Thread: California bans building parking lots near transit stops

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    We moved to California in 1981. At that time people complained the state was already overcrowded and they were passing anti-development/anti-growth measures. And look where we are 40 years later; most wealth in the country and highest poverty rate and housing prices that are off the charts. NIMBYism is like a religion here and many share your belief that the state should quit developing (it's one of the few things those on the right and left agree upon).

That's why the YIMBY movement was created. Population growth in this country isn't going to slow down so stopping development only puts upwards pressure on housing costs.

Imagine individual property owners concerned about their individual property values

It’s such a stupid issue for you to cling to

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,770 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    from the article:

so they CAN have parking if they want it just cant require it via zoning.

I guess the question becomes, does the property owner want low income or not. I'm guessing not.
    Well, that's NOT the same thing, then.

California needs low-income housing right now more than immediate growth on the upscale end.
    They can always change back if things change.

I can use my cars to leave town or go to the golf course, but I don't need them at all to get around town.
    American public transportation as a whole, however, is a national disgrace compared to modern countries.
    I suppose Joe Sixpack enjoys driving his dumpy looking pickup.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-24-2022), LurchAddams (09-25-2022)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

5. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-24-2022)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Blog Entries

Investing in California was an iffy proposition even before this, now it is flat out dumb.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

7. The Following User Groans At Hawkeye10 For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (09-25-2022)

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,787 Times in 32,153 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is actually good legislation. Everyone here complains there's too much traffic, congestion blah, blah, blah along with completely unaffordable housing. How do you deal with that? Build more housing near public transportation that allows those who want to to get around without a car. Previously the law required a minimum parking amount which was a huge cost burden and contributed to preventing development. If you're building out in the burbs away from public transit then yes you need to provide more parking. But if you're building right next to BART and other public transportation then you need less.

This will help provide more housing. It's a good thing.
    good point.....they need more room for homeless tent cities........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is a great place to point out that thinking things through is a required life skill that is largely lost now in America.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

10. The Following User Groans At Hawkeye10 For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (09-25-2022)

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    This is a great place to point out that thinking things through is a required life skill that is largely lost now in America.
    Ok, I'll bite. What was not thought through here?

12. The Following User Groans At cawacko For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (09-25-2022)

13. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,787 Times in 32,153 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

We moved to California in 1981. At that time people complained the state was already overcrowded and they were passing anti-development/anti-growth measures. And look where we are 40 years later; most wealth in the country and highest poverty rate and housing prices that are off the charts. NIMBYism is like a religion here and many share your belief that the state should quit developing (it's one of the few things those on the right and left agree upon).

That's why the YIMBY movement was created. Population growth in this country isn't going to slow down so stopping development only puts upwards pressure on housing costs.
    fair.....so long as they have enough water for everyone to drink they should be allowed to have as many people as they want......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

14. The Following User Groans At PostmodernProphet For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (09-25-2022)

15. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,770 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Population growth in this country isn't going to slow down...

And here lies, we must come to admit, a very major national character flaw. Perhaps a global, species-wide one.
    Everybody considers him/herself to be breeding material when so many are obviously not.
    The earth now has over seven billion people, which is more than double the number to whom it can provide a decent standard of living.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

16. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Investing in California was an iffy proposition even before this, now it is flat out dumb.
    You think that because you use the Austrian school of economics like all the right does now

It’s the one school of economics that tries to do economics without using math

They say economics is a sociology field

Why do they do that?

Because MATH proves them to be full of shit

California kicks all the other states ass economically

And most nations

17. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    And here lies, we must come to admit, a very major national character flaw. Perhaps a global, species-wide one.
    Everybody considers him/herself to be breeding material when so many are obviously not.
    The earth now has over seven billion people, which is more than double the number to whom it can provide a decent standard of living.
    That's kind of a separate discussion but maybe you (and others) can start a movement in the U.S., and worldwide, to get (progressive) men to tie their tubes and no longer reproduce? (Might not be good for Democrats long term but if we're talking about saving the planet...)

Or get the U.N. to pass global legislation of some sort piggybacking off the China one child rule globally?

18. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

and pols will never really say no to development as its the only way to increase the tax base.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

19. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    OMG. You are a complete idiot. They didn't ban parking. They banned mandated parking

There is nothing banning parking. They only said parking can not be a requirement imposed by local governments before approving construction.
    You are correct, they banned mandated parking. It doesn’t make sense to require a bunch of parking be built when you are building next to a BART station and on top of that it makes the development more expensive and less economically feasible (the mandated parking.). That’s not a good thing when you have a housing crisis and major shortage of housing supply.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

AProudLefty (09-24-2022)

21. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    and pols will never really say no to development as its the only way to increase the tax base.
    Pols say no to new residential development all the time here. In many places it’s damn near impossible to build. Hard to get elected in many places here being pro development.

22. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,970 Times in 14,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 949 Times in 933 Posts
    Blog Entries

People leave California for multiple reasons but a big one is the cost of housing (living). This legislation will allow for more development. That is a good thing. More development will help drive down costs.
    California wacky laws and high income tax are big reasons for their high cost of living. And their high cost of living cause the high cost of housing.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!