Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: What Does AOC Have That Boebert Does Not?

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,657 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McRocket View Post
    She married a guy who flashes minors and assaults her...on the basis of seeing his flaccid penis in a bowling alley?
    Umm....okaaaaaaay.

And this is what you assume, most women look for in a man?
    So noted.

Good day.
    I don't assume Boebert is like most women. Isn't that the topic of this thread?

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello LurchAddams,

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    Find me an elected Republican willing to work with us, stop denying the 2020 election was legitimate and work with us to shore up voting rights, I'm with them 100%.

By the way, the "elected Republican" I just described, doesn't exist. This is NOT a "both sides" situation. Republicans think elections don't matter unless they win.

We can't have that.
    Holding grudges won't fix things. It only hurts the one holding the grudge. Those elected Republicans are out there, but they are slipping away because of all the animosity. Liz Cheney is currently elected. So is Adam Kinzinger. Cheney lost her election largely because Republicans think Democrats are horrible people. When we lash out at them it reinforces those feelings.

If we are nice does it change anything right away? No, there is no instant gratification. Doing the right thing often results in delayed gratification.

You know what the deal is for the 'nice guy.' We all know who gets the stinky end of the stick. Do we still need nice people in this world? Is there a place for that any more? Is the world what we make it? Or are we simply powerless to affect human interaction.

Does getting the stinky end of the stick mean it's not worth being nice?

What famous wise people say we should hold grudges?

None.

Wise men and women over the ages have advised patience, perseverance, hard work, discipline, consideration, compassion, peace.

None of them have said there is any instant recognition for any of this, no instant gratification quotes from great minds to be found.

If we really want America to be great, we have to be great.

Being mean is not a great idea!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Agreed, that was my point. AOC should have known better.
    I don't see how it's productive to bust AOC's chops for having compassion for people working multiple jobs just to get by. A lot of those people could just be lazy and go on the dole, but no. They want to work. It's a tough life to work at zipless jobs and still not be able to save enough to get out of paying rent. Employers don't care. Employers are doing fine. AOC's concern is in the right place.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Frank Apisa (09-28-2022)

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    That 90% tax rate was the top marginal rate. The effective tax rate was always much lower. If you look at the historical figures in the government budget the revenue as a percent of the GDP was lower under those very high marginal rates that it was later when top marginal rate was reduced.

AOC's claim was not accurate because a person is employed no matter how many jobs he holds. Working three jobs does not count for three employed persons.

Government also creates jobs which cannot be lived on and who must work more than one job-police, teachers, janitors, etc. So, it has little to do with capitalism.
    It has everything to do with capitalism as that is the major part of our economy and government jobs must compete with private sector jobs. Democrats are more likely to increase pay and benefits of government jobs. Republicans are more likely to shaft government workers and screw them out of getting raises. Republicans are always trying to make government services look bad so they can privatize things and reward their big money donors. AOC is looking out for the hard working least rewarded sectors of our economy. People like Boebert, with her lack of a college degree, favor the rich employers who don't need any help at all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Frank Apisa (09-28-2022)

7. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 49 Times in 45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

A college degree.
    I'VE POSTED SOME TERRIBLE THINGS ABOUT
    DONALD TRUMP

I JUST WANTED TO SAY TO EVERYONE
    THAT I MEANT ALL OF IT.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 50USA For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-27-2022)

9. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Taichiliberal,

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    That doesn't make sense as you say. Think about it: One of the major indicators of the economy is employment. One of the ways that is used to rate such is how many folk are on unemployment benefits. Those benefits are limited depending on a person's actual employment time and how much they made. Now, when that time is up, those people are off the rolls Yet, they are NOT counted as unemployed...in fact the lessened unemployment list is counted as positive indicator that unemployment is down. The closest it's come to accounting for these folk was a vague reference that "people have given up looking for jobs" (never a quantifiable number given). I'm referring to FACT as done by the gov't & private agencies who report in the broadcast/print media in my life time.

Add to this the FACT that 3 different jobs report x-amount of employees each, but the one person working three jobs does NOT fit into that tally, you have flawed report. So in reality, 2 people are NOT employed but one person is being counted as such.
    It's a good point. It affects the job count, not the unemployment rate. When the BLS says so many thousand jobs were added, that could be a third of that number of people working actually working 3 jobs each! And all the ones whose benefits have run out are labelled as 'having given up looking for a job,' which is BS.

AOC is a politician. They grant themselves wide license as we know to talk about anything they wish to say instead of addressing precise points directly. If AOC wants to use her moment in the spotlight to talk about how tough people at the bottom rungs of success have it, then good on her.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Taichiliberal (09-28-2022)

11. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome America,

Quote Originally Posted by America View Post
    The Republicans actually make fun of AOC for having been working class.

Let that sink in.
    Thanks for joining the discussions. Good point. While some become mired in trivial details it is always good to keep sight of the big picture.

Since you decided to join JPP, you must be familiar with how rough it can be here. FYI, I approach things differently than most. I like being polite, and have little patience for rudeness. Subsequently, I have a huge Ignore List. Generally, I don't care what people say to others but those who mouth off at me are placed on Ignore. Since I'm liberal, that mostly means Trump supporters, but I do have some rude liberals on there too.

Hopefully that won't affect our discussions. I'm glad you've joined us. I look forward to hearing more of your take on things.

Republicans making fun of AOC are really covering for their envy that someone so young, smart and good looking is not on their side.

12. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,896 Times in 6,587 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 537 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello LurchAddams,

Holding grudges won't fix things. It only hurts the one holding the grudge. Those elected Republicans are out there, but they are slipping away because of all the animosity. Liz Cheney is currently elected. So is Adam Kinzinger. Cheney lost her election largely because Republicans think Democrats are horrible people. When we lash out at them it reinforces those feelings.

If we are nice does it change anything right away? No, there is no instant gratification. Doing the right thing often results in delayed gratification.

You know what the deal is for the 'nice guy.' We all know who gets the stinky end of the stick. Do we still need nice people in this world? Is there a place for that any more? Is the world what we make it? Or are we simply powerless to affect human interaction.

Does getting the stinky end of the stick mean it's not worth being nice?

What famous wise people say we should hold grudges?

None.

Wise men and women over the ages have advised patience, perseverance, hard work, discipline, consideration, compassion, peace.

None of them have said there is any instant recognition for any of this, no instant gratification quotes from great minds to be found.

If we really want America to be great, we have to be great.

Being mean is not a great idea!
    I gotta disagree with you there. The Republicans of course hate everyone who feels differently that they do, they're just mean and hateful. Watch the clips of Roger Stone - his attitude is, "fuck it, lets start the violence now". Stone and the rest of the MAGAs know they'll never be in the majority, which is why they're attacking our voting system now.

Being nice didn't prevent Italy from electing a fascist/Nazi to be their new prime minister. You know the Republicans invited her, Victor Orban and other fascists at CPAC because they love the racist and anti-LGBTQ policies in those fucked up countries.

Liz Cheney and Adam K. have been banned from the party. The party has been taken over by fascists in trump's image.

I'm sorry. The MAGAs don't give a fuck about reaching out to us.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Taichiliberal (09-28-2022)

14. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,989 Times in 3,362 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 637 Times in 605 Posts

Only one person out of ten is working in the example. That one person is working 3 jobs. The system reports that employment is up and unemployment is down because it only reports the jobs filled as if three separate people are working instead of just one.
    You have it all wrong in how the unemployment rate is calculated. It is done with a survey. People are asked:
    Do you have a job? People with one job answer yes and people with three jobs answer yes.
    If you don't have a job are you looking for work? Only people with no jobs and looking for work answer yes.
    If you don't have a job are you not looking for work?

The standard unemployment rate is the people looking for work divided by the sum of people working and looking for work. A person that has three jobs is only counted once since they are only one person.

Other unemployment rates such as U6 are calculated differently. U6 is people with jobs divided by all persons over 16 include retired and those not looking for work.
    There is also an underemployed category which includes people working part time that would like to be working full time.

