Thread: What Do You Collect?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,178 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
    That's nuts!

At the height of my collecting, I had 48 guitars; electric, acoustic, Gibson, Fender, Martin, Taylor, Guild, Rickenbacker, PRS.

After a while I decided to liquidate and keep only a select few.

I've had many amps through the years, but my favorites were a Marshall Bluesbreaker reissue, a '62 (brown) Fender Princeton and a British made (19665m maybe?) Vox AC-15. That may have been the sweetest sounding amp I've ever played through...
    I've always wanted one of those new re-issue Bluesbreakers- mostly because I was Big fan of Clapton when he was with the Bluesbreakers! Hey, I'll trade you my MINTY QUEENY SPECIAL AC30CC2 w/Alnico Creambacks for your AC15 RIGHT NOW!

Yep this stuff gets in your blood don't it? LIKE A VIRUS! LIKE A POISON!

It's nice to know we have some other hopelessly and totally sick guitfiddlers round' here!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 11-15-2022 at 07:44 PM.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

[QUOTE=NiftyNiblick;5369422]
    Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post

The band to which I alluded doesn't have amps on the bandstand. Just a few monitors.
    The electric instruments are "direct input" to the mixer.
    Rock bands don't like to do that because the amp sound is part of the music, I'm told.
    It varies.

A lot of bands have moved away from having amplifiers onstage and going through their pedal board then into a DI box.

Personally, I always liked having an amp on stage, even if it's only something like a Deluxe Reverb. I figure I can always slap an SM-57 in front of it and run it through the mains...
    Life is better when you live it on your own terms...

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    As I sit here I cant think of anything that I have ever collected, not even as a kid did I do that.
    I must confess, I was in the Boy Scouts from CUB to Eagle- and we got merit badges for collecting things. Back in those days, it was like Model Cars and planes and things, Baseball cards etc. But I lived my whole life collecting something ever since!

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I've always wanted one of those new re-issue Bluesbreakers- mostly because I was Big fan of Clapton when he was with the Bluesbreakers! Hey, I'll trade you my MINTY QUEENY SPECIAL AC30CC2 w/Alnico Creambacks for your AC15 RIGHT NOW!

Yep this stuff gets in your blood don't it? LIKE A VIRUS! LIKE A POISON!

It's nice to know we have some other hopelessly and totally sick guitfiddlers round' here!
    The problem with the Bluesbreaker is that it's freaking heavy as fuck. It always went into a venue on a hand-truck. No way was I carrying that thing in and out.

And I sold the AC-15 about 15 years ago.

Yeah, I regret it...
    Last edited by Street Glider; 11-15-2022 at 09:29 PM.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

[QUOTE=NiftyNiblick;5369422]
    Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post

The band to which I alluded doesn't have amps on the bandstand. Just a few monitors.
    The electric instruments are "direct input" to the mixer.
    Rock bands don't like to do that because the amp sound is part of the music, I'm told.
    I jam with all kinds of people and a lot of people do that now that show up at the jams. Me I lug in my 65 lb Twin like a fool! But, Hey! I am totally in control of what I sound like. Here of late, I have been playing a lot of acoustic, and my Fender Acoustasonic 150 is lightweight and I even play my electric guitar through it, and I can drive right through the mix with confidence!

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 Times in 6,110 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

My collecting days are done. I would jump on a collecting binge every once and a while but I end up with too much gathering dust. I got various collections from Star Wars, rocks & minerals, and various trading card games.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jade Dragon For This Post:

evince (11-20-2022)

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
    The problem with the Bluesbreaker is that it's freaking heavy as fuck. It always went into a venue on a hand-truck. NO way was I carrying that thing in and out.

And I sold the AC-15 about 15 years ago.

Yeah, I regret it...
    Yes, I had to buy road cases for my larger amps now with wheels. But, there are guys in the band that are 20 years younger than me now, and they move that stuff for me. They usually have me all set up before I even get there- because GRAND PAW IS GETTIN' A LITTLE SLOW! LOL!

