Thread: I'm Driving Cross-country Right Now

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,051 Times in 6,694 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 543 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    Lurch has to turn east or cross into Mexico. Carlsbad Caverns is worth seeing.
    My destination today is El Paso, TX. Hotels are much cheaper there, I'm going to stay there for 2 days, take a day and see what trouble I can cause across the border tomorrow across the border in Juarez.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-02-2022)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Do you need a passport to get into Mexico or do you have one of those enhanced drivers licenses since you live in a border state?
    I believe you can get into MX with either.. but I do have my passport. I need to stock up on one of my meds I'm running low on - not going to be back home for awhile.

The weather is really hot for this time of year, but El Paso/Juarez, MX must be at a higher altitude. It's about 15 degrees cooler there than here in Phoenix!

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-01-2022), ThatOwlWoman (10-01-2022)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,553 Times in 53,373 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    I believe you can get into MX with either.. but I do have my passport. I need to stock up on one of my meds I'm running low on - not going to be back home for awhile.

The weather is really hot for this time of year, but El Paso/Juarez, MX must be at a higher altitude. It's about 15 degrees cooler there than here in Phoenix!
    How weird. You would have expected it to be hotter there. How long are you staying in MX?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-01-2022), LurchAddams (10-01-2022)

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

How weird. You would have expected it to be hotter there. How long are you staying in MX?
    Oh, I'm not staying in MX. What you do is you park on the US side in El Paso and walk in for the day. I don't want to be in Juarez after dark. So I've booked my hotel tonight in El Paso for 2 days, I'll head into Juarez around noon, get my meds, look at the sights, drink the beer, take in the sun and head get ready for the next leg of my trip Mon morn!

Having dinner right now at Twin Peaks in East El Paso. The view is pretty good here as well

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-02-2022), ThatOwlWoman (10-02-2022)

9. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Oh, I'm not staying in MX. What you do is you park on the US side in El Paso and walk in for the day. I don't want to be in Juarez after dark. So I've booked my hotel tonight in El Paso for 2 days, I'll head into Juarez around noon, get my meds, look at the sights, drink the beer, take in the sun and head get ready for the next leg of my trip Mon morn!

Having dinner right now at Twin Peaks in East El Paso. The view is pretty good here as well
    Be careful. In Twin Peaks the owls are not what they seem.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

LurchAddams (10-02-2022)

11. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Be careful. In Twin Peaks the owls are not what they seem.
    Football Sunday in El Paso. The Saints and Viks are on now. I have YouTube TV so I could watch the damn thing on my phone while driving if I wanted to - but I'll watch a few minutes of it here, go the WalMart SuperCenter closeby, get a couple of things.

My plan today after that is to find a coin laundry, take care of that and then head into Juarez about noon. It's Sunday, so I imagine there will be a bunch of old guys like me - as well as gals heading into Juarez for discounted meds and dental care.

My drive yesterday took me through more high desert, from Phoenix, through Tuscon, to the south tip of New Mexico and then into Texas. I crossed the TX border around 7 last night. It's going to be a shock not driving all day again after 3 days of doing it - but I'll adjust after my first Cerveza en Mexico

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

13. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Football Sunday in El Paso. The Saints and Viks are on now. I have YouTube TV so I could watch the damn thing on my phone while driving if I wanted to - but I'll watch a few minutes of it here, go the WalMart SuperCenter closeby, get a couple of things.

My plan today after that is to find a coin laundry, take care of that and then head into Juarez about noon. It's Sunday, so I imagine there will be a bunch of old guys like me - as well as gals heading into Juarez for discounted meds and dental care.

My drive yesterday took me through more high desert, from Phoenix, through Tuscon, to the south tip of New Mexico and then into Texas. I crossed the TX border around 7 last night. It's going to be a shock not driving all day again after 3 days of doing it - but I'll adjust after my first Cerveza en Mexico
    Where will you be going next?

It must be so weird, the difference in terrain, climate, flora/fauna from Washington to Texas.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-02-2022), LurchAddams (10-02-2022)

15. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Where will you be going next?

It must be so weird, the difference in terrain, climate, flora/fauna from Washington to Texas.
    I usually wait in this thread to give up where I'm going next until right before I depart, but since you've been so nice, I'm going to tell you. Monday morning I will be departing for Austin. I plan to partake in BBQ and blues music for at least a day or so before again departing for... ?

