Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fed Rate Announcement on Wednesday

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    Actually after he showed us the pics, me and Lady T were like, wtf? "Did you ever suspect Cawacko was an undercover hottie?" "Nope, never saw it coming."

We both thought Superfreak might be the undercover hottie. Goes to show. You just don't know.
    I miss Superfreak. No one had a spastic colon like him and no one could trigger it like me. LOL
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 18 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Wow, LadyT?!?! That’s going back to 2008. She was a smoke show!
    She still is, honestly.
    “If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Darla For This Post:

cawacko (09-21-2022)

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I miss Superfreak. No one had a spastic colon like him and no one could trigger it like me. LOL
    I don't miss him at all, but I do miss watching you drive him off the cliff. Of course, he had a tenuous hold on sanity, but still, nobody did it better than you Mott!
    “If you wait by the river long enough, the bodies of your enemies will float by.”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Darla For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (09-21-2022)

6. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

As expected 75bps with the expectation to continue raising through the remainder of the year. It sounds like those who were hoping Powell would offer rhetoric in his press conference towards a more dovish stance going forward are being disappointed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

LurchAddams (09-21-2022)

8. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

As expected 75bps with the expectation to continue raising through the remainder of the year. It sounds like those who were hoping Powell would offer rhetoric in his press conference towards a more dovish stance going forward are being disappointed.

he has become more consistent. Still too timid but them's the breaks.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

9. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I don't miss him at all, but I do miss watching you drive him off the cliff. Of course, he had a tenuous hold on sanity, but still, nobody did it better than you Mott!
    Since we’re flashing back I just remembered Topspin. He was always a trip. Didn’t he love weed and the stock market and if someone else didn’t they were a ‘turbo lib’ or something like that? Haha

10. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,242 Times in 13,967 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,054 Times in 2,849 Posts

Who is this abstract revolution that is pressuring Powell to only go up 50bps? I don't know if I've read a single Fed observer who thinks they will only raise 50 bps.

(Leaving aside the absurdity, those the farthest out there don't want the Fed to raise rates at all - I've heard no one say they should go up 50 bps.)
    Oh, no, don't go there, I have asked him a number of times who is this "Revolution," and at best, when forced, all I get in return is "deep state," "globalists," "those people"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-21-2022)

12. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You think the seventy five is drastic?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

LurchAddams (09-21-2022)

14. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    You think the seventy five is drastic?
    No, not at all.

15. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No, not at all.
    It does amount to something close to 3% over the last two years or so, but Inflation is still running at 8%, and it will be credit cards, spending, that will be effected first. But you are going to see slowdowns in growth and employment numbers

The Fed has always played a guessing game, difficult to get the actual balance right, and the consequences of anything they do doesn't happen overnight

16. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It does amount to something close to 3% over the last two years or so, but Inflation is still running at 8%, and it will be credit cards, spending, that will be effected first. But you are going to see slowdowns in growth and employment numbers

The Fed has always played a guessing game, difficult to get the actual balance right, and the consequences of anything they do doesn't happen overnight
    There were people were hoping to hear Powell say today he's going to slow down increases going forward, but stuck to his guns that he will continue to raise rates until inflation comes down.

You remember this better than I but he does not want a repeat of what Aurther Burns did in the 70's, raising rates but stopping too soon before inflation was tamed because of the economy. No one wants to see a slowing economy and unemployment increase but Burns' attempt to toe that line failed. Volker had to come in and crush inflation.

Powell should have started raising rates last year. He failed thinking inflation was transitory. Now it sure seems he doesn't want to fail again thus is sticking with aggressive increases going forward.

17. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Since we’re flashing back I just remembered Topspin. He was always a trip. Didn’t he love weed and the stock market and if someone else didn’t they were a ‘turbo lib’ or something like that? Haha
    LOL yep. One of the funniest posters ever, almost always high. He used to (attempt) to call me the spinster, but he could never get it right and it always came out "the spinzer". He insulted me all the time but never vulgarly and I never cared, I laughed so hard at his posts.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Darla For This Post:

cawacko (09-21-2022)

19. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Oh, no, don't go there, I have asked him a number of times who is this "Revolution," and at best, when forced, all I get in return is "deep state," "globalists," "those people"
    Especially in this instance because there is no set right-wing and left-wing position on rates. Bernanke was a Republican and Yellen a Democrat and yet their policies were nearly identical. Arthur Burns was a Nixon appointee and he was far more dovish than Volker, a Carter appointee.

What was interesting to me was hearing candidate Trump in '16 talk about the Fed and he rightfully called them out for their easy money policies and the bubbles they created. Of course once in office he was all over Powell to lower rates because President's, like all politicians, generally only care about the here and now and in this case letting the fallout of easy money policies happen on someone else's watch.

But yeah, I have no idea what the 'non-Revolution' thinks the Fed should do.

20. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

LOL yep. One of the funniest posters ever, almost always high. He used to (attempt) to call me the spinster, but he could never get it right and it always came out "the spinzer". He insulted me all the time but never vulgarly and I never cared, I laughed so hard at his posts.
    Elle Oh Elle, totally forgot about the spinster claims! That's right. Haha.

He was so funny when he was high and would announce he was rich. Maybe I'm making this up but I could swear there was someone who would respond, "but you live in Louisiana". And of course Topspin would tell them to F off. Hahaha.