Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football season is almost here!

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,245 Times in 13,970 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I’m not sure USC would do to well in the Ivy League. The players there have to be able to sign their name. ;-)
    Whoa, that ain’t going go over well, surely said in jest.

USC has a good academic reputation, it’s not Stanford, but neither is UCLA, which seems to be the benchmark for USC alumni

2. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

LurchAddams (10-09-2022)

3. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Hardly, never lived on the west coast, consequently don’t feel anything for West Coast teams. I am an East Coast native, where we enjoy four seasons, and it’s tough to get interested in teams that don’t play here till ten at night, which is one, just one, of he reasons USC/UCLA fled to the Big Ten. The only USC game I can remember routinely watching is the ND game, even attended one in South Bend

Never said USC didn’t have a herald football program in the past, my only point was that I believe USC, largely due to the school’s reputation, didn’t travel the road to success that say Alabama did, but now, they may have crossed that bridge. That, and that college football is on the threshold of moving in a direction which is the exact antithesis of what people, alumni, like to think it still is today
    If you can show me what we’re doing that Alabama does that you feel is so wrong or illegal I’ll listen. Otherwise we’ve hired a great coach, are a world class university in the heart of Hollywood and the second largest city in the country and are a blue blood who sends tons of kids to the NFL.

I see you defending big cities when others rip on them. You of all people should understand the national appeal of USC

4. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,077 Times in 7,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

I'm not a college football fan by any stretch of imagination, but I like the idea of private schools like USC and Notre Dame
    being competitive with huge state universities where the fucking football coach is the highest paid state employee by far,
    whether or not education is being properly funded.

I just wish it were Harvard, Dartmouth, Brown, and Yale instead of USC and Notre Dame.
    But it isn't.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

5. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I’m not sure USC would do to well in the Ivy League. The players there have to be able to sign their name. ;-)
    Haha, that’s what they pay me the big bucks for Mott! We got this handled.

6. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    If you can show me what we’re doing that Alabama does that you feel is so wrong or illegal I’ll listen. Otherwise we’ve hired a great coach, are a world class university in the heart of Hollywood and the second largest city in the country and are a blue blood who sends tons of kids to the NFL.

I see you defending big cities when others rip on them. You of all people should understand the national appeal of USC
    That seems to always appear as the common denominator of any defense regarding questions on the ethics of college sports, as well as many political arguments, “is it illegal?” Always thought amateurism implied equal competition on the field, not who paid the most to put the best on the field, that was always pro sports. And USC hasn’t earned the nickname “carpetbagger U” for nothing

Nothing personal, but your stretching the “national appeal” angle. For most, I believe it is recognized as a good school on the West Coast, and that is about it, not to sound redundant, but I think most would think Stanford when recalling a national appeal school out west. And, again, not criticizing, but I don’t view LA as an icon American city, more like an extending suburb, just doesn’t have the urban core that gives it character. San Francisco he’s, LA, no

And I think we have reached the end of this exchange, you ain’t buying it, and only time will credit my opinion. Just remember you heard it here first when the USC Trojans run on the field looking like NASCAR drivers, walking billboards, and attaining an actual earned undergraduate degree is an after thought

7. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

LurchAddams (10-09-2022)

8. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That seems to always appear as the common denominator of any defense regarding questions on the ethics of college sports, as well as many political arguments, “is it illegal?” Always thought amateurism implied equal competition on the field, not who paid the most to put the best on the field, that was always pro sports. And USC hasn’t earned the nickname “carpetbagger U” for nothing

Nothing personal, but your stretching the “national appeal” angle. For most, I believe it is recognized as a good school on the West Coast, and that is about it, not to sound redundant, but I think most would think Stanford when recalling a national appeal school out west. And, again, not criticizing, but I don’t view LA as an icon American city, more like an extending suburb, just doesn’t have the urban core that gives it character. San Francisco he’s, LA, no

And I think we have reached the end of this exchange, you ain’t buying it, and only time will credit my opinion. Just remember you heard it here first when the USC Trojans run on the field looking like NASCAR drivers, walking billboards, and attaining an actual earned undergraduate degree is an after thought
    Your attitude of almost East Coast superiority is very telling in this sense, I think a lot of people around you share it and that's played a big role in West Coast teams and specifically players not always getting the notoriety and respect they deserve. It is what it is but it's a reality.

