Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football season is almost here!

1. #121 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    The NIL is not the school paying the player. It is sponsors looking to use the likeness of the athlete for their advertising.
    You're right. Some car dealership who has a N.I.L. deal with a player isn't going to be able to tell the school this kid shouldn't have to go to class. It doesn't work that way.

Now some schools have booster started N.I.L's I believe but these are the same boosters who have been huge donors in the past the schools. They're not going to now say kids shouldn't go to class if they haven't already done so in the past.

2. #122 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    The NIL is not the school paying the player. It is sponsors looking to use the likeness of the athlete for their advertising.
    You can't possibly be that naïve? "for advertising?" You really think it is "for advertising?"

But you did hit upon the point, when does the school, under pressure to win, get dictated to by the sponsors forking over the big bucks? Do you actually think that Sabin is going to tell some sponsor who shelled out six figures "for advertising" that the star kid they bought "for advertising" ain't playing in the game against say Georgia because he was didn't attend class? Better yet, that the school is going to tell Sabin the kid can't play?

3. #123 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    USC is lagging behind in the N.I.L game. As far as all the transfers, I thought you followed the game? Dude, it's freaking USC. Tons of kids wanted to come here but wanted no part of Clay Helton. You bring in a coach like Riley and bam, you see what happens.

We won't take near the number of transfers in the future. This was necessary because of the lack of talent left behind due to Helton. Once the roster is rebuilt, and Riley starts bringing in top high school talent, we'll use the portal far less.
    So those twenty six transfers, most star athletes from other teams, some questionable in their "recruitment," doesn't raise any flags? Riley obviously had the capital, NIL sponsors, to attract the players with more enticing offers (https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...ch/9121150002/)

As I said it always was about bucks, but now more than ever, and the bridge will eventually be crossed where the school sells itself out for the profits of pro sports, one would think USC stood for something more, but if has as many alumni willingly looking the other way as seemingly yourself, I don't know

4. #124 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    So those twenty six transfers, most star athletes from other teams, some questionable in their "recruitment," doesn't raise any flags? Riley obviously had the capital, NIL sponsors, to attract the players with more enticing offers (https://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...ch/9121150002/)

As I said it always was about bucks, but now more than ever, and the bridge will eventually be crossed where the school sells itself out for the profits of pro sports, one would think USC stood for something more, but if has as many alumni willingly looking the other way as seemingly yourself, I don't know
    This is the new era of player empowerment where schools don't have total control over the kids. I mean, it's very progressive. Interesting to see you have such an old school conservative attitude towards this.

I explained to you why we got so many transfers. Kids want to play for USC, Lincoln Riley is one of the best coaches in the game and because we sucked so bad there is playing time to be had. It's that simple. We won't see transfer numbers like this going forward.

As far as uber stars like Caleb Williams they will have big numbers thrown their way. Ultimately they will have to decide does money win out or their own development. Williams already played for Riley. It's not hard to see why he would choose us.

So you think USC shouldn't compete in the transfer portal because we stand for something more? If that's the case should we just go the Ivy League route and make it a club sport?

5. #125 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This is the new era of player empowerment where schools don't have total control over the kids. I mean, it's very progressive. Interesting to see you have such an old school conservative attitude towards this.

I explained to you why we got so many transfers. Kids want to play for USC, Lincoln Riley is one of the best coaches in the game and because we sucked so bad there is playing time to be had. It's that simple. We won't see transfer numbers like this going forward.

As far as uber stars like Caleb Williams they will have big numbers thrown their way. Ultimately they will have to decide does money win out or their own development. Williams already played for Riley. It's not hard to see why he would choose us.

