Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: California bans building parking lots near transit stops

1. #121 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Why is higher urban density necessarily desirable?
    If you live in an area where there's a need for housing and land is not readily available then density is the answer.

2. #122 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,927 Times in 13,194 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    If you live in an area where there's a need for housing and land is not readily available then density is the answer.
    That is virtually nowhere in the US.

3. #123 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

There are cities around the world that are much more dense than California cities, and I am pretty sure none of them ever outlawed parking lots.

We are being lied to yet again, the program here is to get rid of private car ownership, because it gives people the feeling of freedom and then they want more of that.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

4. #124 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,969 Times in 14,556 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 949 Times in 933 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Maybe we're having two different conversations. I'm not questioning that homes cost more in California (and you are correct in that all the price inputs make building more expensive in California than elsewhere - but that's a state level thing, not national) but property taxes are lower in California than Texas due to Prop 13.

But all that still avoids the issue that NIMBYism dominates in California and when you don't allow supply to keep up with demand you have the imbalance that California does.

OK have you found your calculator yet?

If I told you I would raise your property tax by 1.2% and reduce the taxable value of your home by half but charge you 0% state income tax would you take it?
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

5. #125 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    There are cities around the world that are much more dense than California cities, and I am pretty sure none of them ever outlawed parking lots.

We are being lied to yet again, the program here is to get rid of private car ownership, because it gives people the feeling of freedom and then they want more of that.
    There are whole nations where the density of cities is greater than in the US. There is no particular reason we need to increase urban density here. The Left wants it to increase because many--most--Leftists think that is how everyone should live because that's how they live. It's just one more dictatorial, totalitarian push by the Left to control people's lives.

Now, in Japan, a very densely populated nation, to buy a car you have to demonstrate to the government you have a place to park it. That's their rule. They don't control parking, but rather buying a vehicle without having a place to park it.

In Phoenix, I can recall several developers that had serious fails because they built high rise condos or apartments in high density urban settings, like the artificial City North project, only to find nobody wanted to buy their fucking development because of the lack of parking--among other things.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

ExpressLane (09-25-2022)

7. #126 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I have not read into this but given how California works I feel pretty certain that exemptions will routinely be given to projects the Regime approves of.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

8. #127 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There are whole nations where the density of cities is greater than in the US. There is no particular reason we need to increase urban density here. The Left wants it to increase because many--most--Leftists think that is how everyone should live because that's how they live. It's just one more dictatorial, totalitarian push by the Left to control people's lives.
    Given that density is not what this is about, that is the lie used to cover for what they are really doing, debating density is irrelevant here.

9. #128 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Given that density is not what this is about, that is the lie used to cover for what they are really doing, debating density is irrelevant here.
    But density is what they are trying, at least in part, to achieve. The authoritarian Left wants you and me to live in dense urban high-rise apartments and condos because they think that is what you want and should do. I recently got an e-mail survey from the University of Arizona (where I did my undergraduate studies) about whether I'd be interested in getting a luxury apartment in a high-rise in downtown Tucson that the university was backing.
    I wasn't kind in my answers.

10. #129 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This came down the grapevine yesterday and is interesting......the plan from the energy transition stewards is to not allow people to plug in their electric cars at night, because there is no solar and the wind drops and they are now finally figuring out that the possibility of .building enough batteries with current tech are zero.

As if that could possibly work.....these people are FantasyLand Creatures.....and they are hurting us.

11. #130 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

But density is what they are trying, at least in part, to achieve. The authoritarian Left wants you and me to live in dense urban high-rise apartments and condos because they think that is what you want and should do. I recently got an e-mail survey from the University of Arizona (where I did my undergraduate studies) about whether I'd be interested in getting a luxury apartment in a high-rise in downtown Tucson that the university was backing.
    I wasn't kind in my answers.
    Ya in their dreams hundreds of millions from all around the world will want to come to the AMERICAN UTOPIA, and there must be someplace to put them.

12. #131 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I am a bit surprised that Tucker has not run with this yet. He has been talking for a long time about how this war on cars and particularly private ownership of cars is not about saving the planet as the communists claim, this is about ease of surveillance and control. And that this is about not allowing the serfs the taste of freedom, because that would cause too many problems for the Over Lords of UTOPIA.

13. #132 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

When you have no choice but to try to get a car service like Uber they can easily tell you no if they have a problem with you (Have you a low Social Credit score?), or if they dont want you to go where you want to go. Maybe they allow you to go but charge you up the ass trying to get you to reconsider. And remember too that the communists want to get rid of physical money, they want everyone on electric payments so that they can for instance see if we are eating too much meat.....people will not be able to do anything that reguires payment without Regime approval.

14. #133 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It is in coastal urban areas and that's who this legislation is geared at (well since this is a California law it's geared to the Bay Area and L.A.)

15. #134 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am so intrigued. Why the continual misrepresentation/flat our lying about this legislation. It does not outlaw parking lots. Why the need to lie about that?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

AProudLefty (09-26-2022)

17. #135 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    OK have you found your calculator yet?

If I told you I would raise your property tax by 1.2% and reduce the taxable value of your home by half but charge you 0% state income tax would you take it?
    Can you give me a scenario with actual numbers to demonstrate your example? Clearly you have something in mind, I'm just not able to follow it. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious but how do you reduce the taxable value of your home by half short of an exodus from an area and property values just absolutely tank.