Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football season is almost here!

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    NIL has only been active one month, you got to give it year or two before all the outright abuses appear, in the meantime, use common sense, you really think some alumni group forking over millions is going to easily accept the fact some kid they paid is off the team cause he failed all his classes? It is not the usual “pressure from alumni,” especially when those alumni have paid so much to attain success

And I don’t understand how you eagerly accept paying players now as copacetic, the winning strategy, cause it is “above board” when previously you claimed it wasn’t a common practice when I argued it was the reason only a handful of schools, not including USC, could ever win a national championship
    I came across a name from the past earlier this week, Markeith Ambles. He was a five star receiver from Georgia that signed with USC in 2010. Like any five star, especially one from across the country, it was a huge deal when we signed him. Long story short he was having problems and showing up late or even missing some team functions early and got suspended. They chalked it up to homesickness etc. and he supposedly got his sh*t together and was back on the team. He then was then declared academically ineligible and left school. He ended going to JC and then to Houston and is now still playing in the CFL.

2010 is a year after Pete Carroll left. We had huge expectations of winning so if your theory was correct no way we would declare a stud five star receiver academically ineligible. Now granted this kid never made the NFL but the fact that he's still playing professionally shows the talent he has.

I would still love to hear examples of kid's being told they don't have to go to class if you have any.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (09-25-2022), WinterBorn (09-24-2022)

3. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Boy did OSU open some eyes last night. Of course they will be heavily criticized for their scrubs giving up two meaningless touchdowns while nothing will be said about the mighty Golden Flashes hanging 22 points on UGA.

OSU’s offense appears to be the best in the country. They were certainly hitting on all cylinders last night. The offensive line was just blowing the Badgers off the line of scrimmage. C.J. Stroud had all day to throw (62% on passes, 5 TD’s), Both The first and second string RB’s had 100 yard games and the third string RB is looking as good as the 1st and 2nd string RB’s.

More importantly the team chemistry was there.

I’d have to say after last night C.J. Stroud is the front runner for the Heisman.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

TOP (09-25-2022)

5. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Boy did OSU open some eyes last night. Of course they will be heavily criticized for their scrubs giving up two meaningless touchdowns while nothing will be said about the mighty Golden Flashes hanging 22 points on UGA.

OSU’s offense appears to be the best in the country. They were certainly hitting on all cylinders last night. The offensive line was just blowing the Badgers off the line of scrimmage. C.J. Stroud had all day to throw (62% on passes, 5 TD’s), Both The first and second string RB’s had 100 yard games and the third string RB is looking as good as the 1st and 2nd string RB’s.

More importantly the team chemistry was there.

I’d have to say after last night C.J. Stroud is the front runner for the Heisman.
    So far I think Stroud is the best candidate for the Heisman.

Georgia looked vulnerable against the mighty Kent State.

I liked what I saw from Bama against Vandy.

6. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,243 Times in 13,968 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I came across a name from the past earlier this week, Markeith Ambles. He was a five star receiver from Georgia that signed with USC in 2010. Like any five star, especially one from across the country, it was a huge deal when we signed him. Long story short he was having problems and showing up late or even missing some team functions early and got suspended. They chalked it up to homesickness etc. and he supposedly got his sh*t together and was back on the team. He then was then declared academically ineligible and left school. He ended going to JC and then to Houston and is now still playing in the CFL.

2010 is a year after Pete Carroll left. We had huge expectations of winning so if your theory was correct no way we would declare a stud five star receiver academically ineligible. Now granted this kid never made the NFL but the fact that he's still playing professionally shows the talent he has.

I would still love to hear examples of kid's being told they don't have to go to class if you have any.
    You never will, do you think anyone is going to admit publicly that they told a kid he didn’t have to attend class?

And as I said, down the road, the NIL management will dictate to the school, and if that means overlooking academics, the big money schools will gladly

7. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post

Yeah, tough beating a school who focuses on academics over athletics, majority of Sabin’s players wouldn’t even be admitted scholastically to Vanderbilt

When the SEC annexes FSU, Carolina, and Clemson, Vanderbilt will be dropped from the League

8. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

I didn’t get to see any of the Bama game but given the score I’m sure you did. Having said that and given Vanderbilt currently has a better record than Wisconsin and it’s entirely possible Vanderbilt will finish the season with a better Record than Vandy. But we both know that probably won’t happen.

Wisconsin has a serious reputation for having big bad lineman on both sides of the ball. Well they do this year too and a formidable running back. Last night OSU was just manhandling Wisconsin’s DL…which are huge. I’ve seen OSU hang some points on the Cheese Heads but not like this. I mean we didn’t just control the line of scrimmage against the Cheeseheads we were blowing them off it. They did the same thing in the second half of the ND game. It wasn’t just a talent gap either (though obviously there is) the Bucks were just executing in a very fluid manner. We shall find out how really good they are as the season progresses but I’d say our odds of landing a spot in the CFP are good.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

WinterBorn (09-26-2022)

10. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yeah, tough beating a school who focuses on academics over athletics, majority of Sabin’s players wouldn’t even be admitted scholastically to Vanderbilt

When the SEC annexes FSU, Carolina, and Clemson, Vanderbilt will be dropped from the League
    Vanderbilt is an excellent school. And yes, their admission standards are high. Yet they play football and field a decent team every year. No, they won't win the SEC. But they compete.

And no, they will not be dropped from the league.

11. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You never will, do you think anyone is going to admit publicly that they told a kid he didn’t have to attend class?

And as I said, down the road, the NIL management will dictate to the school, and if that means overlooking academics, the big money schools will gladly
    I'm so fascinated, this is like Trump level conspiracy stuff. In your futuristic vision here, because nothing stays silent in these days of social media, are these schools and NIL groups going to just flat out announce publicly to kids that they no longer have to go to class? Or are they going to try and do it low key (which of course won't stay low key but nonetheless...)

Edit: I guess I left out will these kids even have to qualify to get into school going forward in your vision here?
    Last edited by cawacko; 09-26-2022 at 08:05 AM.

12. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So Archives, for the past several years you have (rightfully) given me sh*t for USC's performance (we deserved it because keeping Clay Helton as our coach showed we were not serious about winning). But you kept harping on the fact that because we are a private school we couldn't win. Here we are four games into Lincoln Riley's tenure and we are already #6 in the nation. You've been awfully quiet my man.

Anyone who follows college football knows USC's history. I told you we were a sleeping giant and getting rid of Helton (and getting the right coach) would turn things around. I have no delusions of grandeur that we'll win the national title this year because we won't. We're not ready to compete with Georgia, Alabama or Ohio St just yet. But in a year or two? Yes.

You kept saying it was a money thing (that we lacked it). Look what we gave Riley. Now our N.I.L. game is supposedly lagging but nonetheless you saw how many kids transferred in to play for Riley. I told you this time would come.

And here's USC doing work in the community. We've always had a lot of love from folks in South Central.

13. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Vanderbilt is an excellent school. And yes, their admission standards are high. Yet they play football and field a decent team every year. No, they won't win the SEC. But they compete.

And no, they will not be dropped from the league.
    Sure they will, money is too big, they’ll dump the private schools who favor academics, which colleges are suppose to do, for those promising a bigger profit, ACC will do the same with the Florida State, Carolina, and Clemson schools exiting for the SEC

14. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm so fascinated, this is like Trump level conspiracy stuff. In your futuristic vision here, because nothing stays silent in these days of social media, are these schools and NIL groups going to just flat out announce publicly to kids that they no longer have to go to class? Or are they going to try and do it low key (which of course won't stay low key but nonetheless...)

Edit: I guess I left out will these kids even have to qualify to get into school going forward in your vision here?
    As I said, no one is ever going to publicly admit the star player was told not to attend class, however, when the million dollar athlete blows off school do you think the school, who is in it for the money, is going to inform the NIL sponsor(s) that the kid they bought ain’t playing in the big game cause he didn’t qualify academically? On paper, for public consumption, every kid will always be qualified, but the school will someday have to face the reality, are they a college or the sponsor of a pro sports team

Forget the qualifying to get into school, any athlete with potential the coach wants and NIL group agrees will get into school, there will be no rules and regulations, anywhere, coupled with the open transfer rules, it is now an arms race

And if college football is threatened, think of basketball, where you only need six or seven players to dominate, and, a kid now can be academically unqualified but still last a full year without repercussions before heading to the NBA, the SEC schools, led by Kentucky, are going to have a filed day here

15. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So Archives, for the past several years you have (rightfully) given me sh*t for USC's performance (we deserved it because keeping Clay Helton as our coach showed we were not serious about winning). But you kept harping on the fact that because we are a private school we couldn't win. Here we are four games into Lincoln Riley's tenure and we are already #6 in the nation. You've been awfully quiet my man.

Anyone who follows college football knows USC's history. I told you we were a sleeping giant and getting rid of Helton (and getting the right coach) would turn things around. I have no delusions of grandeur that we'll win the national title this year because we won't. We're not ready to compete with Georgia, Alabama or Ohio St just yet. But in a year or two? Yes.

You kept saying it was a money thing (that we lacked it). Look what we gave Riley. Now our N.I.L. game is supposedly lagging but nonetheless you saw how many kids transferred in to play for Riley. I told you this time would come.

And here's USC doing work in the community. We've always had a lot of love from folks in South Central.

]
    That’s easy to explain, the school paid the bucks to get Riley, and since, Riley, NIL sponsee, have opened up the purse to get athletes, didn’t a record number twenty six or so accomplished players transfer to USC? Accusations are Riley even enticed a few before the actual transfer portal officially opened, and the school has earned the nickname “carpetbagger U”

But as I said, at some point, being an academically recognized private school, USC will eventually face the question if they are an academic institution or a sponsor of pro sports. Are they willing to go to the lengths the Ohio States are willing to go

And nothing personal, but forget the heartwarming videos, every school has something similar

16. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That’s easy to explain, the school paid the bucks to get Riley, and since, Riley, NIL sponsee, have opened up the purse to get athletes, didn’t a record number twenty six or so accomplished players transfer to USC? Accusations are Riley even enticed a few before the actual transfer portal officially opened, and the school has earned the nickname “carpetbagger U”

But as I said, at some point, being an academically recognized private school, USC will eventually face the question if they are an academic institution or a sponsor of pro sports. Are they willing to go to the lengths the Ohio States are willing to go

And nothing personal, but forget the heartwarming videos, every school has something similar

The NIL is not the school paying the player. It is sponsors looking to use the likeness of the athlete for their advertising.

17. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

As I said, no one is ever going to publicly admit the star player was told not to attend class, however, when the million dollar athlete blows off school do you think the school, who is in it for the money, is going to inform the NIL sponsor(s) that the kid they bought ain’t playing in the big game cause he didn’t qualify academically? On paper, for public consumption, every kid will always be qualified, but the school will someday have to face the reality, are they a college or the sponsor of a pro sports team

Forget the qualifying to get into school, any athlete with potential the coach wants and NIL group agrees will get into school, there will be no rules and regulations, anywhere, coupled with the open transfer rules, it is now an arms race

And if college football is threatened, think of basketball, where you only need six or seven players to dominate, and, a kid now can be academically unqualified but still last a full year without repercussions before heading to the NBA, the SEC schools, led by Kentucky, are going to have a filed day here
    This is all projection because it's not going on now (to how you are describing it). Because the future hasn't happened I can't definitely say you are 100% wrong but it's not happening now and I don't think you will be right at all.

18. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

USC is lagging behind in the N.I.L game. As far as all the transfers, I thought you followed the game? Dude, it's freaking USC. Tons of kids wanted to come here but wanted no part of Clay Helton. You bring in a coach like Riley and bam, you see what happens.

We won't take near the number of transfers in the future. This was necessary because of the lack of talent left behind due to Helton. Once the roster is rebuilt, and Riley starts bringing in top high school talent, we'll use the portal far less.