Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What Does AOC Have That Boebert Does Not?

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,654 Times in 4,435 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Flash,

It has everything to do with capitalism as that is the major part of our economy and government jobs must compete with private sector jobs. Democrats are more likely to increase pay and benefits of government jobs. Republicans are more likely to shaft government workers and screw them out of getting raises. Republicans are always trying to make government services look bad so they can privatize things and reward their big money donors. AOC is looking out for the hard working least rewarded sectors of our economy. People like Boebert, with her lack of a college degree, favor the rich employers who don't need any help at all.
    Following your "demand" that we all be "woke," PoliTalker has committed "microaggressions" against Republicans. Or, does being woke allow attacks on others?

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,893 Times in 6,585 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 537 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello LurchAddams

And that is no reason to drop to their level. Doing so is essentially saying if they can be mean and nasty, then that makes it OK for us to do the same thing. And I say no that is wrong. Observing wrong-doing does not somehow make it OK to do wrong. That would only work if two wrongs make a right; but they do not.

Furthermore, it lowers us to their level.

Michelle Obama has it right.

When they go low, we go high.

It is a mistake to equate all Republicans with the Trump cult.

[video=youtube_share;ro8rkZ4HQZQ]https://youtu.be/ro8rkZ4HQZQ
    Ask Hilary Clinton how much "going high" helped get her elected in 2016. MAGA's not respect politeness, they respect only strength.

Find me anyone in the MAGA world who respects, "being nice". Who should I be talking to?
    Last edited by LurchAddams; 09-27-2022 at 10:51 AM.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,893 Times in 6,585 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 537 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    A college degree doesn't necessarily indicate a higher intelligence. It indicates an ability and willingness to do the work required to earn that degree. Highly intelligent people can often be bad at school because they are bored.
    So that was my excuse? Thank you

I agree, my current job (sales) does not require a college degree and I'll never do anything else. I am glad I had the college experience and I did retain a lot of what I learned in school. So college, although not required to be successful, is an asset. You can also have just as a rewarding an experience by back-packing around the world after high school. I admire people who do that.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Poor Richard Saunders,

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    A college degree doesn't necessarily indicate a higher intelligence. It indicates an ability and willingness to do the work required to earn that degree. Highly intelligent people can often be bad at school because they are bored.
    Exceptions do exist. There is nothing to suggest it in this case.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I did not see any attack on AOC for having compassion for people working multiple jobs. Her knowledge of economics was questioned for thinking people with multiple jobs was one reason for the low unemployment rate.
    Someone looking to bust her chops would have to look at minutia. Looks to me like she took an opportunity to make a good point. Counting someone as working by definition of working one hour per week hardly means they are doing OK. Sure, the unemployment rate is low, but that does not accurately reflect that people are doing OK. Some of them are working multiple jobs and still struggling. That was the point she wanted to make. If she made it sound like a misunderstanding of economics that wasn't the point, but those with a closed mind and a heap of prejudice will look for whatever they can to criticize her, while purposely overlooking her concern for struggling American workers who can't even make ends meet despite working multiple jobs.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,616 Times in 21,479 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

A college degree.
    looks, intelligence, a clue.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-27-2022)

8. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Following your "demand" that we all be "woke," PoliTalker has committed "microaggressions" against Republicans. Or, does being woke allow attacks on others?
    I have attacked no one in particular, yet offered sound criticism where it was due.

That is what woke is all about. Concern for those members of society who are economically attacked by the rich and powerful, and characteristically attacked by the prejudiced and hateful.

9. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Flash,

Someone looking to bust her chops would have to look at minutia. Looks to me like she took an opportunity to make a good point. Counting someone as working by definition of working one hour per week hardly means they are doing OK. Sure, the unemployment rate is low, but that does not accurately reflect that people are doing OK. Some of them are working multiple jobs and still struggling. That was the point she wanted to make. If she made it sound like a misunderstanding of economics that wasn't the point, but those with a closed mind and a heap of prejudice will look for whatever they can to criticize her, while purposely overlooking her concern for struggling American workers who can't even make ends meet despite working multiple jobs.
    A person does not have to be prejudiced or dislike AOC to correct her description of how unemployment is determined. The topic was unemployment rate and had nothing to do with compassion, people struggling, or making ends meet. Misunderstanding the unemployment rate gives no help to any of these problems. Everything is not about partisan explanations; sometimes, truthful explanations and knowledge is the point.

10. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Flash,

I have attacked no one in particular, yet offered sound criticism where it was due.

That is what woke is all about. Concern for those members of society who are economically attacked by the rich and powerful, and characteristically attacked by the prejudiced and hateful.
    Attacking anybody is an unacceptable microaggression (to the really woke). Microaggressions do not just apply to those who are not rich and powerful but to attacks on every person assuming you still favor civil discourse.

11. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello LurchAddams,

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    Ask Hilary Clinton how much "going high" helped get her elected in 2016. MAGA's not respect politeness, they respect only strength.

Fine me anyone in the MAGA world who respects, "being nice". Who should I be talking to?
    It did get Hillary 3 million more votes. America preferred Hillary.

The people who tacitly support Trump because they fear Democrats more than Trump are not quotable public figures so it would be impossible to offer examples, but that doesn't mean they can't be nice people.

And in general, so many of them turned on Trump in 2020 that he lost both the popular vote and the electoral vote. Many of those who voted against Trump are Republicans.

Here are Republicans, being nice, and critical of the cult:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

LurchAddams (09-27-2022)

13. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

A person does not have to be prejudiced or dislike AOC to correct her description of how unemployment is determined. The topic was unemployment rate and had nothing to do with compassion, people struggling, or making ends meet. Misunderstanding the unemployment rate gives no help to any of these problems. Everything is not about partisan explanations; sometimes, truthful explanations and knowledge is the point.
    And sometimes getting hung up on a small thing makes it possible to miss the big picture.

14. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Flash,

Attacking anybody is an unacceptable microaggression (to the really woke). Microaggressions do not just apply to those who are not rich and powerful but to attacks on every person assuming you still favor civil discourse.
    Are you attempting to establish that it is inappropriate to criticize the Republican party?

15. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,986 Times in 3,359 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 636 Times in 604 Posts

I'm not sure AOC is crazy smart. When explaining why unemployment was so low she said it was because many people were working 2-3 jobs--that from an economics major.
    I would have to see the quote and the context before accepting your interpretation. Do you have a link?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

16. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Flash,

And sometimes getting hung up on a small thing makes it possible to miss the big picture.
    Sure, but the big picture was not the topic, it was how we calculate the unemployment rate. Sometimes it is necessary to understand the basics of the system before we can understand the big picture.

If we think unemployment is falling because people are working 2-3 jobs that creates a very different big picture than more realistic explanations.

17. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Flash,

Are you attempting to establish that it is inappropriate to criticize the Republican party?
    Nope, I was (kiddingly) following your call for everybody to be "woke."