Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: California bans building parking lots near transit stops

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    California wacky laws and high income tax are big reasons for their high cost of living. And their high cost of living cause the high cost of housing.
    Actually, ironically, Prop 13 keeps property taxes far below what they should be for many home owners. Property taxes in California are less than in Texas. That plays a role in inflating property values.

The cost of housing is so high because we basically put a cap on supply and don't let it keep up with demand. Thus why this legislation is good, it will help allow for more development.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,184 Times in 14,718 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Actually, ironically, Prop 13 keeps property taxes far below what they should be for many home owners. Property taxes in California are less than in Texas. That plays a role in inflating property values.

The cost of housing is so high because we basically put a cap on supply and don't let it keep up with demand. Thus why this legislation is good, it will help allow for more development.
    The over all tax burden in California is in 9th place and in Texas is 32nd place. https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

The high price of housing also inflates the amount of property taxes that Californians pay. A Californian 3 bed 2 bath 2 car garage home in California is 60% higher than in Texas. So Californians are paying that extra property tax.

The cost of a home in Texas is drastically cheaper than owning a home in California. The average cost of a home in the U.S. is $231,000. A home costs 60% more in California compared to Texas. In Texas, the median home price is only $195,000, which is lower than the national average.
    https://homeia.com/city-living-guide...onal%20average.

In Texas we let the free market keep up with supply and demand.

If I told you I would raise your property tax by 1.2% and reduce the taxable value of your home by half but charge you 0% state income tax would you take it?
    Last edited by ExpressLane; 09-24-2022 at 03:46 PM.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The over all tax burden in California is in 9th place and in Texas is 32nd place. https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

The high price of housing also inflates the amount of property taxes that Californians pay. A Californian 3 bed 2 bath 2 car garage home in California is 60% higher than in Texas. So Californians are paying that extra property tax.

In Texas we let the free market keep up with supply and demand.

If I told you I would raise your property tax by 1.2% and reduce the taxable value of your home by half but charge you 0% state income tax would you take it?
    I'm not saying this with any disrespect but I don't think you understand how Prop 13 works. It puts a cap on how much your property tax can increase each year. Doesn't matter if your home appreciates 10% your property tax increase can only go up 2%. Now think about the appreciation someone who has owned their home for a couple of decades has gotten and then how little their property taxes have gone up correspondingly.

Texas has the among the highest property taxes in the country (because it makes up for not having a state income tax). And to my knowledge you have no cap like California does with Prop 13 (or it is set at a much higher rate).

They call Prop 13 the third rail of politics in California because even many liberals here don't want it overturned. But there is actually a free market argument to made for why it would be good to get rid of it (but that's a separate discussion).

But yes, having higher property taxes in California would likely help lower the cost of housing.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,904 Times in 21,666 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    If your business is within a half mile of a transit (eg., bus) stop, you will no longer be able to build parking spaces or a parking lot to accommodate your customers. If you are building apartments, you can't provide parking spaces for your tenants. If you are a car dealer... Well, you get the idea here. The state of California expects you to take the bus or other public transit everywhere like a good little peasant.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...29775aa0a4710b

So, I guess this means people won't need those mandated electric cars after all...
    Liar, but it’s to be expected as you are a Trumpper.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm not saying this with any disrespect but I don't think you understand how Prop 13 works. It puts a cap on how much your property tax can increase each year. Doesn't matter if your home appreciates 10% your property tax increase can only go up 2%. Now think about the appreciation someone who has owned their home for a couple of decades has gotten and then how little their property taxes have gone up correspondingly.

Texas has the among the highest property taxes in the country (because it makes up for not having a state income tax). And to my knowledge you have no cap like California does with Prop 13 (or it is set at a much higher rate).

They call Prop 13 the third rail of politics in California because even many liberals here don't want it overturned. But there is actually a free market argument to made for why it would be good to get rid of it (but that's a separate discussion).

But yes, having higher property taxes in California would likely help lower the cost of housing.
    My original statement that caused you to immediately jump to property taxes was

California wacky laws and high income tax are big reasons for their high cost of living. And their high cost of living causes the high cost of housing.
    Now my question that I would still like for you to answer

Last edited by ExpressLane; 09-24-2022 at 04:55 PM.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pols say no to new residential development all the time here. In many places it’s damn near impossible to build. Hard to get elected in many places here being pro development.
    ut development does still happen, right ?
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My original statement that cause you to immediately jump to property taxes was

Now my question that I would still like for you to answer

I'm not following the logic behind say a new environmental law that increases energy costs or an increase in the income tax makes housing cost more. Home prices in Texas and Florida have risen dramatically recently. Is that because they passed a bunch of wacky laws and have high income taxes?

(I have football blaring in the background and honestly can't try and do math on a hypothetical right now. I'll try and answer that later.)

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    ut development does still happen, right ?
    Sure, it's not that there is literally zero development here but anyone who lives here knows how hard and costly it is to get something approved to be built. NIMBYism is a religion here. You can't build in that type of environment. Mandating large parking levels next to public transportation is a great example of that. That's why this legislation is good.

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sure, it's not that there is literally zero development here but anyone who lives here knows how hard and costly it is to get something approved to be built. NIMBYism is a religion here. You can't build in that type of environment. Mandating large parking levels next to public transportation is a great example of that. That's why this legislation is good.
    well i hope for your sake it helps but i remain skeptical.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

10. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    well i hope for your sake it helps but i remain skeptical.
    We have such a deficit of housing that it is going to take a loooong time to catch up. And no single piece of legislation is going to change that deficit, including this one. However, hopefully this legislation is a catalyst for additional change that will make building needed housing even slightly easier.

I'll throw this out there. You hear in a number of states about Californian's moving there and messing things up. For those that feel that way, they should be happy this legislation passed. More housing here likely means less people leaving the state.

11. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm not following the logic behind say a new environmental law that increases energy costs or an increase in the income tax makes housing cost more. Home prices in Texas and Florida have risen dramatically recently. Is that because they passed a bunch of wacky laws and have high income taxes?

(I have football blaring in the background and honestly can't try and do math on a hypothetical right now. I'll try and answer that later.)
    Trust me if you can't do that math in a 15 sec commercial break you need to stay in California. The increasing prices of construction materials (Biden flation) the increasing labor cost (paying people to stay home = bad) and the increase in people moving from California and New York and other states moving into Texas have all helped to increase the cost of homes.(Seller's market) Do you deny that Californians are leaving California to lower their tax burdens?

According to the Census estimates, Texas welcomed 537,000 - 582,000 new residents in 2019. This is the seventh year in a row that Texas attracted more than 500,000 new residents from out of state.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

BTW: The comparison on California housing costs and Texas housing costs was from Mar 05, 2022

Last edited by ExpressLane; 09-24-2022 at 07:37 PM.
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

12. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

We have such a deficit of housing that it is going to take a loooong time to catch up. And no single piece of legislation is going to change that deficit, including this one. However, hopefully this legislation is a catalyst for additional change that will make building needed housing even slightly easier.

I'll throw this out there. You hear in a number of states about Californian's moving there and messing things up. For those that feel that way, they should be happy this legislation passed. More housing here likely means less people leaving the state.
    please note that when I say develoopment I mean commercial as well as residential. stop incorporating more businesses and that housing deficit will take care of itself.

Cali is FULL. At least the costal metropolises.

13. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,307 Times in 13,426 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

This is actually good legislation. Everyone here complains there's too much traffic, congestion blah, blah, blah along with completely unaffordable housing. How do you deal with that? Build more housing near public transportation that allows those who want to to get around without a car. Previously the law required a minimum parking amount which was a huge cost burden and contributed to preventing development. If you're building out in the burbs away from public transit then yes you need to provide more parking. But if you're building right next to BART and other public transportation then you need less.

This will help provide more housing. It's a good thing.
    Until you realize that you can't do everything on public transit and need a car. Then it becomes a major problem...

14. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,115 Times in 12,640 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Until you realize that you can't do everything on public transit and need a car. Then it becomes a major problem...
    Or if you cant spare three hours every day to get around town to get done the things you need to do.

Notice how the communists dont give a fuck.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

15. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,115 Times in 12,640 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trying to use mass transit with kids is a nightmare.

The communists could not care less.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!