Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football season is almost here!

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    It happens at Alabama. Players are benched or removed from the team for breaking Team Rules. Part of that is maintaining academics.
    Right, and if I asked for documentation supporting such you would deliver something the University of Alabama put out, you really can’t be that naive

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Do you have any examples to back this up? Sounds like a lot of projection to me. Cardale Jones (who actually has since graduated) made the infamous tweet a decade ago "we ain't come here to play school". He did it because tOSU was making him go to school.

There has always been pressure to win from alumni. And boosters have given money to kids for a long time. N.I.L. just lets them do it above board now. But if you have examples of schools that don't make their kids go to class I'm open to reading about them.
    NIL has only been active one month, you got to give it year or two before all the outright abuses appear, in the meantime, use common sense, you really think some alumni group forking over millions is going to easily accept the fact some kid they paid is off the team cause he failed all his classes? It is not the usual “pressure from alumni,” especially when those alumni have paid so much to attain success

And I don’t understand how you eagerly accept paying players now as copacetic, the winning strategy, cause it is “above board” when previously you claimed it wasn’t a common practice when I argued it was the reason only a handful of schools, not including USC, could ever win a national championship

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,363 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    NIL has only been active one month, you got to give it year or two before all the outright abuses appear, in the meantime, use common sense, you really think some alumni group forking over millions is going to easily accept the fact some kid they paid is off the team cause he failed all his classes? It is not the usual “pressure from alumni,” especially when those alumni have paid so much to attain success

And I don’t understand how you eagerly accept paying players now as copacetic, the winning strategy, cause it is “above board” when previously you claimed it wasn’t a common practice when I argued it was the reason only a handful of schools, not including USC, could ever win a national championship
    This is all projection. Kids still have to qualify to get into school. And in this day and age where so much info is available it will not stay secret for long if schools are now telling kids they no longer have to go to class. Like I said, if you see reports that kids no longer have to go to class because of the N.I.L. then I'd love to read them.

The N.I.L. is what it is. It's part of the game now. As we all know in college football verbal commitments mean very little but a couple of studs from L.A. have verbally committed to Louisville. On the surface it makes no sense but of course it's N.I.L. driven. When was the last time A&M won a title yet they had the best recruiting class ever. Again, N.I.L. driven. So while of course kids care about winning money will play a huge roll.

As far as 'SC you like that we are #7 in the country? How long have I told you we would be back? Just needed to get rid of Helton and get a real coach. We still have a ways to go to rebuild from the damage Helton did but we're clearly on the path. You see how many national media folks are jumping back on the bandwagon? Don't be afraid, there's room for you too.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (09-21-2022), WinterBorn (09-13-2022)

5. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,775 Times in 7,276 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,061 Times in 1,006 Posts

I think that it's entirely possible for the Patriots and Boston College to combine for twenty-nine losses this year.

I don't expect to watch a single down of football, and this is coming on the heels of a truly horrific Red Sox season.

Come on, Netflix, HBO, and Showtime--get me something decent to watch. Even you're not coming through.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

6. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Right, and if I asked for documentation supporting such you would deliver something the University of Alabama put out, you really can’t be that naive

There is little or no documentation where the student's grades are concerned. When my kids attended UA, I could not get their grades without their signed permission. But you think it should be public record with an athlete?

But the best cornerback on the team did not play last saturday. Why? Because he didn't practice well or hard enough. We could easily have lost the game because Texas was able to pass the ball effectively. But our best defender against the pass was on the bench.

7. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,363 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

You see the kid Jaylen Watson who returned the pick 6 99 yards for a TD with the Chiefs last night? He originally signed a LOI with ‘SC but didn’t qualify academically so he went the JC route.

Since you’ve been arguing about academics do you think today we would let him in (as opposed to not letting him in five years ago) or that they still have to qualify but once they do that they won’t have to go to class? (You’re wrong on both those accounts but I’m curious what you believe nonetheless.)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

leaningright (09-17-2022), WinterBorn (09-16-2022)

9. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 890 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 144 Times in 135 Posts

BLAH!!!

5 of my six fav's lost.

Nevada, BYU, Buffalo (who look terrible this season...sadly), North Texas and SMU.

And the one team that won - Iowa (my absolute fav)...beat Nevada.

BAAAAD week.

Still...this is THE BEST time for sports during the year, for me.

NASCAR, F1, MotoGP, etc. racing are still going (though Indy Cars are done).
    British Soccer is going strong.
    NCAA and NFL started (CFL has been going for a while).
    Baseball is heating up (Go Jays!!!).
    Ice Hockey is around the corner.