Stanford is a world class University but they make almost no exceptions for athletes to gain admittance so they are not a realistic option for most kids. Not every kid is a City kid and that's fine. Some love the small college town environment and there's nothing wrong with that. But L.A. and Hollywood have great appeal to some so that's why kids want to come here.

We get called a lot of names but Carpetbagger U? I've heard no one call us that. We aren't the first to use the portal and certainly won't be the last.

We're 5-0 and #6 in the nation. I think we'll end up losing a couple of games this year and I'll be thrilled if we reach the Rose Bowl. It's rebuilding mode but big things are coming. It's going to be fun.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

WinterBorn (10-02-2022)

10. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And I'm fine with not discussing this further but as you know college football isn't a democracy. It's not like 'we the people' get a vote on whether kids should have unlimited ability to transfer or anything else. We each of course individually have the choice not to attend any games or no longer watch college football. In a sense that is a form of voting. But we really have no say in it. Nor is USC some leader or cause of what's happening. As far as transfers yes we're playing the game but we didn't create those rules. Nor did we lead the changing of conferences. Once the dominoes started falling you either play or get left behind. The PAC 12 conference and former commissioner Larry Scott in particular, the one who really helped run the conference into the ground, sucked at what they were doing and that's why the conference is falling apart unfortunately.

11. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Whoa, that ain’t going go over well, surely said in jest.

USC has a good academic reputation, it’s not Stanford, but neither is UCLA, which seems to be the benchmark for USC alumni
    Naaa Wacko knows I’m trolling him. Shoot one of hero’s growing up was a USC Alum.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

12. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Haha, that’s what they pay me the big bucks for Mott! We got this handled.
    Hey at least people have heard of you school. I haven’t met to many people outside of Ohio that’s ever heard of Wright State and even fewer who have heard of Palmer College. LOL

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

cawacko (10-04-2022)

14. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,194 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hey at least people have heard of you school. I haven’t met to many people outside of Ohio that’s ever heard of Wright State and even fewer who have heard of Palmer College. LOL
    Hey, Mott, always nice of you to drop in…

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (10-03-2022)

16. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I'm not a college football fan by any stretch of imagination, but I like the idea of private schools like USC and Notre Dame
    being competitive with huge state universities where the fucking football coach is the highest paid state employee by far,
    whether or not education is being properly funded.

I just wish it were Harvard, Dartmouth, Brown, and Yale instead of USC and Notre Dame.
    But it isn't.
    They could if they wanted to. The Ivy League Schools have endowments that blow most State Universities out of the water.

17. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Hey, Mott, always nice of you to drop in…
    Thank you. I still keep an eye on JPP. I’m just fed up with dealing with MAGA Treason Weasels and am waiting for them and their in-American neo-fascism to go extinct so it’s possible to have rational conversations with people who understand what it means to be an American.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Phantasmal (10-04-2022)

19. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Your attitude of almost East Coast superiority is very telling in this sense, I think a lot of people around you share it and that's played a big role in West Coast teams and specifically players not always getting the notoriety and respect they deserve. It is what it is but it's a reality.

Stanford is a world class University but they make almost no exceptions for athletes to gain admittance so they are not a realistic option for most kids. Not every kid is a City kid and that's fine. Some love the small college town environment and there's nothing wrong with that. But L.A. and Hollywood have great appeal to some so that's why kids want to come here.

We get called a lot of names but Carpetbagger U? I've heard no one call us that. We aren't the first to use the portal and certainly won't be the last.

We're 5-0 and #6 in the nation. I think we'll end up losing a couple of games this year and I'll be thrilled if we reach the Rose Bowl. It's rebuilding mode but big things are coming. It's going to be fun.
    Couldn’t resist, of course they share it, it is true, as Woody Allen once commented, “I don't want to move to a city where the only cultural advantage is being able to make a right turn on a red light.”

Everyone doesn’t have to be Stanford, and the minority angle is lame, but not being Stanford doesn’t mean schools should accentuate the full professionalization of college athletics just to keep alumni happy

USC as “Carpetbagger U” is what is circulating on social media

20. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Thank you. I still keep an eye on JPP. I’m just fed up with dealing with MAGA Treason Weasels and am waiting for them and their in-American neo-fascism to go extinct so it’s possible to have rational conversations with people who understand what it means to be an American.
    That is why I stay in the Sports Forum. The rest has gone bonkers.

21. The Following User Groans At WinterBorn For This Awful Post:

Mott the Hoople (10-08-2022)

22. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,194 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

I understand that! Take care