Thread: Let's Talk about Physical Health

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,893 Times in 6,585 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 537 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Let's Talk about Physical Health

Okay. I'm not a puritan. I'll eat fried foods once in a while. Last week I ate an entire quart of ice scream in one sitting - peanut butter and chocolate! It's a total "mouthgasm".

But I don't eat it every day or even every week.

The things that have "saved my life":

Carbs

Cut out as many carbs as you can. I don't eat bread, as a rule, but again, if I'm at a restaurant, and the bread is there, and there remain some yummy morsels on my plate that need eatin' too small to grab with a fork - well - we need to make an exception there. Other things to eat sparingly: Pasta, rice, potatoes, pretty much everything that matters!

Sugar

My downfall. Already talked about the ice cream, just eat it sparingly. Deserts, cake, etc. If you're out with folks and they're all eating it, it won't hurt once in a while. Just try not to keep a full cheesecake in your fridge!

Exercise

Don't run away! You don't need to work out for hours a day. Start out with a 10 min walk a day (if you have a dog, you're already doing it). And just increase the distance as gradually as you'd like. 10 mins a day for a month, 15 the next, etc. It will become habit and you'll love yourself for it. I admit I was a gym rat before I moved, and it's been months. I just worked out at my new gym yesterday and am looking forward to going back tonight.

Good morning and good health, everyone!
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

christiefan915 (11-06-2022), Guno צְבִי (11-05-2022), Life is Golden (11-05-2022), Mott the Hoople (11-17-2022), Stone (11-05-2022), ThatOwlWoman (11-04-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,454 Times in 9,909 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 867 Times in 825 Posts

Drink LOTS of water every day. 72 ounces. My wife and I walk a lot with the dogs. Nothing huge,....maybe a mile and a half a day or so. In the summer we swim in our lake all the time. Swimming is a fantastic workout. Big thing.........THINK young. You are only as old as you think you are. Dont give up doing things you love just because you are older. Just do them safer and in more moderation. Im somewhat happy for Owl believe it or not. She has a climate similar to mine in summer, a little colder and wetter but still VERY nice. The Geography of the U P is also outstanding. This summer I noticed her posting was way down. She was probably outside enjoying the nature and the nice U P summer season. If so....GOOD FOR HER!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stone For This Post:

christiefan915 (11-06-2022), LurchAddams (11-05-2022)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Sugar is poison in that it can get someone in the vicious cycle of constant hunger from the blood sugar highs and lows.

I have been on the keto-wagon for some time. That coupled with intermittent fasting helps tremendously.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

LurchAddams (11-05-2022)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Drink LOTS of water every day. 72 ounces. My wife and I walk a lot with the dogs. Nothing huge,....maybe a mile and a half a day or so. In the summer we swim in our lake all the time. Swimming is a fantastic workout. Big thing.........THINK young. You are only as old as you think you are. Dont give up doing things you love just because you are older. Just do them safer and in more moderation. Im somewhat happy for Owl believe it or not. She has a climate similar to mine in summer, a little colder and wetter but still VERY nice. The Geography of the U P is also outstanding. This summer I noticed her posting was way down. She was probably outside enjoying the nature and the nice U P summer season. If so....GOOD FOR HER!
    Yay, man. I drink lots of other stuff, but I do make sure I pound water all day. I'm addicted to these zero sugar energy drinks. I limit myself to 3 a day as long as I down them before 3pm, but I alternate with glasses of water in-between.

Good point! Hydrate, people - while we still have water!

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Stone (11-05-2022)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Golden View Post
    Sugar is poison in that it can get someone in the vicious cycle of constant hunger from the blood sugar highs and lows.

I have been on the keto-wagon for some time. That coupled with intermittent fasting helps tremendously.
    My brother tried to get me into that Keto stuff. It's just that at the same time I was doing my stuff and seeing results. And his "stuff" didn't and still doesn't work for him. My guess is, he's "cheating".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Life is Golden (11-06-2022)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,959 Times in 6,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 483 Times in 453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    My brother tried to get me into that Keto stuff. It's just that at the same time I was doing my stuff and seeing results. And his "stuff" didn't and still doesn't work for him. My guess is, he's "cheating".
    It definitely works, if you stick to it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Golden For This Post:

LurchAddams (11-06-2022)

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Almost everything we have been told by the so-called experts over the last 40 years has been wrong. Very often they straight up lied to us, they made claims that they never had evidence for.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,175 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Almost everything we have been told by the so-called experts over the last 40 years has been wrong. Very often they straight up lied to us, they made claims that they never had evidence for.
    They discovered that Saliva causes throat cancer now- Yes, but only if swallowed in small dosages over a period of a lifetime!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

LurchAddams (11-06-2022)

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    They discovered that Saliva causes throat cancer now- Yes, but only if swallowed in small dosages over a period of a lifetime!
    The pushing of carbs, and the demonizing of fat, starting in the 70's was the inverse of good advice. Even now reduced fat dairy is pushed even though the scientific evidence that this is a bad idea has been clear for 20 years.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Life is Golden (11-05-2022)

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This sounds like another fad that sounds good, but is not. I need to see some studies lasting something like a decade showing that those who drink a lot of water have better health outcomes, but I have never seen one.

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Corn syrup....mid to late 70's. Thats when this health mess all started. Everyone got fatter and fatter after they started using that poison. Sugar is quite bad for you...corn syrup is atrocious.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stone For This Post:

Althea (11-06-2022), Guno צְבִי (11-05-2022), LurchAddams (11-06-2022)

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    Okay. I'm not a puritan. I'll eat fried foods once in a while. Last week I ate an entire quart of ice scream in one sitting - peanut butter and chocolate! It's a total "mouthgasm".
    No alcohol.
    Very little bread, potatoes, or pasta.
    Lots of fish and vegetables.
    Kasha, rice, or cous cous for carbs.
    Limited processed sugars.
    No soda.
    Limited dairy
    No fried food
    Lots of walking and hiking.
    Some strength training.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (11-06-2022), LurchAddams (11-06-2022)

23. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Sometimes when I want a drink to really quench my thirst on a hot day......Just some super cold water over tons of ice with a little lime juice mixed in. REALLY hits the spot and much better for you.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stone For This Post:

christiefan915 (11-06-2022), LurchAddams (11-06-2022)

25. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Corn syrup....mid to late 70's. Thats when this health mess all started. Everyone got fatter and fatter after they started using that poison. Sugar is quite bad for you...corn syrup is atrocious.
    The evidence that it is worse than reg sugar is thin. The big problem is that our diets are too heavy in carbs, because people have listened to the so-called experts.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Stone (11-05-2022)

27. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    No alcohol.
    Well,.....Im out of THAT one! When I do drink it is mostly a good quality Gin mixed with club soda and a spritz of lime. Seems to me it is one of the healthier versions if booze of one even exists.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Stone For This Post:

LurchAddams (11-06-2022)