So you think USC shouldn't compete in the transfer portal because we stand for something more? If that's the case should we just go the Ivy League route and make it a club sport?
    Going forward, some schools, those chasing the money, will have zero control over athletes, players will become employees of outside sponsors just wearing the schools’ colors. I don’t see it as left or right, just pointing out the end of college athletics, as I said, now pro sports, all the peripheral events and traditions associated with college football will slowly fade. Going to get tough getting exited about a USC team looking like NASCAR cars and drivers

Yeah, yeah, yeah, just coincidentally twenty six accomplished players decides to suddenly transfer to USC cause Riley is a good coach, like good coaches are a rarity. You ain’t that naive cawacko

I ain’t calling out any school, just using USC as an example cause it is relevant to you, actually was addressing “winterborn’s” gullibility. But with six figure NIL deals floating around they aren’t the only one, as I said, it is an arms race, an arms race with zero rules or regulations, anything goes

By the way, Ivy League football is pretty good, games are entertaining, not saying everyone should go that route, actually can’t, but there is a middle ground. NIL was done too quickly without rules, and complicated by the transfer portal, now everything is allowed. And as I mentioned above, wait till basketball, even easier to buy six or seven players, in time even the NCAA Tournament will disappear.

6. #126 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Going forward, some schools, those chasing the money, will have zero control over athletes, players will become employees of outside sponsors just wearing the schools’ colors. I don’t see it as left or right, just pointing out the end of college athletics, as I said, now pro sports, all the peripheral events and traditions associated with college football will slowly fade. Going to get tough getting exited about a USC team looking like NASCAR cars and drivers

Yeah, yeah, yeah, just coincidentally twenty six accomplished players decides to suddenly transfer to USC cause Riley is a good coach, like good coaches are a rarity. You ain’t that naive cawacko

I ain’t calling out any school, just using USC as an example cause it is relevant to you, actually was addressing “winterborn’s” gullibility. But with six figure NIL deals floating around they aren’t the only one, as I said, it is an arms race, an arms race with zero rules or regulations, anything goes

By the way, Ivy League football is pretty good, games are entertaining, not saying everyone should go that route, actually can’t, but there is a middle ground. NIL was done too quickly without rules, and complicated by the transfer portal, now everything is allowed. And as I mentioned above, wait till basketball, even easier to buy six or seven players, in time even the NCAA Tournament will disappear.
    I'm not a fan of the unlimited transfer portal. I don't like it. But it's part of the game now. As far as N.I.L. I was always for players getting larger stipends. N.I.L. is in its Wild West phase right now, we'll see where it ends up.

The funny thing about what you say is if you read our board all people complain about is how we don't have a proper N.I.L. program in place and are losing recruits as a result (we're getting outbid). You used to say we couldn't compete because we were a private school and didn't have money. Now all of a sudden we have so much money we can 'buy' all these players? Which is it?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

WinterBorn (09-30-2022)

8. #127 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm not a fan of the unlimited transfer portal. I don't like it. But it's part of the game now. As far as N.I.L. I was always for players getting larger stipends. N.I.L. is in its Wild West phase right now, we'll see where it ends up.

The funny thing about what you say is if you read our board all people complain about is how we don't have a proper N.I.L. program in place and are losing recruits as a result (we're getting outbid). You used to say we couldn't compete because we were a private school and didn't have money. Now all of a sudden we have so much money we can 'buy' all these players? Which is it?
    No, what I said was that USC wouldn’t spend the money being a private school with an academic reputation, they weren’t going to compete with the Alabamas on Alabama terms. Appears I was wrong, however, down the road, they will have to decide if they want to cross the next bridge.

And what you are missing is that the traditions and competition that surrounded college football, Saturday afternoon, will slowly fade, USC dumping all their tradition west coast rivals to fly off to play Rutgers is an example. Eventually I can even see the NFL stepping in and taking the Saturday time slots, with the money involved, and the amateur athletics culture gone, their too smart to not to directly compete. As I said, one day the USC players will come dressed like NASCAR drivers and cars

9. #128 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,753 Times in 33,623 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jayhawks over the Cyclones tomorrow, Rock Chalk!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

WinterBorn (09-30-2022)

11. #129 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No, what I said was that USC wouldn’t spend the money being a private school with an academic reputation, they weren’t going to compete with the Alabamas on Alabama terms. Appears I was wrong, however, down the road, they will have to decide if they want to cross the next bridge.

