Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone Watching the MLB Playoffs?

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,043 Times in 6,686 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 543 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Since my Cards are out I’m rooting for the Astros and Phillies.
    Astros have a really good shot. The betting houses are saying it's going to be the Astros v. Dodgers now.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,079 Times in 7,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

There's no need for MLB playoffs anymore.

When the National and American Leagues actually existed, which they haven't for more than two decades,
    the World Series was a battle of champions.

Both teams had already won their respective league championships, until 1969 in the regular season with no playoffs, and the World Series was a step beyond.

That's no longer the case. The American and National Leagues were disbanded circa 2000,
    and now both terms are just brand names of MLB, the one and only major baseball league.
    The World Series, once very special, is now merely the final round of the MLB playoffs.

MLB teams play 162 regular season games.
    What is the justification for playing 162 games only for the purpose of seeding a twelve-team post-season tournament?
    After 162 games, we know who the best team is--the one with the best record!

Awarding the league championship not to the team that played the best all year but rather to a team that got hot after the season was already over makes no sense at all.

Professional sports in America today have gotten super tacky, and baseball in the Bud Selig-Rob Manfred era has trashed its dignity and tradition.
    Every decision made where maximizing revenues is the preeminent factor is a decision made where the game itself IS NOT the preeminent factor.

I'm grateful that I got to watch REAL major league baseball in the 1950s and 1960s, because what they play now isn't it.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-24-2022)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    There's no need for MLB playoffs anymore.

When the National and American Leagues actually existed, which they haven't for more than two decades,
    the World Series was a battle of champions.

Both teams had already won their respective league championships, until 1969 in the regular season with no playoffs, and the World Series was a step beyond.

That's no longer the case. The American and National Leagues were disbanded circa 2000,
    and now both terms are just brand names of MLB, the one and only major baseball league.
    The World Series, once very special, is now merely the final round of the MLB playoffs.

MLB teams play 162 regular season games.
    What is the justification for playing 162 games only for the purpose of seeding a twelve-team post-season tournament?
    After 162 games, we know who the best team is--the one with the best record!

Awarding the league championship not to the team that played the best all year but rather to a team that got hot after the season was already over makes no sense at all.

Professional sports in America today have gotten super tacky, and baseball in the Bud Selig-Rob Manfred era has trashed its dignity and tradition.
    Every decision made where maximizing revenues is the preeminent factor is a decision made where the game itself IS NOT the preeminent factor.

I'm grateful that I got to watch REAL major league baseball in the 1950s and 1960s, because what they play now isn't it.
    Anyway... great game between the M's and Astros yesterday, even though it was 0/0 until the 17th.. for a low-scoring game, it was pretty exciting.

People get out of pro sports what they want. Perhaps professional sports will get less racist and we'll see more black/Latino managers and coaches - minorities make up most of the player population, so it's pretty fucked the way they are right now, I agree.

Other than that, I have fun watching most sports.

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,037 Times in 14,531 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    They've been around since, '77.. they're older than both my kids.
    Infants compared to many other teams.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

LurchAddams (10-16-2022)

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Infants compared to many other teams.
    Hey, what's goin' on with your Yankees? Got shut out last night and have lost the last 2? They should have been nicer to my M's!

Good morning

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hey, what's goin' on with your Yankees? Got shut out last night and have lost the last 2? They should have been nicer to my M's!

Good morning
    Reminds me of the year they were up 3-0 against Boston, and melted down.

Same thing happened. They were all swinging for the fences instead of putting the ball in play.

It happens every fall. The ball doesn't carry as well in the cold weather. A lot of warning track outs for the Yanks.

Just put the damned ball in play. Pitching always dominates hitting in the post season for some reason.

Unless you are pitching to Reggie Jackson
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Reminds me of the year they were up 3-0 against Boston, and melted down.

Same thing happened. They were all swinging for the fences instead of putting the ball in play.

It happens every fall. The ball doesn't carry as well in the cold weather. A lot of warning track outs for the Yanks.

Just put the damned ball in play. Pitching always dominates hitting in the post season for some reason.

Unless you are pitching to Reggie Jackson
    Ohhhh.. Althea! I thought the Yanks were gonna hang on and win.. they pulled out ahead 3-0 in the third!

Don't feel bad. All the betting houses were saying the Astros were gonna take it. I thought it could have been a storybook ending though.. who was the last Yankee up? Aarron Judge! He could have been the hero!

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Ohhhh.. Althea! I thought the Yanks were gonna hang on and win.. they pulled out ahead 3-0 in the third!

Don't feel bad. All the betting houses were saying the Astros were gonna take it. I thought it could have been a storybook ending though.. who was the last Yankee up? Aarron Judge! He could have been the hero!
    Houston has the best pitching staff in the bigs. Hard to beat that in post season. I didn't follow baseball during the year, but the Yanks' fielding throughout the post season looked like Little League.

Including the error that cost them the game last night.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Althea For This Post:

LurchAddams (10-24-2022)

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Houston has the best pitching staff in the bigs. Hard to beat that in post season. I didn't follow baseball during the year, but the Yanks' fielding throughout the post season looked like Little League.

Including the error that cost them the game last night.
    Oh, I don't watch regular season MLB either. It's more fun to watch paint dry. I only paid attention to the playoffs this year 'cause my Mariners were in it.

Pro Basketball either.. No Seattle team, why bother (right now I'm wearing a Spurs t-shirt, yes I'm a hypocrite

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

World Series night. My wife is complaining there’s no Joe Buck. I’m ok with Smoltz. Other than that … game on.

14. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

I understand Americans need to be pulling for Houston.

The two WS won by Philly were in a. The Great Depression and b. the Recession in 1980.

"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

15. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    I understand Americans need to be pulling for Houston.

The two WS won by Philly were in a. The Great Depression and b. the Recession in 1980.

[IMG]https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.OVKcfN3dCJaaeJnxhMXJ-AHaEK&pid=Api&P=0[/MG]
    Anyway, the series is locked up at 1-1. Both games have been pretty good for baseball games. Next game, tomorrow night!