Page 6 of 97 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: The bible

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 41 Times in 39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Defender of Honor View Post
    How bout that
    Good ole boys organized Islamidiotoctacy Mohammed pedophilia will be giving thanks tomorrow with that supreme swastika up Uranus kangaroo court of thieving US Constitution - old glory - old testament - absentee voting ballots arsonists national Christian Nation religion of "man is God".

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 32 Times in 29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saltydancin View Post
    So you chose not to preach the virtues of Islam Mohammed pedophilia in America with Christianity or just make money from it ?
    What makes you think I like Islam? I hate all religion.

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 32 Times in 29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    you seem to prefer bragging about your knowledge instead of sharing it......I suggest you either trot it out or shut the fuck up.....
    Ok. Let's start with Philo of Alexandria. He was a first-century Jewish mystic who wrote extensively about Jerusalem. He wrote about all sorts of mundane political events in the city. He wrote about Herod and about Pontius Pilate. He writes about his desire to find the Jewish messiah, and how many people in his day were claiming to be the messiah.

Yet not once does he mention Jesus. If the Bible is to be believed, Jesus spent three years wandering Israel, performing miracles for crowds of people. According to Matthew, once Jesus died the corpses of the prophets rose from their tombs and roamed the streets of Jerusalem. Yet Philo mentions none of it. Why? Why would he spend pages discussing mundane events in Jerusalem yet forget to mention that Jerusalem was invaded by zombies for a day?

Logic dictates that he never mentioned it because it never happened.

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,969 Times in 14,556 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 949 Times in 933 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I've thought of that. Same should apply to the men of the cloth!

But, I actually attended church for about 18 years, and I have heard a lot of things quoted as gospel by some preachers that was not quite Gospel!

Sorry, I was born in a Baptist family and went to a Baptist Church- where anytime you found 4 baptists gathering, there would always be a 5th!

OK a 750 MIL now for you youngsters!
    Some men of the cloth have no relationship with God. For example the pedophilia problem in the Catholic Church.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

Geeko Sportivo (11-23-2022), Into the Night (12-02-2022)

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by America View Post
    Ok. Let's start with Philo of Alexandria. He was a first-century Jewish mystic who wrote extensively about Jerusalem. He wrote about all sorts of mundane political events in the city. He wrote about Herod and about Pontius Pilate. He writes about his desire to find the Jewish messiah, and how many people in his day were claiming to be the messiah.

Yet not once does he mention Jesus. If the Bible is to be believed, Jesus spent three years wandering Israel, performing miracles for crowds of people. According to Matthew, once Jesus died the corpses of the prophets rose from their tombs and roamed the streets of Jerusalem. Yet Philo mentions none of it. Why? Why would he spend pages discussing mundane events in Jerusalem yet forget to mention that Jerusalem was invaded by zombies for a day?

Why would a JEW who rejected Christ give credit to Christ. The Jews wanted to ignore Christ and his power. Much like how our news media tends to ignore news that they don't think fits their narrative today. A great example just admitted Hunter's laptop is genuine after over 750 days of ignoring it. A Jew wouldn't recognize things that threatened his personal power as a Jew. Christ's message threatened to dissolve Jewish religion.
    Last edited by ExpressLane; 11-23-2022 at 09:35 AM.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

Into the Night (12-02-2022)

8. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    Why would a JEW who rejected Christ give credit to Christ. The Jews wanted to ignore Christ and his power. Much like how our news media tends to ignore news that they don't think fits their narrative today. A great example just admitted Hunter's laptop is genuine after over 750 days of ignoring it. A Jew wouldn't recognize things that threatened his personal power as a Jew. Christ's message threatened to dissolve Jewish religion.
    The first century Jewish historian Josephus wrote about Jesus and his execution by Roman authorities.

There was no reason for Jesus to be widely known before the late first century. He was an obscure Jewish mystic who mainly taught in the backwater province of Galilee to a relatively small following of Jewish peasants. The New Testament obviously embellishes and idealizes his actions and importance prior to 30 CE. To the Romans, Jesus was just one of dozens of Jewish mystics preaching an apocalyptic message.

History was not written down in antiquity in the format we are accustomed to today. That said, the histories part of the Old Testament is about as good a historical source as we can get, and it is substantially superior to any histories left to us by the Mesopotamians, Hittites, or Assyrians.

Acts in the new testament is generally considered of significant value to historians for it's historical information (though sometimes idealized) on the early Christian communities.

9. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,073 Times in 6,783 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

It's an amazing historical document. But it needs to be viewed in light of the time & circumstances when the stories actually happened, when it was written, and who it was written by.

To me, it's almost like "The Iliad." There is some truth to it, but a lot of mythology as well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

Phantasmal (11-23-2022)

11. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

In my youth, I was planning to become an Orthodox priest.
    The Bible has been debunked for generations. It's a collection of fairy tales, and anyone who denies this is either ignorant or deceitful.
    It's hard to believe you studied to be an Orthodox priest without being aware that the historical books of the Old Testament give some of the best historical information we have about the Near East from the first and second temple periods.

The Pentateuch is obviously primarily mythology and allegory from a much older period of Hebrew culture.

There are no serious scholars of antiquity who doubt Jesus existed and was executed by Roman authorities; whether he was divine or how much of his actions and words were later embellished or exaggerated is open to skepticism.

12. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Cypress;5380739]The first century Jewish historian Josephus wrote about Jesus and his execution by Roman authorities.

There was no reason for Jesus to be widely known before the late first century. He was an obscure Jewish mystic who mainly taught in the backwater province of Galilee to a relatively small following of Jewish peasants. The New Testament obviously embellishes and idealizes his actions and importance prior to 30 CE. To the Romans, Jesus was just one of dozens of Jewish mystics preaching an apocalyptic message.

History was not written down in antiquity in the format we are accustomed to today. That said, the histories part of the Old Testament is about as good a historical source as we can get, and it is substantially superior to any histories left to us by the Mesopotamians, Hittites, or Assyrians.

Acts in the new testament is generally considered of significant value to historians for it's historical information (though sometimes idealized) on the early Christian communities.
    Thousands of Jews converted shortyly after Christ's death. The early Christian Church worshiped on the 7th day Sabbath. The Jerusalem Christian church fled Jerusalem and went to Pella and avoided being destroyed in 70 AD They worshipped on the Sabbath for more than 400 more years.

The people of the Church in Jerusalem were commanded by an oracle given by revelation before the war to those in the city who were worthy of it to depart and dwell in one of the cities of Perea which they called Pella. To it those who believed on Christ traveled from Jerusalem, so that when holy men had altogether deserted the royal capital of the Jews and the whole land of Judaea…"

— Eusebius, Church History 3, 5, 3
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

13. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saltydancin View Post
    Good ole boys organized Islamidiotoctacy Mohammed pedophilia will be giving thanks tomorrow with that supreme swastika up Uranus kangaroo court of thieving US Constitution - old glory - old testament - absentee voting ballots arsonists national Christian Nation religion of "man is God".
    You misspelled your anus.
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

14. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    It's hard to believe you studied to be an Orthodox priest without being aware that the historical books of the Old Testament give some of the best historical information we have about the Near East from the first and second temple periods.

The Pentateuch is obviously primarily mythology and allegory from a much older period of Hebrew culture.

There are no serious scholars of antiquity who doubt Jesus existed and was executed by Roman authorities; whether he was divine or how much of his actions and words were later embellished or exaggerated is open to skepticism.
    Pentateuch "is obviously primarily mythology" is an assumption.
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

15. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Pentateuch "is obviously primarily mythology" is an assumption.
    I don't think Jonah actually lived in the belly of a whale or that Noah built a boat that could hold every animal species in the world

More likely, these are stories intended to impart some lesson or wisdom like the rest of the literature of the ancient world, aka Gilgamesh was probably based on a real historical king, but the story was obviously literary in it's intent.

16. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I don't think Jonah actually lived in the belly of a whale or that Noah built a boat that could hold every animal species in the world

More likely, these are stories intended to impart some lesson or wisdom like the rest of the literature of the ancient world
    I believe both,the important thing about Noah is where did he sail from? And how modern was society at that time.
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I

17. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

why?......it would be more logical to believe he never mentioned it because he didn't hear about it.....I expect in those days there were many things that people didn't hear about in other lands........for example, the wise men didn't show up in Jerusalem until three years later......strange way to start your attack on the bible......do you have anything with a little more meat on it than your silly assumptions......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

18. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I believe both,the important thing about Noah is where did he sail from? And how modern was society at that time.
    Agamemnon, Abraham, Gilgamesh were probably real kings or chieftains, but the mythology and stories of Genesis and the rest of the Pentateuch are stories that evolved as a literary device based on centuries of oral tradition.