So is basketball...but I don't much care about that.
    A freak sport with 55 minutes of back and forth boredom.
    Only the last 5 minutes (which takes 30 minutes to play) is worth watching to me.
    Last edited by McRocket; 09-18-2022 at 01:41 PM.

10. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I think that it's entirely possible for the Patriots and Boston College to combine for twenty-nine losses this year.

I don't expect to watch a single down of football, and this is coming on the heels of a truly horrific Red Sox season.

Come on, Netflix, HBO, and Showtime--get me something decent to watch. Even you're not coming through.
    I don't have any good football to look forward to, either (Notre Dame and Seahawks).

11. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Both Ohio State and Bama have shown they are not unstoppable.

Clemson has some issues.

USC is looking good and the QB is getting some Heisman talk.

But, so far, Georgia looks like the team to beat.

12. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,903 Times in 6,593 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 537 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    Well, in the Southwest: Texas
    In the NW: Oregon
    And sleeper.. I know this is going to come back and bite me, because I'm not even a fan, but WA State has had to overcome so much adversity over the past 2 years.. I think they're due.
    Look at Oregon moving up to #15. They fed BYU their lunch on Saturday! Texas won an easy one. And Washington State destroyed CO State on Saturday! My "sleepers" are awakening
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

13. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Once again we are on the cusp of the college football season!!

Most of the preseason polls have the same top end.

1) Alabama
    2) Ohio State
    3) Georgia
    4) Clemson
    5) Notre Dame

Notre Dame will drop soon, since they play Ohio State in the first game.

Alabama will be better this year. Same top offense, but I am hearing the defense will be a monster.
    Notre Dame sucks, they suck every year.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightbringer For This Post:

WinterBorn (09-20-2022)

15. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    Notre Dame sucks, they suck every year.
    This year is a special kind of sucking.

16. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Both Ohio State and Bama have shown they are not unstoppable.

Clemson has some issues.

USC is looking good and the QB is getting some Heisman talk.

But, so far, Georgia looks like the team to beat.
    Yes well that hasn’t stopped ESPN from bashing OSU and not Bama. OSU power ranking was dropped by ESPN after OSU hung 77 points on Toledo and Toledo is not a bad team. They have a stud QB and and Boone is a big fast nasty guy to tackle. Toledo hasn’t had a losing season in five years and will be a contender for the MAC title again this year.

So of course ESPN dropped OSU 13 points in their power rankings cause their stud QB made a couple of big plays. Excuse me? Hanging a record 77 points against a solid if not great opponent doesn’t matter?
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

17. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Yes well that hasn’t stopped ESPN from bashing OSU and not Bama. OSU power ranking was dropped by ESPN after OSU hung 77 points on Toledo and Toledo is not a bad team. They have a stud QB and and Boone is a big fast nasty guy to tackle. Toledo hasn’t had a losing season in five years and will be a contender for the MAC title again this year.

So of course ESPN dropped OSU 13 points in their power rankings cause their stud QB made a couple of big plays. Excuse me? Hanging a record 77 points against a solid if not great opponent doesn’t matter?
    Is it the Toldeo game or is it because OSU had to come back to beat Notre Dame? When we thought Notre Dame was good, it was a great game to watch. But now, Notre Dame is losing left & right.

18. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Is it the Toldeo game or is it because OSU had to come back to beat Notre Dame? When we thought Notre Dame was good, it was a great game to watch. But now, Notre Dame is losing left & right.
    ND is 1-2 and they did get of to a good start to that game but were utterly dominated by OSU in the second half. The score may not reflect it but OSU’s OL was blowing ND’s DL completely off the line of scrimmage and ND simply could not stop our run game. We shut then out offensively in the second half too.

Personally this stuff of awarding beauty points for running up scores on opponents is silly and just doesn’t appeal to my sense of sportsmanship. But the pollsters do reward you for beauty points so that will continue. It’s also early in the season and neither one of us know who the better team is, Texas or ND. ND does have a tougher schedule on paper than Texas again we won’t know who the better team will be.

We won’t even begin to know for 3-4 more games.

My guess is both teams will have winning seasons but won’t be in the CFP.

As for comparing Alabama and OSU based on their games against ND and UT is just silly. Alabama didn’t play their best game but did what good teams do. They found away to win. OSU got behind ND early and they did a fantastic job of stopping our vaunted passing game but by the second qtr it was obvious they couldn’t stop our run game and in the second half we dominated them with stifling defense and a ball control running game ND couldn’t stop. Our OL was just blowing their DL off the line of scrimmage.

OSU definitely has the talent to go all the way this year if the coaches and players can bring it all together and we stay healthy. Injuries can bring down the best of teams.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

WinterBorn (09-22-2022)