Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Collect?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 9 Times in 9 Posts

Default What Do You Collect?

Everyone seems to collect something.

I collected $2 bills for a while. I don't know why, I just did. There's no special value to them, they just seem to be an oddity.

I used to collect vintage guitars and amplifiers, but that got a bit spendy. My late wife once took umbrage at me spending $17,000 on a custom color Fender Stratocaster some years back, but she relented when I sold it for $31,000 some years later. For a while I collected Bald Eagles; figurines, photos, stuffed animals, etc. That got way out of hand, though, and I started running out of room. I spent a while collecting fine watches, but that gets to be an expensive hobby real fast. I now have just a few very nice pieces which I enjoy wearing.

I now collect vintage cameras and Kodak memorabilia, and have a pretty formidable collection of each.

So, whaddya' collect?
    Life is better when you live it on your own terms...

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,041 Times in 6,685 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 543 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post

I collected $2 bills for a while. I don't know why, I just did. There's no special value to them, they just seem to be an oddity.

I used to collect vintage guitars and amplifiers, but that got a bit spendy. My late wife once took umbrage at me spending $17,000 on a custom color Fender Stratocaster some years back, but she relented when I sold it for $31,000 some years later. For a while I collected Bald Eagles; figurines, photos, stuffed animals, etc. That got way out of hand, though, and I started running out of room. I spent a while collecting fine watches, but that gets to be an expensive hobby real fast. I now have just a few very nice pieces which I enjoy wearing.

I now collect vintage cameras and Kodak memorabilia, and have a pretty formidable collection of each.

So, whaddya' collect?
    Stolen 2020 trump ballots.

I own a 78 Fender Strat, Black with a tremolo bar.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

evince (11-20-2022)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    Stolen 2020 trump ballots.
    Ah, so that's where they went...

I own a 78 Fender Strat, Black with a tremolo bar.
    What do you think of the three-bolt neck?

I had a '79 for a while and, despite all the negative press that CBS got for the three-bolt neck, mine was pretty rock solid...
    Last edited by Street Glider; 11-15-2022 at 09:27 PM.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,074 Times in 7,505 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

I collected guns when I was a kid--I still have nine, I believe, somewhere in storage--
    but I completely lost interest after my military service.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Doc Dutch (11-19-2022), evince (11-20-2022)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Street Glider;5369371]
    Stolen 2020 trump ballots.[p/quote]

Ah, so that's where they went...

What do you think of the three-bolt neck?

I had a '79 for a while and, despite all the negative press that CBS got for the three-bolt neck, mine was pretty rock solid...
    I have not heard the term, "three bolt neck". Prior to the 78 Strat, I had a white 76 Strat with a "bird's eye" maple neck. No tremolo bar. Without the tremolo works it made the instrument much lighter. It caught a lot of people's eye before it was stolen from my high school music room along with a bunch of other instruments. That's when I bought the black one.

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

evince (11-20-2022)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

[QUOTE=LurchAddams;5369391]

I have not heard the term, "three bolt neck". Prior to the 78 Strat, I had a white 76 Strat with a "bird's eye" maple neck. No tremolo bar. Without the tremolo works it made the instrument much lighter. It caught a lot of people's eye before it was stolen from my high school music room along with a bunch of other instruments. That's when I bought the black one.
    My friend is a guitarist in a ten-piece band--five horns, two keys, guitar, bass, and drums.
    The two keyboard players are the male and female lead vocalists.
    Whoever has the lead vocal plays his or her keyboard in piano voice, while the other plays in a different preset like organ, accordion, or string ensemble.

His secondary or "dirty" guitar is a black Strat with maple fingerboard and white pearloid pickguard.
    His clean guitar for then usual "Freddie Green" work is a Sadowsky SS-15 jazz archtop.
    He also has a nylon string classical guitar that he doesn't play with the band, but I can't remember the luthier. who made it

In addition to the gamers, he has an entire collection of vintage guitars that he keeps in a climate-controlled vault.
    I understand that the collection is worth a few bucks, so I'm sure that his two kids will sell them when he's gone.

I think Fenders with rosewood rather than maple necks look unfinished if they have the standard maple headstock.
    The maple necked ones look ok, but the dark-necked ones should have either black or matching headstocks by my aesthetic tastes.

Sorry. I guess this thread was about collections, not specifically guitars.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

LurchAddams (11-15-2022)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

After CBS bought Fender from Leo Fender in '65, their bean counters tried all kinds of ways to cuts costs. Going to the three-bolt "micro tilt" neck was one of them (actually at the behest of Leo, who had been kept on as a consultant). They also started making their own tuning machines instead of buying Klusons.

The two biggest changes CBS made with Fender, though, remain the three-bolt neck and the addition of a Master Volume control to many of their amplifiers.

I used to have a blackface Showman, which came as a piggy-back set-up with a 1x15" cabinet with a JBL-D130. At 85 watts, it was like a Fender Twin, but in a head (it also lacked reverb). Thankfully, it also lacked the Master Volume.

I swear, that amp would damn-near give you a haircut...
    Last edited by Street Glider; 11-15-2022 at 09:28 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Street Glider For This Post:

LurchAddams (11-15-2022)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=NiftyNiblick;5369408]

My friend is a guitarist in a ten-piece band--five horns, two keys, guitar, bass, and drums.
    The two keyboard players are the male and female lead vocalists.
    Whoever has the lead vocal plays his or her keyboard in piano voice, while the other plays in a different preset like organ, accordion, or string ensemble.

His secondary or "dirty" guitar is a black Strat with maple fingerboard and white pearloid pickguard.
    His clean guitar for then usual "Freddie Green" work is a Sadowsky SS-15 jazz archtop.
    He also has a nylon string classical guitar that he doesn't play with the band, but I can't remember the luthier. who made it

In addition to the gamers, he has an entire collection of vintage guitars that he keeps in a climate-controlled vault.
    I understand that the collection is worth a few bucks, so I'm sure that his two kids will sell them when he's gone.

I think Fenders with rosewood rather than maple necks look unfinished if they have the standard maple headstock.
    The maple necked ones look ok, but the dark-necked ones should have either black or matching headstocks by my aesthetic tastes.

Sorry. I guess this thread was about collections, not specifically guitars.
    Man, what treasure chest you friend has! Nice!

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,110 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

So, whaddya' collect?
    As I sit here I cant think of anything that I have ever collected, not even as a kid did I do that.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Street Glider;5369412]

After CBS bought Fender from Leo Fender in '65, their bean counters tried all kinds of ways to cuts costs. Going to the three-bolt "micro tilt" neck was one of them (actually at the behest of Leo, who had been kept on as a consultant). They also started making their own tuning machines instead of buying Klusons.

The two biggest changes CBS made with Fender, though, remain the three-bolt neck and the addition of a Master Volume control to many of their amplifiers.

I used to have a blackface Showman, which came as a piggy-back set-up with a 1x15" cabinet with a JBL-D130. At 85 watts, it was like a Fender Twin, but in a head (it also lacked reverb). Thankfully, it also lacked the Master Volume.

I swear, that amp would damn-near give you a haircut...
    LOL, I have a tiny "Crate" amp, the casing is made of natural wood. It has a gain and a "master gain dial and reverb. It's plenty good for personal use. I'd have to "mike" it if I ever had to perform anywhere.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

[QUOTE=LurchAddams;5369419]

LOL, I have a tiny "Crate" amp, the casing is made of natural wood. It has two gain dials and reverb. It's plenty good for personal use. I'd have to "mike" it if I ever had to perform anywhere.
    The band to which I alluded doesn't have amps on the bandstand. Just a few monitors.
    The electric instruments are "direct input" to the mixer.
    Rock bands don't like to do that because the amp sound is part of the music, I'm told.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

LurchAddams (11-15-2022)

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post

The band to which I alluded doesn't have amps on the bandstand. Just a few monitors.
    The electric instruments are "direct input" to the mixer.
    Rock bands don't like to do that because the amp sound is part of the music, I'm told.
    I'm a rocker from the 70's. Rush, Ted Nugent, Boston, Grand Funk, Deep Purple, etc.

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,262 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

I collect Guitars and amps! I currently have 38 guitars, 14 are electric US Fender Strats or Tele's, and 15 various tube amps, mostly Fender! I usually have a booth at the guitar shows in my 5 state area. I also repair and set-up guitars. Give guitar lessons, and play guitar in a local band. It's crazy I know, but I have over 100 pedals!

But that's not the craziest collection I have. I am the only nut I know that has over 30,000 45 rpm records, mostly all hand selected, mostly in NM condition, I have collected over the last 60 years. Not just from the US, as I have records from all over the world. Every one is a classic, mostly with it's original factory sleeve, or a color sleeve, mostly Black, and protective plastic clear outside sleeves to protect them. It's one of the largest Garage Band collections on the planet, same for my revered Rockabilly collection, and also the same for my rare Northern Soul collection. They are all for sale now! I sell on various Media platforms, and at most of the big record shows across America. I have over 1,000 Beatles 45's from just about every country on the planet- and 100's of their picture sleeves. Rolling Stones same thing!

I also have over 12 thousand albums. And I have approximately 2500 Radio Station PROMO 12 inch SINGLES records from the 70's and 80's! I sort of bought out a radio station once.

This may explain why I also collect Ex-wives!

But Hey, they are still one of my favorite collections!

And no, I don't keep them in the basement or attic! LOL!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 11-15-2022 at 07:30 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

evince (11-20-2022)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

LOL, I have a tiny "Crate" amp, the casing is made of natural wood. It has a gain and a "master gain dial and reverb. It's plenty good for personal use. I'd have to "mike" it if I ever had to perform anywhere.
    Hah! That was my very first amp. I bought it off a buddy of mine for $50 after he bought a Dean Markley amp...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Street Glider For This Post:

LurchAddams (11-15-2022)

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I collect Guitars and amps! I currently have 38 guitars, 14 are electric US Fender Strats or Tele's, and 15 various tube amps, mostly Fender! I usually have a booth at the guitar shows in my 5 state area. I also repair and set-up guitars. Give guitar lessons, and play guitar in a local band. It's crazy I know, but I have over 100 pedals!

But that's not the craziest collection I have. I am the only nut I know that has over 30,000 45 rpm records, mostly all hand selected, mostly in NM condition, I have collected over the last 60 years. Not just from the US, as I have records from all over the world. Every one is a classic, mostly with it's original factory sleeve, or a color sleeve, mostly Black, and protective plastic clear outside sleeves to protect them. It's one of the largest Garage Band collections on the planet, same for my revered Rockabilly collection, and also the same for my rare Northern Soul collection. They are all for sale now! I sell on various Media platforms, and at most of the big record shows across America. I have over 1,000 Beatles 45's from just about every country on the planet- and 100's of their picture sleeves. Rolling Stones same thing!

I also have over 12 thousand albums. All different.

This may explain why I also collect Ex-wives!
    That's nuts!

At the height of my collecting, I had 48 guitars; electric, acoustic, Gibson, Fender, Martin, Taylor, Guild, Rickenbacker, PRS.

After a while I decided to liquidate and keep only a select few.

I've had many amps through the years, but my favorites were a Marshall Bluesbreaker reissue, a '62 (brown) Fender Princeton and a British made (1965, maybe?) Vox AC-15. That may have been the sweetest sounding amp I've ever played through...
    Last edited by Street Glider; 11-15-2022 at 09:28 PM.