Thread: Sweet GTO...

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Default Sweet GTO...

Saw this sweet little thang at the Ponte Vedra Auto Show this past Sunday.

It was fucking beautiful...

pv138a.jpg
    Last edited by Street Glider; 11-16-2022 at 02:48 PM.
    Life is better when you live it on your own terms...

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,079 Times in 7,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

I had a 1965 Tri-Power. GTO. Four speed manual 389, but you really needed a Bonneville 421 transplant to make it go.
    Possibly the worst car that I ever owned.

Now, decades later, I have an even older 1962 Corvette named Mazikeen, but I can barely climb in and out of it anymore.
    She's sleeping for the winter, but if I'm still around next spring, I'll take her out again.
    By the way, the only thing 1962 about her is her fully restored body shell and her VIN.

No luck at all with the Pontiac, all those years ago.
    It was in the shop more than on the road.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm more of a Mopar guy:

50181091162_cb060e2ced_o.jpg

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,242 Times in 10,706 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 579 Times in 563 Posts
    Blog Entries

67 Camero 327 $3200 new, 70 Buick GS 350 $4200 new. Both went through clutches. My wife has a lead foot.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
    Saw this sweet little thang at the Ponte Vedra Auto Show this past Sunday.

It was fucking beautiful...

pv138a.jpg
    Sweet! Red Neck birth control at its finest.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Sweet! Red Neck birth control at its finest.
    Not sure what that means, but alrighty!

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Not sure what that means, but alrighty!
    That’s what we called GTO’s back in the 70’s when I was in high school. GTO’s great power and torque. God help you if you had to stop or turn. LOL

My sister let my late brother in-law buy a rusted out old GTO as a project car to rebuild and you would have to of known my brother in-law but giving him a GTO to rebuild would have been like giving a machine gun to a monkey. The worst part was he was a master tool-maker. I’m sure he would have done a great job rebuilding it. It was his getting behind the wheel after he had that was a bit sketchy. LOL
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,266 Times in 7,148 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

This was my little 69 Dart Swinger w/340 magnum. Not this one, but one just like it! I bought it from the dealership brand new when I was a Senior in High School for $2900.

I worked part time in the Meat Market and paid cash for it! It was my 4th car!

It could eat GTO's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner- But not Da Judge! That was an animal!

Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 11-17-2022 at 11:37 PM.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    That’s what we called GTO’s back in the 70’s when I was in high school. GTO’s great power and torque. God help you if you had to stop or turn. LOL

My sister let my late brother in-law buy a rusted out old GTO as a project car to rebuild and you would have to of known my brother in-law but giving him a GTO to rebuild would have been like giving a machine gun to a monkey. The worst part was he was a master tool-maker. I’m sure he would have done a great job rebuilding it. It was his getting behind the wheel after he had that was a bit sketchy. LOL
    LOLOL!!!

Okay, that made me laugh out loud, because I've actually seen what happens when you do that!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Street Glider For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (11-18-2022)

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    This was my little 69 Dart Swinger w/340 magnum. Not this one, but one just like it! I bought it from the dealership brand new when I was a Senior in High School for $2900.

I worked part time in the Meat Market and paid cash for it! It was my 4th car!

It could eat GTO's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner- But not Da Judge! That was an animal!

That car was a sleeper, for sure.

In 1975, my Dad bought a Plymouth Fury with a 360 4-barrel police package in it. It was similar to this one, only in silver with a maroon top:

images_plymouth_fury_1975_3_b.jpg

That car was fuckin' possessed. It was the height of the gas crisis, so the left front directional, which say atop the fender, would light up continuously when you were wasting gas. I could get a half a tank of gas for five bucks back then.

I only ever lost one race in that car...

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,266 Times in 7,148 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

That car was a sleeper, for sure.

In 1975, my Dad bought a Plymouth Fury with a 360 4-barrel police package in it. It was similar to this one, only in silver with a maroon top:

images_plymouth_fury_1975_3_b.jpg

That car was fuckin' possessed. It was the height of the gas crisis, so the left front directional, which say atop the fender, would light up continuously when you were wasting gas. I could get a half a tank of gas for five bucks back then.

I only ever lost one race in that car...
    People would be surprised how little difference the ET times in the 1/4 mile between the stock 69 Cuda, Road Runner, Dodge Swinger, Charger, RT, and etc. They all weighed in somewhere around 28 hundred pounds off the showroom floor. They all had around 350 - 375 horsepower. The 340 was a little special as it was a short stoke, even shorter with the shaved heads, with the polished ports, valves, and springs, and which was the main difference between the 360 and the 340 magnum. Of course little differences like opting for a 4-speed vs. the Torqueflyte automatics, would get you a little faster ET. And the Giant Thermoquad carbs, that came stock in all of these models, tended to bog down for a few milliseconds when you floored them. And they all came with Firestone wide ovals E60's that would burn rubber and smoke all the way through 1st, if not 2nd gear, as well, and a quick little 3rd gear scratch just for funzies and braggart rights, but actually just killing your ET. Not to mention the little 4th gear smoking scratch, if you had a 4 speed. And all the torqueflytes bands would slip all the way through the quarter, if they were still hot from the race before. THEY HAD TO KOOL DOWN BETWEEN RACES. A transmission cooler would resolve this issue.

My answer to this bogging dilemma, was a Holly 660 center-squirter carb and the addition of an Edelbrock High-Rise manifold. I added some horsepower by adding some tuned Hooker Headers that had dump valves that could be manually opened to bypass the dual exhaust muffler system, and I started switching over to a couple of cheater slicks that I used only when drag racing. They helped my ET by a full second.

Some of these MOPARS had more streamlined windshields than others, and some were lower to the ground, and had less resistance to the wind in your face or the wind that would get up under the car and slow them down. The Cudas and Challengers seemed to have a better wind resistance than the sedan models like mine. At 150 MPH, it made a huge difference.

It was fun and we all were within a couple of car doors or car lengths at the end of a Quarter Mile race from each other - depending mostly on aftermarket solutions to the common problems to give you just that little slight advantage to win the race.

I had friends in school that had all these cars, and I would show up at the student parking lot before class, and say, "Allright! Who called for this meeting of the Mopars"?!

With all the Boss 302 Mousestangs, Ford GT's, SS 396's, 442's, Javelins, and GTO's, toss in a few souped up Corvette engined 55 and 57 Chevies, and our student parking looked more like a Car Show!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 11-18-2022 at 04:58 PM.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,851 Times in 14,189 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Had a 1966 Pontiac Le Mans Hardtop Coupe 326 V-8 4-speed .
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post

With all the Boss 302 Mousestangs, Ford GT's, SS 396's, 442's, Javelins, and GTO's, toss in a few souped up Corvette engined 55 and 57 Chevies, and our student parking looked more like a Car Show!
    I love Mopars, and I love my '69 Charger.

I'd probably be inclined to let it go in a New York minute, though, if I could find one of these that was even semi-moderately priced:

tent15.jpg

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Street Glider For This Post:

Geeko Sportivo (11-18-2022)