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,787 Times in 32,153 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

my wife says I collect collections......diecast cars and tractors, marbles, action figures, harmonicas, walking sticks and canes, gin, men's jewelry, smoking paraphernalia, minerals and fossils.....among others.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

[QUOTE=Geeko Sportivo;5369517]
    Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post

I jam with all kinds of people and a lot of people do that now that show up at the jams. Me I lug in my 65 lb Twin like a fool! But, Hey! I am totally in control of what I sound like. Here of late, I have been playing a lot of acoustic, and my Fender Acoustasonic 150 is lightweight and I even play my electric guitar through it, and I can drive right through the mix with confidence!
    Back when I was playing a lot of acoustic, I treated myself to a Bose L1 (one of the early versions). We could run two guitars and two mics through it and fill up a room with sound...

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

[QUOTE=Street Glider;5369542]

Back when I was playing a lot of acoustic, I treated myself to a Bose L1 (one of the early versions). We could run two guitars and two mics through it and fill up a room with sound...
    Nice! I recently lucked into a Mobile 1 AER acoustic with a 12 v. that I use in conjunction with my Acoustasonic 150. It's also great for Busking! I've always wanted one since I saw Tommy Emmanuel use one at the Majestic theater. I got it for about half what they are going for in a trade!

But, I would love to have a Fender Reverb Deluxe like yours! But now the used ones are selling for more than the new ones!

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,770 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

I collect Guitars and amps! I currently have 38 guitars, 14 are electric US Fender Strats or Tele's, and 15 various tube amps, mostly Fender! I usually have a booth at the guitar shows in my 5 state area. I also repair and set-up guitars. Give guitar lessons, and play guitar in a local band. It's crazy I know, but I have over 100 pedals!

But that's not the craziest collection I have. I am the only nut I know that has over 30,000 45 rpm records, mostly all hand selected, mostly in NM condition, I have collected over the last 60 years. Not just from the US, as I have records from all over the world. Every one is a classic, mostly with it's original factory sleeve, or a color sleeve, mostly Black, and protective plastic clear outside sleeves to protect them. It's one of the largest Garage Band collections on the planet, same for my revered Rockabilly collection, and also the same for my rare Northern Soul collection. They are all for sale now! I sell on various Media platforms, and at most of the big record shows across America. I have over 1,000 Beatles 45's from just about every country on the planet- and 100's of their picture sleeves. Rolling Stones same thing!

I also have over 12 thousand albums. And I have approximately 2500 Radio Station PROMO 12 inch SINGLES records from the 70's and 80's! I sort of bought out a radio station once.

This may explain why I also collect Ex-wives!

But Hey, they are still one of my favorite collections!

And no, I don't keep them in the basement or attic! LOL!
    Those are collections which I wouldn't mind having [less the ex-wives--the Gestapo has been nagging me for fifty years so one is enough]..
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,770 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

[QUOTE=Street Glider;5369483]

It varies.

A lot of bands have moved away from having amplifiers onstage and going through their pedal board then into a DI box.

Personally, I always liked having an amp on stage, even if it's only something like a Deluxe Reverb. I figure I can always slap an SM-57 in front of it and run it through the mains...
    The sound man on the mixer must go insane when musicians on the bandstand have access to their own amplifiers.
    At least with a horn band, I would think. My friend's 10-piece ensemble has four musicians with six electric instruments eschewing amps for direct to mixer--
    Nord keyboard,
    Roland keyboard,
    jazz archtop + Strat,
    and upright bass with bridge pickup + Fender Frankenbass (Jazz Bass neck on Precision Bass body).
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Those are collections which I wouldn't mind having [less the ex-wives--the Gestapo has been nagging me for fifty years so one is enough]..
    I've had to think back and reflect- What do I really have to regret or complain about?

I've had the best of both worlds- A couple of good marriages- and a great single life before, in between, and after both marriages.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (11-19-2022), NiftyNiblick (11-16-2022)

16. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Dust.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

evince (11-20-2022)

18. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Since the 80's been collecting Soviet stuff,, watches, lighters medals etc
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם