Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reversing Pascal: scepticism about religious belief and its value

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Default Reversing Pascal: scepticism about religious belief and its value

"Religion seems to greatly increase the risks of deception, duplicity, and hypocrisy, as well as self-deception and inauthenticity. Religious people end up being much worse than otherwise similar, seriously morally offending, secular people. If there is a God who deeply cares about individual moral behaviour, he would punish religious moral transgressors more than the secular ones. And so, pace Pascal, it seems better to wager on the secular life."

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...D896E08DD59CDD

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,317 Times in 9,825 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    "Religion seems to greatly increase the risks of deception, duplicity, and hypocrisy, as well as self-deception and inauthenticity. Religious people end up being much worse than otherwise similar, seriously morally offending, secular people. If there is a God who deeply cares about individual moral behaviour, he would punish religious moral transgressors more than the secular ones. And so, pace Pascal, it seems better to wager on the secular life."

you're an imbecilic cretin.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

i've only seen atheism generate "anti-morality" in practice.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

it seems better to wager on the secular life."

but you've already lost......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 42 Times in 40 Posts

Who'd of guessed someone would point out my interpretation of Christian Nation SCOTUS "one nation under God" with equal justice under law" that physics can't deal with a more vengeful God with a Klues Klucks duh Klans sense of humor against suicidal super egos homicidal human farming of ChristHitlers sending Hurricane Ian to SCOTUS Fourth Reich July 9/11 Federal Lynching KKK churchstate of hate fiefdom as almost an anagram of izan that they will no doubt try to be greater than....

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,045 Times in 7,482 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,047 Posts

Lots of little blue boxes. I don't know what the hell they are, but I think it has something to do with people using phones instead of computers, a practice which I find to be ridiculous.
    I understand that I'm in the minority, but my position hasn't changed and probably won't.

I use my landline for any serious calls.

I use my mobile to call AAA in case of a flat tire or to order takeout on my way home.
    Why the hell would I use it for anything else?

And for the internet, I use a fucking computer, not a tiny handheld device. I just fucking don't get it.
    This world has gone mad. An asteroid hit would seem to be a blessing right now.

And while I'm on the subject, they should bring public phone booths back as well.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Lots of little blue boxes. I don't know what the hell they are, but I think it has something to do with people using phones instead of computers, a practice which I find to be ridiculous.
    I understand that I'm in the minority, but my position hasn't changed and probably won't.

I use my mobile to call AAA in case of a flat tire or to order takeout on my way home.

And for the internet, I use a fucking computer, not a tiny handheld device. I just fucking don't get it.

And while I'm on the subject, they should bring public phone booths back as well.
    https://www.forbes.com › sites › bernardmarr › 2019 › 12 › 06 › what-is-the-internet-of-bodies-and-how-is-it-changing-our-world
    What Is The Internet Of Bodies? And How Is It Changing Our World? - Forbes
    Dec 6, 2019The Internet of Bodies (IoB) is an extension of the IoT and basically connects the human body to a network through devices that are ingested, implanted, or connected to the body in some way....
    https://www.weforum.org › agenda › 2020 › 06 › internet-of-bodies-covid19-recovery-governance-health-data
    The Internet of Bodies is here. This is how it will change our lives ...
    Connecting our bodies As futuristic as the Internet of Bodies may seem, many people are already connected to it through wearable devices. The smartwatch segment alone has grown into a $13 billion market by 2018, and is projected to increase another 32% to $18 billion by 2021.
    https://www.rand.org › multimedia › video › 2020 › 10 › 29 › what-is-the-internet-of-bodies.html
    What Is the Internet of Bodies? | RAND - RAND Corporation
    Oct 29, 2020The Internet of Bodies: Opportunities, Risks, and Governance Within the broader Internet of Things (IoT) lies a subset of devices that monitor the human body and transmit the collected data. What are the benefits, security and privacy risks, and ethical implications of the growing Internet of Bodies (IoB)? Oct 29, 2020
    https://itrexgroup.com › blog › internet-of-bodies-iob-definition-benefits-examples
    What is the Internet of Bodies (IoB), and why should you care?
    Sep 8, 2022The Internet of Bodies (IoB) term was coined in 2016. It describes connected devices that monitor the human body, collect physiological, biometric, or behavioral data, and exchange information over a wireless or hybrid network.
    https://www.rand.org › about › nextgen › art-plus-data › giorgia-lupi › internet-of-bodies-our-connected-future.html
    Internet of Bodies: Our Connected Future | RAND
    The Internet of Bodies Will Change Everything, for Better or Worse The rise of devices that connect the human body to the web is accelerating rapidly. This Internet of Bodies could revolutionize health care and improve our quality of life.
    https://www.analyticssteps.com › blogs › internet-bodies-everything-you-need-know
    Internet of Bodies - Everything You Need to Know | Analytics Steps
    What is the Internet of Bodies? The concept of Internet of Bodies uses human bodies as a source of data, making it a part of an Internet of Things ecosystem. (You can learn everything about the Internet of Things here) Internet of Bodies or IoB refers to a network of devices that can collect data about and alter the functions of the human body.
    https://truthunmuted.org › the-internet-of-bodies
    The Internet of Bodies (IoB) and Hacking Your DNA
    Nov 22, 2020What is the Internet of Bodies (IoB)? RAND defines the IoB as "a growing industry of devices that monitor the human body, collect health and other personal information, and transmit that data over the Internet." In order to qualify as an IoB device, the technology must: contain software or computing capabilities
    https://www.rand.org › blog › articles › 2020 › 10 › the-internet-of-bodies-will-change-everything-for-better-or-worse.html
    The Internet of Bodies Will Change Everything, for Better or Worse
    Oct 29, 2020The Internet of Bodies: Opportunities, Risks, and Governance Torrents of data on everything from diets to social interactions could help improve preventative health care, increase employee productivity, and encourage people to become active participants in their health. Artificial pancreases could automate insulin dosing for diabetics.
    https://dynagrace.com › internet-of-bodies
    Internet of Bodies: Definition, Examples, and Future
    Jun 10, 2021Basically, the IoB is an addition to IoT and connects your body to a network with the help of devices. You can implant, ingest, or connect such devices to your body in some way. When such a device connects to your body, it helps to exchange the data. Further, you can also monitor and control both the device as well as the body with it.
    https://www.rand.org › pubs › research_reports › RR3226.html
    The Internet of Bodies: Opportunities, Risks, and Governance
    Oct 29, 2020This development, which some have called the Internet of Bodies (IoB), includes an expanding array of devices that combine software, hardware, and communication capabilities to track personal health data, provide vital medical treatment, or enhance bodily comfort, function, health, or well-being.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 42 Times in 40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post

Seems space is the place for the human race, fried & freeze dried all over the universe according to their more perfect 9/11 union of Islamidiotocracy Mohammed pedophilia with Christiananality pedophilia since it wouldn't matter how many public phone booths were brought back since Superman nor Dr Who would ever come out of one....

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 32 Times in 29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    That makes no sense. You can't be "anti-morality." You can either be morally good or morally bad, but morality itself is simply the concept of having a moral code.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by America View Post
    That makes no sense. You can't be "anti-morality." You can either be morally good or morally bad, but morality itself is simply the concept of having a moral code.
    of course you can be anti-morality.

how stupid are you?

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 32 Times in 29 Posts

of course you can be anti-morality.

how stupid are you?
    Maybe you didn't read my entire post. Everyone has a code of conduct. You can't be "anti" code of conduct.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,240 Times in 7,656 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

A moral code based on religious mythology is horse shit. We all know what is right without any supposed gods telling us. Either we do what is right...or we don't.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    A moral code based on religious mythology is horse shit. We all know what is right without any supposed gods telling us. Either we do what is right...or we don't.
    it's based on the moral teaching of a character from mythology.

do unto other as you would have them do unto you is a fine moral code

of course, totalitarians hate moral codes of any kind.

they want to do whatever they want, and sit in judgement of everyone else.

totalitarians hate god because they want to be him, but without the loving everyone part.
    Last edited by Blackwater Lunchbreak; 10-31-2022 at 04:55 AM.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by America View Post
    Maybe you didn't read my entire post. Everyone has a code of conduct. You can't be "anti" code of conduct.
    of course you can.

"do as thou wilt" the luciferian doctrine.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    is starving and freezing millions of people with energy and food shortages based on climate lies moral?

is constant escalation to WWIII moral?

looks like you're in "camp do what is wrong".

get out your hippy guitar and sing an immoral camp song, freak.