Members banned from this thread: evince and Doc Dutch

Thread: Will Our War-for-Profit System Lead to Nuclear Annihilation? | Scheerpost

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 25 Times in 24 Posts

Default Will Our War-for-Profit System Lead to Nuclear Annihilation? | Scheerpost

I found this article, just published on Scheerpost and written by Leonard Goodman, to be quite good, thought others might find it interesting as well...

November 9, 2022

The US continues to fan the flames of nuclear conflict with massive investments in the war department. How long can this last?

By Leonard C. Goodman / Original to ScheerPost

A recent poll conducted by the Quincy Institute found that 57% of likely voters strongly or somewhat support the US pursuing diplomatic negotiations as soon as possible to end the war in Ukraine, even if it requires Ukraine making compromises with Russia.

Despite relentless pro-war propaganda, a majority of Americans are not on board with their government’s strategy of pouring endless weapons into Ukraine’s war with its nuclear-armed neighbor and hoping for the best. They are concerned about the costs of this war – more than 60 billion taxpayer dollars have already been spent, with much of that money filling the coffers of U.S. arms manufacturers.

Americans are also concerned about the growing risk of nuclear Armageddon. In 2019, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists kept the Doomsday Clock set to two minutes before midnight following the United States’s unilateral withdrawal from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty. Then on January 20, 2022, as tensions escalated between Russia and Ukraine, and also between the U.S. and China, the clock was reset to 100 seconds from midnight — on “doom’s doorstep.”

Full article:
    Will Our War-for-Profit System Lead to Nuclear Annihilation? | Scheerpost

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenyx For This Post:

anatta (11-14-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    What do you believe Russia would be willing to give up in a negotiated peace?
    Perhaps the city of Kherson, which it recently evacuated. You may say that it's already given that up, but I'd say that it hasn't, in the sense that Russia's still claiming that Kherson is part of Russia.

Now, I can certainly concede that it may be willing to give up more, I'm just saying that I currently don't see that happening.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,520 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Will Our War-for-Profit System Lead to Nuclear Annihilation?
    It's one of the contributing factors, yes.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Post:

Phoenyx (11-14-2022)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenyx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post
    When is RT going to tell its trusting public that:

[snip]
    (b) it's losing?
    I'd say that every party involved in a war loses a lot, other than the ones supplying the weapons.
    Well that goes without saying.
    I think it's worth reminding people of this, especially considering the fervour with which the west encourages the continuation of the war in Ukraine.

By any definition Russia is losing this war at the moment, there’s no denying that.
    I'd certainly agree that Russia is losing weapons and personnel, but so is Ukraine. As to losing the war, I think you're confusing tactical retreats with losing the war. I don't see Russia leaving most if not all of the territory that it has annexed, especially considering the fact that it only annexed these territories after holding referendums in them and the Ukrainians there all apparently strongly voted in favour of joining Russia. I think that around the only thing that could make them leave would be a nuclear exchange between them and NATO on the land, making it uninhabitable for everyone.

Initial objective of ridding Zelenskyy and installing a puppet government failed badly.
    I've seen no hard evidence suggesting that removing Zelensky was ever a Russian objective. That doesn't mean it's not, I'm just saying I've seen no hard evidence that this is the case.

They’ve lost control of large swathes of the Donbas. They’ve lost Kherson City.
    For now. Let's not forgot that most if not all of the territory they've lost was previously gained. I see no reason why it can't be regained.

The Russians have now instilled into the Ukrainians a deep hatred of them for generations to come, similar to how the Poles feel toward Russia , and I suspect Lithuanians, Latvia , Estonia, et al considering they gladly joined NATO to protect themselves from Russian imperialism.
    I strongly suspect that you are fairly unaware of the 8 year Ukrainian civil war that preceded Russia's military operation in Ukraine. I made a thread that gets into this and how it led to the current war that you might want to take a look at. It's here if you're interested:

Former Swiss Intelligence Officer blows the whistle on West's Ukraine War Narrative | justplainpolitics.com

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    It's one of the contributing factors, yes.
    Do you mean that the war for profit system may be one of the contributing factors to nuclear annihilation?

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenyx View Post
    Do you mean that the war for profit system may be one of the contributing factors to nuclear annihilation?
    That's right. Another factor is America's contempt for the United Nations and international law.

Maria Ressa.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Post:

Phoenyx (11-14-2022)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,115 Times in 12,640 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,445 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's right. Another factor is America's contempt for the United Nations and international law.
    Well Ya But: The UN is now much more under the control of China and their friends than it is the West or their charter.

We should have contempt for it.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Well Ya But: The UN is now much more under the control of China and their friends than it is the West or their charter.

We should have contempt for it.
    It figures that the US would have contempt for international democracy. Ubermeisters do not like equality.

Maria Ressa.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It figures that the US would have contempt for international democracy. Ubermeisters do not like equality.
    The Chinese mean to crush us and they control the UN now.

1 + 1
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

1 + 1
    Good. Time for change. The US has made a clusterfuck of being #1. Being #2 will create a healthier America.

Maria Ressa.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Good. Time for change.
    Americans almost down to the last one have no idea what is coming.....A woman ready for mounting as the Afghans say.

DARK AGES SUCK!

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

1 + 1
    I haven't seen evidence for either of your assertions. Despite the U.S.'s frequent contempt for the U.N., it remains a U.S. based organization and its largest funder by far as well, contributing around 22% of the U.N.'s budget for the period between 2019 and 2021, according to Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations#Funding

China comes in a distant second in funding, at around 12%.

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Despite relentless pro-war propaganda, a majority of Americans are not on board with their government’s strategy of pouring endless weapons into Ukraine’s war with its nuclear-armed neighbor and hoping for the best. They are concerned about the costs of this war – more than 60 billion taxpayer dollars have already been spent, with much of that money filling the coffers of U.S. arms manufacturers.
    how in the hell is this war our concern ? why no conditions on peace talks?

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,424 Times in 10,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    how in the hell is this war our concern ? why no conditions on peace talks?
    Why should Ukraine engage with Russia at all since Russia is now in full retreat?

Russia has no leverage anymore.

They have lost tens of thousands of their own troops.

They are broke.

The people inside Russia are resisting.

But you continue to spread Russia's lies and advocate for Russia on JPP, like when you lied about getting an unsolicited mail in ballot because you were trying to interfere in the 2020 election.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,762 Times in 4,511 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

WASHINGTON, Oct 5 (Reuters) - Nearly three-quarters of Americans say that the United States should continue to support Ukraine, despite Russian threats that it could use nuclear weapons to protect its territory, according to a Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll released on Wednesday.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/three-four-americans-say-us-should-support-ukraine-despite-russian-threats-2022-10-05/