Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 61

Thread: The Meaning of Life

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    32,938
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11,130 Times in 7,938 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,149 Times in 1,054 Posts

    Default The Meaning of Life

    A philosophy professor writes:

    “I assume you’re here for The Meaning of Life?” I asked on the first day of classes a few falls ago.

    Sixteen heads bobbed over a regiment of crisp new notebooks and pens cocked for action.

    “That phrase is a bit misleading,” I said. “When most people hear it, they think of large-scale questions like ‘What does it all mean?,’ ‘Why are we here?,’ ‘Why is there something rather than nothing?’ The assumption is that there’s some deep order built into the universe that we might uncover and comprehend.”

    https://thepointmag.com/examined-lif...aning-of-life/

  2. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    60,623
    Thanks
    4,963
    Thanked 9,676 Times in 7,649 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 419 Times in 396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    A philosophy professor writes:

    “I assume you’re here for The Meaning of Life?” I asked on the first day of classes a few falls ago.

    Sixteen heads bobbed over a regiment of crisp new notebooks and pens cocked for action.

    “That phrase is a bit misleading,” I said. “When most people hear it, they think of large-scale questions like ‘What does it all mean?,’ ‘Why are we here?,’ ‘Why is there something rather than nothing?’ The assumption is that there’s some deep order built into the universe that we might uncover and comprehend.”

    https://thepointmag.com/examined-lif...aning-of-life/
    we know.

    nihilism......

    fucking stupid.
    "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." — Benito Mussolini

    Internationalist Fascism is fascism on an international scale, with multinational corporations achieving state capture over several states.

    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --Asshatzombie

  3. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Life is a "BYOP" proposition (Bring your own point).

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perry Phimosis For This Post:

    evince (09-30-2022)

  5. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    ......

  6. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    32,938
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11,130 Times in 7,938 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,149 Times in 1,054 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Phimosis View Post
    Life is a "BYOP" proposition (Bring your own point).
    So every single person on the planet has an absolutely unique understand of life?

  7. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    So every single person on the planet has an absolutely unique understand of life?

    Not entirely certain I get your meaning, what with the tortured syntax.

  8. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    32,938
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11,130 Times in 7,938 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,149 Times in 1,054 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Phimosis View Post
    Not entirely certain I get your meaning, what with the tortured syntax.
    Standard syntax.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to BidenPresident For This Post:

    evince (09-30-2022)

  10. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Standard syntax.

    Not really. I suspect you MIGHT have meant "standard understanding of life", but as it is written (caveman style) it is impossible to tell you meaning. Care to flesh it out a bit?

  11. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    32,938
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11,130 Times in 7,938 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,149 Times in 1,054 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Phimosis View Post
    Not really. I suspect you MIGHT have meant "standard understanding of life", but as it is written (caveman style) it is impossible to tell you meaning. Care to flesh it out a bit?
    fuck off you stupid troll

  12. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    fuck off you stupid troll

    Perhaps you could learn to write in English? I suspect it isn't your first language but that doesn't mean you have to do it poorly.

  13. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    32,938
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11,130 Times in 7,938 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,149 Times in 1,054 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Phimosis View Post
    Perhaps you could learn to write in English? I suspect it isn't your first language but that doesn't mean you have to do it poorly.
    you are very stupid

  14. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    45,042
    Thanks
    11,315
    Thanked 12,332 Times in 9,152 Posts
    Groans
    44
    Groaned 4,713 Times in 4,035 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    A philosophy professor writes:

    “I assume you’re here for The Meaning of Life?” I asked on the first day of classes a few falls ago.

    Sixteen heads bobbed over a regiment of crisp new notebooks and pens cocked for action.

    “That phrase is a bit misleading,” I said. “When most people hear it, they think of large-scale questions like ‘What does it all mean?,’ ‘Why are we here?,’ ‘Why is there something rather than nothing?’ The assumption is that there’s some deep order built into the universe that we might uncover and comprehend.”

    https://thepointmag.com/examined-lif...aning-of-life/
    Good article. I’m re-reading a couple of portions of it to chew on it awhile.

    Thanks for posting it.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

    evince (09-30-2022)

  16. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    32,938
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11,130 Times in 7,938 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,149 Times in 1,054 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    Good article. I’m re-reading a couple of portions of it to chew on it awhile.

    Thanks for posting it.
    Good. This is the perspective of a professor talking about the analytic school of philosophy which tends to be science based.
    Her students look for meaning in their actual lives and experience. Thus analytic philosophy is not much help.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to BidenPresident For This Post:

    domer76 (09-30-2022)

  18. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    you are very stupid
    You lack any real evidence to support that claim (yet), so I will simply ignore it and attempt to address your crudely presented point.

    My point to which you responded was that life is a "bring your own point" concept. That's just a statement of a soft form of nihilism. I fail to believe that there is some overarching supernaturally developed "reason for life". It just is. It is up to us to figure out what we want to do with it.

    Now, are you able to discuss without name calling?

  19. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    92,596
    Thanks
    32,096
    Thanked 45,702 Times in 35,199 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,374 Times in 2,331 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Phimosis View Post
    Life is a "BYOP" proposition (Bring your own point).
    ...annnnd your point is to be a dumbass troll posting from your living facility? Living a fantasy life online because your real life sucks ass?

Similar Threads

  1. The meaning of life - from world intellectual traditions
    By Cypress in forum Religion, Philosophy, and Ethics
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 07-07-2021, 05:28 AM
  2. Existentialism and the meaning of life
    By Cypress in forum Religion, Philosophy, and Ethics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-01-2021, 04:13 PM
  3. the meaning of life for lib'ruls.....
    By PostmodernProphet in forum Religion, Philosophy, and Ethics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2021, 06:34 AM
  4. Why would God give life meaning?
    By FUCK THE POLICE in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 10:51 PM
  5. Poll: What is the meaning of life?
    By Sir Galahad in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 06:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •