in 2,572 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Yeah, when I plug in my Volt, the electricity in Dearborn and Detroit flickers.
    good thing no one else in Michigan was stupid enough to buy one........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  15. #130 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    122,704
    Thanks
    11,106
    Thanked 36,615 Times in 28,864 Posts
    Groans
    3,303
    Groaned 2,684 Times in 2,572 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    By then the grids will be fully upgraded.
    at ten times the cost of operating on fossil fuels.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

    Into the Night (11-25-2022), Primavera (11-24-2022)

  17. #131 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    107,768
    Thanks
    60,162
    Thanked 34,882 Times in 26,398 Posts
    Groans
    47,278
    Groaned 4,677 Times in 4,456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Interesting.

    I pointed out to Celtic Guy that your thread has nothing to do with Elon Musk and you're upset about that? Is he your sugar daddy?
    I am far more concerned about this bullshit!

    Again, I am trying to explain to you that Primavera omitted a fact and wanted you to believe that will strain the grid immediately next month.
    As Gustave Le Bo lamented: “The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduces them. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.”

  18. #132 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    23,397
    Thanks
    2,533
    Thanked 9,537 Times in 6,554 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 2,263 Times in 2,088 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    Breda to Brussels is only about a 100km.......that is not "long haul".......sorry.......
    Good catch.

    I personally am very much in favor of hydrogen research, but it is not all there yet, and it may never be.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
    Paul Begala, "Politics is show business for ugly people."
    Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well known liberal bias."

  19. #133 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    23,397
    Thanks
    2,533
    Thanked 9,537 Times in 6,554 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 2,263 Times in 2,088 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    at ten times the cost of operating on fossil fuels.......
    Usually the costs of infrastructure is many times the operating costs. We do it because the costs of just coasting becomes higher and higher until they run a business out of business.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
    Paul Begala, "Politics is show business for ugly people."
    Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well known liberal bias."

  20. #134 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    81,464
    Thanks
    7,816
    Thanked 27,783 Times in 17,708 Posts
    Groans
    276
    Groaned 4,654 Times in 4,228 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    I've already presented enough evidence whilst your only response was to say untrue, how about you tell us all what's untrue.
    You’ve presented 0
    4,487

    18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

  21. The Following User Groans At Jarod For This Awful Post:

    Primavera (11-24-2022)

  22. #135 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    107,768
    Thanks
    60,162
    Thanked 34,882 Times in 26,398 Posts
    Groans
    47,278
    Groaned 4,677 Times in 4,456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    Breda to Brussels is only about a 100km.......that is not "long haul".......sorry.......
    Stop pettifogging, there and back is 200kms!
    As Gustave Le Bo lamented: “The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduces them. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.”

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-09-2021, 08:17 AM
  2. Small-town hospitals overwhelmed by COVID-19 deaths
    By guno in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 11-17-2020, 04:57 AM
  3. small town vs big city
    By Norah in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-25-2016, 06:28 PM
  4. Trouble in an otherwise awesome small town
    By DamnYankee in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-17-2013, 08:58 AM
  5. APP - small town politics snare science teacher
    By Don Quixote in forum Above Plain Politics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2013, 08:17 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •