Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe Trump can 'declassify' classified docs by just 'thinking about them'?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,174 Times in 5,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 593 Times in 557 Posts

Default Do you believe Trump can 'declassify' classified docs by just 'thinking about them'?

Here's Trump's latest bullshit. He can 'declassify' documents by just thinking about them. Do you believe him?

Trump’s claim of declassifying documents ‘by thinking about it’ is mocked by legal experts

Former President Trump says he could declassify documents just “by thinking about it” — an outlandish claim that drew howls of outrage from legal experts.

Speaking to Fox News’s Sean Hannity, Trump asserted there is no need for the president to formally declassify documents or even notify anyone that he has done so.

“If you’re the president of the United States, you can declassify just by saying, ‘It’s declassified,’ even by thinking about it,” Trump said.

“There can be a process, but there doesn’t have to be,” he added. “You’re the president. You make that decision.”

Trump is scrambling to find a legally viable defense to the investigation into mishandling top secret documents that led to the Aug. 8 search of his Mar-a-Lago Florida resort.

He apparently believes one defense could be that the documents were no longer classified because he says so.

But experts vigorously dispute that, noting that he has never provided any evidence that he declassified them before leaving the White House.

“I tried not to burst out laughing,” said Bradley P. Moss, a national security lawyer.

A three-judge federal appeals court panel, including two Trump-appointed justices, trashed Trump’s claim Wednesday night, saying documents that are marked as classified are considered classified unless there is evidence they have been declassified.
    Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

christiefan915 (09-22-2022), Guno צְבִי (09-22-2022), signalmankenneth (09-22-2022), Taichiliberal (09-22-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

its not a matter of what anyone who isnt a Supreme Court justice thinks or believes.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

4. The Following User Groans At Celticguy For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (09-22-2022)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

Truth Detector (09-22-2022)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,771 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    its not a matter of what anyone who isnt a Supreme Court justice thinks or believes.
    I’m pretty sure even the Supreme Court is laughing at the notion that Presidents can declassify documents in their minds.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

christiefan915 (09-22-2022), Guno צְבִי (09-22-2022), Joe Capitalist (09-22-2022), LurchAddams (09-22-2022), signalmankenneth (09-22-2022)

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

They won’t decide it trumps way if they are asked to weigh in

They know trump is toast

They have lifetime jobs

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Capitalist View Post
    Here's Trump's latest bullshit. He can 'declassify' documents by just thinking about them. Do you believe him?

Trump’s claim of declassifying documents ‘by thinking about it’ is mocked by legal experts

Former President Trump says he could declassify documents just “by thinking about it” — an outlandish claim that drew howls of outrage from legal experts.

Speaking to Fox News’s Sean Hannity, Trump asserted there is no need for the president to formally declassify documents or even notify anyone that he has done so.

“If you’re the president of the United States, you can declassify just by saying, ‘It’s declassified,’ even by thinking about it,” Trump said.

“There can be a process, but there doesn’t have to be,” he added. “You’re the president. You make that decision.”

Trump is scrambling to find a legally viable defense to the investigation into mishandling top secret documents that led to the Aug. 8 search of his Mar-a-Lago Florida resort.

He apparently believes one defense could be that the documents were no longer classified because he says so.

But experts vigorously dispute that, noting that he has never provided any evidence that he declassified them before leaving the White House.

“I tried not to burst out laughing,” said Bradley P. Moss, a national security lawyer.

A three-judge federal appeals court panel, including two Trump-appointed justices, trashed Trump’s claim Wednesday night, saying documents that are marked as classified are considered classified unless there is evidence they have been declassified.
    How can he just think it and all the people who have to physically reclassify them know they need to change the record?

It’s utter insanity to even entertain that stupidity

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to evince For This Post:

christiefan915 (09-22-2022), Guno צְבִי (09-22-2022), Joe Capitalist (09-22-2022)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This isn't a court of law, ColicGuy. It's just a question on a political forum. Your deflection is embarrassing you.

But it's obvious why too much of a pussy to answer. You'll look like a fool (just like you orange Jesus) if you say 'yes'.

“We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

evince (09-22-2022), Guno צְבִי (09-22-2022)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I’m pretty sure even the Supreme Court is laughing at the notion that Presidents can declassify documents in their minds.
    Well remember that there is no documented process for a president to follow and he IS the ultimate decider as to what is classified or not. Yes, they most often opt to not exercise that authority and I suspect there are loads of documents that get classified that way he never has any reason to read.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

15. The Following User Groans At Celticguy For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (09-23-2022)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    They won’t decide it trumps way if they are asked to weigh in

They know trump is toast

They have lifetime jobs
    they decide who is toast and what the Constitution instructs.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

19. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

they decide who is toast and what the Constitution instructs.
    They won’t destroy the courts reputation to keep trump out of prison

Why would they?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-22-2022)

21. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well remember that there is no documented process for a president to follow and he IS the ultimate decider as to what is classified or not. Yes, they most often opt to not exercise that authority and I suspect there are loads of documents that get classified that way he never has any reason to read.
    Cite the part of the constitution you are relying on

22. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Taichiliberal (09-22-2022)

23. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,989 Times in 3,362 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 637 Times in 605 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Oh. C'mon... I can declassify documents just be thinking I am President and then by thinking that I am declassifying documents while I am thinking about being President. It's perfect. No one has ever thought better.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

christiefan915 (09-22-2022), Guno צְבִי (09-22-2022), LurchAddams (09-23-2022), Phantasmal (09-23-2022)

25. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

There is a documented process, which Trump never bothered to go through. You notice neither trump himself nor any of his legal team ever told a judge that these documents were declassified.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to floridafan For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-22-2022), Jarod (09-24-2022), LurchAddams (09-23-2022)

27. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There you go embarrassing yourself again, ColicGuy. There is ABSOLUTELY a process that EVERYONE in the gov't has to follow.

You continue to make bullshit up on the fly to make excuses for your King Trump. Do you really think anybody believes your big pile of bullshit?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-22-2022), LurchAddams (09-23-2022)

29. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    They won’t destroy the courts reputation to keep trump out of prison

Why would they?

Because its the right thing. Just like Roe V Wade.

If he has the authority then he has the authority.

Doing the right thing is regaining respect whether you like it or not.