And what you are missing is that the traditions and competition that surrounded college football, Saturday afternoon, will slowly fade, USC dumping all their tradition west coast rivals to fly off to play Rutgers is an example. Eventually I can even see the NFL stepping in and taking the Saturday time slots, with the money involved, and the amateur athletics culture gone, their too smart to not to directly compete. As I said, one day the USC players will come dressed like NASCAR drivers and cars
    I'm not sure what you mean by compete with Alabama on Alabama's terms. You mean like get a really good coach and have players want to come to your school? Applications to USC increased during the Pete Carroll years. Having a good/great football team is part of the USC experience and is a huge connector for alumni. US News & World Report has us as the #25 school in the country. On one that hand that is elite but at the same time we're not in the same realm as the top schools and likely never will be as long as we continue to take as many students as we do. But the football program is a major part of the University and something many alumni care about deeply.

I told you all along what would happen. Go back and read our previous conversations over the past couple of years. I continually listened to say you say wouldn't be good again anymore etc. etc. etc. Now here we are (not ready to compete with Alabama or Georgia yet, but on our way).

Yes college football is changing. I don't like it but it's reality so either you play (like we did leaving the horribly run PAC 12) or you get left behind. We're playing and we'll be winning (at least I hope).

12. #130 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm not sure what you mean by compete with Alabama on Alabama's terms. You mean like get a really good coach and have players want to come to your school? Applications to USC increased during the Pete Carroll years. Having a good/great football team is part of the USC experience and is a huge connector for alumni. US News & World Report has us as the #25 school in the country. On one that hand that is elite but at the same time we're not in the same realm as the top schools and likely never will be as long as we continue to take as many students as we do. But the football program is a major part of the University and something many alumni care about deeply.

I told you all along what would happen. Go back and read our previous conversations over the past couple of years. I continually listened to say you say wouldn't be good again anymore etc. etc. etc. Now here we are (not ready to compete with Alabama or Georgia yet, but on our way).

Yes college football is changing. I don't like it but it's reality so either you play (like we did leaving the horribly run PAC 12) or you get left behind. We're playing and we'll be winning (at least I hope).
    I really have to explain "competing with Alabama on Alabama's terms?" You are starting to sound like the other poster, "winterborn," who actually believes Alabama has always played above board and all the football players graduate with honors, plus, he has never seen one Alabama football player driving a Mercedes as they are famous for owing. Then again, he is an alumni

I explained why they are miraculously good in one year, don't be surprised if others the next couple of years, several who never even were identified with college football, are suddenly miraculously good, and it won't be because they have a good coach. USC is going to have to keep up with the arms race, scooters ain't going beat Beamers.

If being "left behind" is the motivator, and not the integrity of the school, "winning" isn't the foundation the school was founded upon

And to return to my intial point, with NIL coupled with the transfer portal, kids even have agents now, college football isn't the football alumni like to think that it is, all the college college banner it used to be is is being replaced with the ethics of professional sports. To boast innocently my team is better than yours or one of the best is irrelevant, all comes down to who can attract the better players with more lucrative offerings, who can buy the best team. You will see it first in college basketball

13. #131 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I really have to explain "competing with Alabama on Alabama's terms?" You are starting to sound like the other poster, "winterborn," who actually believes Alabama has always played above board and all the football players graduate with honors, plus, he has never seen one Alabama football player driving a Mercedes as they are famous for owing. Then again, he is an alumni

I explained why they are miraculously good in one year, don't be surprised if others the next couple of years, several who never even were identified with college football, are suddenly miraculously good, and it won't be because they have a good coach. USC is going to have to keep up with the arms race, scooters ain't going beat Beamers.

If being "left behind" is the motivator, and not the integrity of the school, "winning" isn't the foundation the school was founded upon

And to return to my intial point, with NIL coupled with the transfer portal, kids even have agents now, college football isn't the football alumni like to think that it is, all the college college banner it used to be is is being replaced with the ethics of professional sports. To boast innocently my team is better than yours or one of the best is irrelevant, all comes down to who can attract the better players with more lucrative offerings, who can buy the best team. You will see it first in college basketball
    I'm beginning to think you have some UCLA blood in your family, haha. Hey, people have always hated USC whether its because of our success or perceived arrogance. I'm not saying this in a dick*sh tone rather just conversational but you are a hater. You're acting like we aren't one of the blue bloods of the sport and USC having success is something out of the blue. None of us are spring chicken, you've lived long enough to see a lot of our success. Yet you act shocked that kids want to play in the heart of LA.

It sucked being irrelevant under Helton. It's great being back in the national discussion and having haters come out of hibernation.

14. #132 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Here's a different perspective. Not that I give a lot of weight to Jalen Rose's words but here's what he said. In sports like baseball, tennis, golf and others people can go pro out of high school. What are the two sports you can't? Football and basketball, sports with majority black players. His argument is its racist and a vestige of slavery and these mostly black athletes are being used to perpetuate the money making of the system without any reward. If you buy that argument then N.I.L. at least compensates to a degree these kids.

You're a more progressive guy politically, you buying his argument?

15. #133 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm beginning to think you have some UCLA blood in your family, haha. Hey, people have always hated USC whether its because of our success or perceived arrogance. I'm not saying this in a dick*sh tone rather just conversational but you are a hater. You're acting like we aren't one of the blue bloods of the sport and USC having success is something out of the blue. None of us are spring chicken, you've lived long enough to see a lot of our success. Yet you act shocked that kids want to play in the heart of LA.

It sucked being irrelevant under Helton. It's great being back in the national discussion and having haters come out of hibernation.
    Hardly, never lived on the west coast, consequently don’t feel anything for West Coast teams. I am an East Coast native, where we enjoy four seasons, and it’s tough to get interested in teams that don’t play here till ten at night, which is one, just one, of he reasons USC/UCLA fled to the Big Ten. The only USC game I can remember routinely watching is the ND game, even attended one in South Bend

Never said USC didn’t have a herald football program in the past, my only point was that I believe USC, largely due to the school’s reputation, didn’t travel the road to success that say Alabama did, but now, they may have crossed that bridge. That, and that college football is on the threshold of moving in a direction which is the exact antithesis of what people, alumni, like to think it still is today

16. #134 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Here's a different perspective. Not that I give a lot of weight to Jalen Rose's words but here's what he said. In sports like baseball, tennis, golf and others people can go pro out of high school. What are the two sports you can't? Football and basketball, sports with majority black players. His argument is its racist and a vestige of slavery and these mostly black athletes are being used to perpetuate the money making of the system without any reward. If you buy that argument then N.I.L. at least compensates to a degree these kids.

You're a more progressive guy politically, you buying his argument?
    Well, he is correct, especially considering a lot of those athletes don’t even leave college with a degree, and the same argument could apply to most college athletes. However, that has little to do with my point here, I am raising the reality that eventually the colleges, whose goal is to educate, are going to lose total control over athletics in their schools, as I’ve said, the NIL donors will call the shots, and the soul of what most of us know as college football will soon disappear

And to return to the black athlete, knowing if I don’t you’ll say I deflected off of the argument, NIL is not the answer to the problem. Personally, I think the players should unionize as the NorthWestern team tried a few years ago, but then, I would also love to see the return to one platoon football, which would also cut down on head injuries, and we know that ain’t happening

17. #135 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

I’m not sure USC would do to well in the Ivy League. The players there have to be able to sign their name. ;-)
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!