Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: NASA cancels Artemis Launch

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Will the military permit the 27th launch attempt (#3)?

Should they?
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

2. The Following User Groans At Hawkeye10 For This Awful Post:

BartenderElite (10-21-2022)

3. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,628 Times in 51,918 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Will the military permit the 27th launch attempt (#3)?

Should they?
    IDK who's call it is. I'd say "Go for launch!"

Yes.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Artemis I Moon Rocket Departs Launch Pad 39B Ahead of Hurricane Ian
    https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/...hurricane-ian/

And the hits just keep on coming....
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

5. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well Sep did not happen. Maybe next month we will see this thing finally either launched or blown up on launch pad 39B. I am waiting for my show.

6. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

NASA rules out launch of Artemis 1 moon rocket before mid-November

NASA said Friday that officials have ruled out launching the agency’s first giant Space Launch System moon rocket and Orion spacecraft before mid-November, following the rocket’s return to the hangar at Kennedy Space Center for safekeeping from Hurricane Ian.

Ground teams at Kennedy completed initial inspections of the Artemis 1 moon rocket Friday after the spaceport experienced tropical storm force winds and heavy rain. Hurricane Ian, which struck Southwest Florida as a Category 4 storm, weakened to a tropical storm before reaching the Space Coast. The center of circulation passed directly over Kennedy Space Center.

NASA said the Artemis 1 moon rocket inside the Vehicle Assembly Building escaped damage, and ground facilities are in “good shape with only minor water intrusion identified in a few locations.”

Workers will next extend access platforms around the SLS moon rocket and Orion spacecraft inside High Bay 3 of the Vehicle Assembly Building. That will enable teams to perform additional inspections and prepare for the next launch attempt, which is now expected in November.

Agency officials said they are now targeting a launch period that opens Nov. 12 for the next opportunity to launch the Artemis 1 test flight. Artemis 1,
    https://spaceflightnow.com/2022/10/0...-mid-november/

So they have finally figured out that they have a shit quality rocket, and will apply Duck Tape hoping to get it to work.

7. The Following User Groans At Hawkeye10 For This Awful Post:

BartenderElite (10-21-2022)

8. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

9/23/2022
    So what is the upside of risking the rocket and spacecraft, which were developed at a cost of more than $30 billion, in a tropical system? By waiting out the weather NASA is seeking to preserve an opportunity to launch on September 27 or October 2. Failing that, it will need to roll back to the hangar regardless.

Doing so would likely push the next launch attempt into the second half of November. "Some life-limited items would be coming up in that case," Blevins said. This appeared to be an admission that for NASA, the clock is ticking on a rocket that has been fully stacked for launch for nearly a year now, and which has critical parts that cannot be serviced in that configuration. In short, NASA officials would very much like to get off the pad as soon as possible
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2022...mis-i-mission/

JOY

9. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

NASA has set a new date for the next launch attempt of its Artemis 1 moon mission.

Artemis 1 will have a 69-minute launch window that opens at 12:07 a.m. EST (1707 GMT) on Nov. 14, during which it will attempt to send the Orion crew capsule to lunar orbit, NASA stated(opens in new tab) in an update today (Oct. 12).
    https://www.space.com/nasa-artemis-1...ch-november-14

If they blow it up it will be quite the show.

10. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Since resuming work after Hurricane Ian, teams have extended work platforms around SLS and Orion to assess the exterior and access internal components. Exterior inspections will note any foam or cork from the thermal protection system on the rocket or spacecraft that might need to be repaired. Teams will replace the flight batteries for the interim cryogenic propulsion stage and the boosters, as well as the batteries for the flight termination system in the boosters and core stage.

Work will also include charging the CubeSats that are equipped to be re-charged and have elected to do so. Inside Orion, work will include replenishing the specimens and batteries for the biology investigations riding within the capsule, as well as recharging the batteries associated with the crew seat accelerometers and space radiation experiments.
    https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/...g-launch-date/

NASA's failure to launch is certainly getting to be a problem.

11. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

cork in a space ship ?
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

12. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    cork in a space ship ?
    NASA explains it here:

https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/sys...m-fire-and-ice

13. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

NASA ORDERS THREE MORE ORION SPACECRAFT FOR ARTEMIS MISSIONS
    https://www.spaceflightinsider.com/m...emis-missions/

Even as NASA cant get the rocket that is to carry it to work.

This is why we cant have nice things, too much corruption/incompetence.

14. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The reminds me of how we bought multiple additional Ford Class carriers even as we cant get the first one to work.

15. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

NASA’s Artemis I mega moon rocket could face damaging winds as storm approaches
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/08/world...scn/index.html

So far NASA is refusing to roll it back again to the safety of the assembly building (4 miles) and has not scrubbed the Nov 14 launch attempt, which certainly will not be happening if the storm predictions are anywhere near right.....which they have not been to date. Nasa is desperate to try to get this thing off, as it has been assembled for a long time, and has gone through many fuelings...every day of waiting adds more risk of metal failure or some other catastrophic failure.

16. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/08/world...scn/index.html

So far NASA is refusing to roll it back again to the safety of the assembly building (4 miles) and has not scrubbed the Nov 14 launch attempt, which certainly will not be happening if the storm predictions are anywhere near right.....which they have not been to date. Nasa is desperate to try to get this thing off, as it has been assembled for a long time, and has gone through many fuelings...every day of waiting adds more risk of metal failure or some other catastrophic failure.
    I'm sure Cape Canaveral seemed like an awesome spot for rocketry back in the day (my aunt n uncle enjoyed it, he worked there) but its wound up being a pretty shitty idea in hindsight. All my Florida family eventually moved elsewhere.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

17. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The process of rolling the Artemis I mission four miles back and forth, between the Vehicle Assembly Building and launch pad, puts a lot of stress on the vehicle. When it computes risk factors for the Artemis I launch vehicle, NASA has a certain budget for rollouts. The rocket has now been out to the pad on four separate occasions since this spring. While NASA has not confirmed this, according to a source, NASA has just one remaining roll in its budget. This does not mean the rocket will fall apart with additional roundtrips, it's just that additional movements would incrementally increase the risk of damage.
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2022...aches-florida/

What a clusterfuck.