By the way, the property I'm staying at is a disaster!!! My bedside lamp is taped together with electrical tape, my smoke detector is missing, there are holes in the carpet - but it has a mini fridge for my Monsters and mixers, running water and it's only 50/night, and they don't give a shit if I smoke weed in here, so it works. If I was traveling with a wife or girlfriend, no way could I stay here - the benefits of a bachelor traveling alone - we can stay in dives and be perfectly happy.

Also, I just paid 2.97/gal for gas! I love Texas

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

17. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I usually wait in this thread to give up where I'm going next until right before I depart, but since you've been so nice, I'm going to tell you. Monday morning I will be departing for Austin. I plan to partake in BBQ and blues music for at least a day or so before again departing for... ?

By the way, the property I'm staying at is a disaster!!! My bedside lamp is taped together with electrical tape, my smoke detector is missing, there are holes in the carpet - but it has a mini fridge for my Monsters and mixers, running water and it's only 50/night, and they don't give a shit if I smoke weed in here, so it works. If I was traveling with a wife or girlfriend, no way could I stay here - the benefits of a bachelor traveling alone - we can stay in dives and be perfectly happy.

Also, I just paid 2.97/gal for gas! I love Texas
    Gross, hope you don't catch a disease there. lol

Our closest neighbors' son and daughter-in-law have an art/pottery boutique in Austin. They love it there!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-02-2022)

19. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Gross, hope you don't catch a disease there. lol

Our closest neighbors' son and daughter-in-law have an art/pottery boutique in Austin. They love it there!
    I love to see them come right out of the kiln because I'm really into a-smokin' pot

LOL... lame but I still cracked myself up

Change of plan - it was raining slightly in EP today so I decided to take a short nap after I came back from the laundry. And that nap turned into me passing out for about 6 hours - obviously I needed the rest. My plan now is to find a Cantina and watch the rest of the KC/Bucs.

I'll hit Mexico on the way out tomorrow.

I'm having such a great time!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-02-2022), ThatOwlWoman (10-03-2022)

21. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Holy s! Texas is huge. I drove from El Paso to San Antonio today. 600 miles! The Rio Grande Valley goes on forever... I had to stop and take a photo!

I never did make it to Juarez - it was raining again this morning and I'm not excited about trotting around Mexico in the rain. There will be other border crossings on my journey!

I'm at a Buffalo Wild Wings right now watching the Rams/49ers and having some wings.

I'm going to stay in San Antonio for awhile - see what trouble I can get into here before heading up to Austin.

Hope all is well and all had a great Monday!!!! I sure did

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-03-2022)

23. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ok. I just paid 2.97/gal for gas at an H-E-B (Texas grocery store chain). Rent is cheap here, hotels are even cheap, I'm paying 50/night and staying at a really nice hotel - I guess in the fall, hotel occupancy here really drops off and they have to lower their rates!

But rent - gas - the only thing missing is weed. It's 14 hours from Austin to the nearest recreational weed in either Colorado or Arizona. There are medical dispensaries in TX but you need a medical card. I'm going to see how hard it is to get one and how expensive, and if the price is right.. I might stay here!

I'll keep y'all posted!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (10-04-2022)

25. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,261 Times in 33,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,089 Times in 4,704 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ok. I just paid 2.97/gal for gas at an H-E-B (Texas grocery store chain). Rent is cheap here, hotels are even cheap, I'm paying 50/night and staying at a really nice hotel - I guess in the fall, hotel occupancy here really drops off and they have to lower their rates!

But rent - gas - the only thing missing is weed. It's 14 hours from Austin to the nearest recreational weed in either Colorado or Arizona. There are medical dispensaries in TX but you need a medical card. I'm going to see how hard it is to get one and how expensive, and if the price is right.. I might stay here!

I'll keep y'all posted!
    Where are you at right now?

26. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Where are you at right now?
    At this moment? Downtown San Antonio, TX.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Phantasmal (10-04-2022)

28. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,261 Times in 33,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,089 Times in 4,704 Posts
    Blog Entries

At this moment? Downtown San Antonio, TX.
    Which way are you headed?