Thread: NASA cancels Artemis Launch

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default NASA cancels Artemis Launch

Despite all of the hard work by its engineers and technicians, NASA did not really get close to firing up the massive Space Launch System (SLS) rocket on Monday.

The rocket experienced several issues during the countdown early on Monday before running into a technical problem the launch team could not solve: an RS-25 rocket engine that did not properly chill down prior to ignition.
    Beginning in April of this year, NASA conducted four separate "wet dress rehearsal" tests during which the agency aimed to fully fuel the SLS rocket and countdown to T-10 seconds, ending the test before ignition of the main engines. Each of these four tests ultimately ended prematurely, although the fourth attempt in June saw engineers bring the rocket down to T-29 seconds.

However, to reach that late stage in the countdown, NASA had to "fool" the flight computer. During the test, a 4-inch hydrogen line—smaller than the problematic 8-inch line on Monday—had a leaky seal. To complete the wet dress test, NASA chose to mask the leak from the ground launch sequencer, the ground-side computer that controls the majority of the countdown.

Because of this masking, NASA could not complete the engine chill portion of the test. Had it done so, the agency may well have uncovered the problem that caused a scrub on Monday. In hindsight, therefore, NASA probably should have completed a full wet dress rehearsal before rolling the rocket out for a launch. Instead, the agency effectively attempted a fifth wet dress test on Monday, when the world was expecting a launch
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2022...aunch-attempt/

The problem with the Americans trying to go back to the Moon is that NASA is nowhere near what it used to be.

100,000 had been predicted to show up to watch the launch...they were all disappointed.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

2. The Following User Groans At Hawkeye10 For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (08-29-2022)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

McRocket (09-03-2022), TOP (08-29-2022)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,628 Times in 21,489 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post

The problem with the Americans trying to go back to the Moon is that NASA is nowhere near what it used to be.

100,000 had been predicted to show up to watch the launch...they were all disappointed.
    They scrubbed one launch window. Do you know how many Apollo launch windows were scrubbed? NASA is much better than it was back then.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-29-2022), LurchAddams (08-29-2022), Phantasmal (08-29-2022), Walt (09-01-2022)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    They scrubbed one launch window. Do you know how many Apollo launch windows were scrubbed? NASA is much better than it was back then.
    This was a cluster fuck......and it may well be many months before they try again.....they have no idea what the problem is.

If you think NASA is better than it was in the 60's then you are a moron.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

7. The Following User Groans At Hawkeye10 For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (08-29-2022)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Celticguy (08-29-2022)

9. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

As of Wednesday night, there were over 4,000 registered private watch parties — including events slated to take place in family homes, classrooms, schools and universities. And there were nearly 2,500 registered public watch parties slated to kick off at museums, NASA Visitor Centers, planetariums, and more, according to Patricia Moore, an Artemis outreach strategist.
    NASA and others within the US government are hoping the event and the hype surrounding it will inspire a new generation of aerospace aficionados.
    "The Artemis mission's goal of putting the first woman and the first person of color on the Moon represents a once-in-a-generation chance to inspire our young people to see themselves in space and in science, technology, engineering, and math learning," said Cindy Marten, US Department of Education Deputy Secretary, in a statement. "We're going to need the full spectrum of skill sets to meet the needs and challenges of the future—from physicists to welders. There is room for everyone in space."
    https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/n...scn/index.html

All disappointed. Going forwards folks should remember that this is the 2022 version of NASA.....really big on WOKE ideology....core competence in the technology not so much.

10. The Following User Groans At Hawkeye10 For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (08-29-2022)

11. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This was a cluster fuck......and it may well be many months before they try again.....they have no idea what the problem is.

If you think NASA is better than it was in the 60's then you are a moron.
    You are uninformed about history if you think this is not exactly how Apollo worked. Its the nature of cutting edge space flight.

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-29-2022), LurchAddams (08-29-2022)

13. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The Chinese are laughing at us.

14. The Following User Groans At Hawkeye10 For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (08-29-2022)

15. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You are uninformed about history if you think this is not exactly how Apollo worked. Its the nature of cutting edge space flight.
    We are trying to do again what we did in the 60's, and are failing at it....this is the opposite of cutting edge space flight as you should know...likely do know....but you are a liar.

16. The Following User Groans At Hawkeye10 For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (08-29-2022)

17. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

We could always give up and cancel the program....we are good at that now.....failing.

18. The Following User Groans At Hawkeye10 For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (08-29-2022)

19. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"We cant make it work" or "With the way we do things this is going to cost way the fuck too much" so cancel the program is now damn we near the norm with military gear.

We have done it before with NASA too, maybe we will do it here.

20. The Following User Groans At Hawkeye10 For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (08-29-2022)

21. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Its worth noting that NASA's long term partner Boeings Starliner program is a cluster fuck. It is starting to get iffy that they will ever launch an astronaut as the the Space Station is not likely to last long.

What a waste that was.....very little of what was intended with it got accomplished.

22. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

And if it goes off as planned next week or the week after are you going to again peddle the cynicism?

Tell the truth, you don't really like NASA because they fully support the reality of man made climate change

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-29-2022), LurchAddams (08-29-2022), Phantasmal (08-29-2022)

24. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    And if it goes off as planned next week or the week after are you going to again peddle the cynicism?

Tell the truth, you don't really like NASA because they fully support the reality of man made climate change
    I dont like NASA because they do shit quality work most of the time now.....they are a premier symbol of Americas decline.

With all of the leaks this rocket has had I half expect it to blow up in the launchpad, which would likely kill the program.

There was never not much enthusiasm for it to start with.

25. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

We are trying to do again what we did in the 60's, and are failing at it....this is the opposite of cutting edge space flight as you should know...likely do know....but you are a liar.
    Because they postponed one launch? Silly.

LOCK HIM UP!

26. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That no one started a thread on this cluster fuck before I did indicates lack of interest.

And maybe lack of confidence in NASA..."Oh NASA is failing again? Situation normal...no news here!".

27. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Because they postponed one launch? Silly.
    The fact that they did not launch today has nothing to do with the fact that what they are trying to do is old hat, that it should not be a problem.

You have either failed to comprehend or else you are slinging the BullShit.