If 1 out of 10 people is working 3 jobs and the other 9 people are looking for work then the unemployment would be 90%. If 1 out of 10 people is working 3 jobs, 4 people are looking for work and 5 people are not looking for work then the unemployment would be 75%.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

15. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello McRocket,

Quote Originally Posted by McRocket View Post
    Okaaay.

And what does one have to do with the other?
    Possession of a college degree indicates higher intelligence, as evidenced by AOC correctly saying we need to tax the rich more and Boebert merely saying the certified 2020 election 'was stolen,' but not offering any proof of it.

16. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That doesn't make sense as you say. Think about it: One of the major indicators of the economy is employment. One of the ways that is used to rate such is how many folk are on unemployment benefits. Those benefits are limited depending on a person's actual employment time and how much they made. Now, when that time is up, those people are off the rolls Yet, they are NOT counted as unemployed...in fact the lessened unemployment list is counted as positive indicator that unemployment is down. The closest it's come to accounting for these folk was a vague reference that "people have given up looking for jobs" (never a quantifiable number given). I'm referring to FACT as done by the gov't & private agencies who report in the broadcast/print media in my life time.

Add to this the FACT that 3 different jobs report x-amount of employees each, but the one person working three jobs does NOT fit into that tally, you have flawed report. So in reality, 2 people are NOT employed but one person is being counted as such.
    You are conflating 3 different reporting systems and trying to claim they say things they don't.
    Unemployment is based on a household survey.
    People collecting unemployment is based on the actual number of people applying for unemployment so it is related to people that have lost jobs and doesn't reflect unemployment in general.
    The ADP employment survey counts the number of people getting paid for work so it can double count people if someone is working 2 jobs.

The ADP employment survey almost never matches the unemployment survey or the unemployment survey. They can show similar trends but they will rarely match.

17. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello 50USA,

Quote Originally Posted by 50USA View Post
    A good position to take!

Credit: AOC.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

50USA (09-27-2022)

19. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello McRocket,

Possession of a college degree indicates higher intelligence, as evidenced by AOC correctly saying we need to tax the rich more and Boebert merely saying the certified 2020 election 'was stolen,' but not offering any proof of it.
    A college degree doesn't necessarily indicate a higher intelligence. It indicates an ability and willingness to do the work required to earn that degree. Highly intelligent people can often be bad at school because they are bored.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

LurchAddams (09-27-2022)

21. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,657 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Hello Flash,

I don't see how it's productive to bust AOC's chops for having compassion for people working multiple jobs just to get by. A lot of those people could just be lazy and go on the dole, but no. They want to work. It's a tough life to work at zipless jobs and still not be able to save enough to get out of paying rent. Employers don't care. Employers are doing fine. AOC's concern is in the right place.
    I did not see any attack on AOC for having compassion for people working multiple jobs. Her knowledge of economics was questioned for thinking people with multiple jobs was one reason for the low unemployment rate.

22. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello LurchAddams

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    I gotta disagree with you there. The Republicans of course hate everyone who feels differently that they do, they're just mean and hateful. Watch the clips of Roger Stone - his attitude is, "fuck it, lets start the violence now". Stone and the rest of the MAGAs know they'll never be in the majority, which is why they're attacking our voting system now.

Being nice didn't prevent Italy from electing a fascist/Nazi to be their new prime minister. You know the Republicans invited her, Victor Orban and other fascists at CPAC because they love the racist and anti-LGBTQ policies in those fucked up countries.

Liz Cheney and Adam K. have been banned from the party. The party has been taken over by fascists in trump's image.

I'm sorry. The MAGAs don't give a fuck about reaching out to us.
    And that is no reason to drop to their level. Doing so is essentially saying if they can be mean and nasty, then that makes it OK for us to do the same thing. And I say no that is wrong. Observing wrong-doing does not somehow make it OK to do wrong. That would only work if two wrongs make a right; but they do not.

Furthermore, it lowers us to their level.

Michelle Obama has it right.

When they go low, we go high.

It is a mistake to equate all Republicans with the Trump cult.