Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: College Football season is almost here!

1. #241 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Now you should understand why Sabin, and several other big name coaches in the SEC, were so against NIL and the transfer portal, now others can do above board what Sabin has been doing out of sight for years.

As I tried to tell you last year, the NIL was the beginning of the end of Alabama dominance, those car dealers in Tuscaloosa can’t compete with the money nor position of the “sponsors” elsewhere, USC proves my point

I won't argue about NIL. But I will call bullshit on your claim that Saban was paying players under the table.

Feel free to post any evidence you have that it happened. Otherwise it will be chalked up to you being bullied by jocks when you were in school.

2. #242 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    hoping Kelly has cobbled together a better team at LSU and that Jimbo has something for Bama.
    I'm so over Saban...
    Fu*k JImbo for fucking up LSUs comeback kid season.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

3. #243 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    I won't argue about NIL. But I will call bullshit on your claim that Saban was paying players under the table.

Feel free to post any evidence you have that it happened. Otherwise it will be chalked up to you being bullied by jocks when you were in school.
    Already have, twice I believe, from the textbook scandal in Sabin’s first year up to former players recently making statements, actually mocking comments, in regard to Sabin denying Alabama ever paid players. No accident Sabin’s prior assistant coach Fisher raised such when Sabin accused him of cheating with NIL

Called “compensation” (https://www.bannersociety.com/2014/4...otball-players), not direct payments, although agents have testified in court they did so for Alabama, rather “benefits,” there is a reason why Alabama players drive Mercedes while
    coincidentally Sabin owns a Mercedes dealership

And please, no AU, or AU alumni publications supposedly showing the opposite

4. #244 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Heard that argument for decades, the premise is correct, minority athletes are used, but the idea NIL as the remedy is mistaken, it is just an argument to justify turning amateur athletics into the G League using “education” as the rationale

You are correct, boosters have always been present, but boosters aren’t sponsors, they never bought players, only a matter of time before companies become sponsors, players uniforms will some day look like NASCAR cars. Unions can happen, and I believe some day will, not just for the money, but also to insure the promised education

Well, I wouldn’t put them up there with the NorthWesterns, Vanderbilts, Boston College, Stanford, Duke, or other handful of schools that compete but don’t center success on the playing field nor appeasing alumni as a top priority
    It's an interesting argument you are making that integrity essentially means not winning. USC has done nothing illegal (the irony of your claims that we are buying players is most know our N.I.L. program/package sucks because the University is afraid of the NCAA) but because we removed our incompetent coach and hired someone who actually knows what they are doing, and kids want to play for the competent coach, that we now lack integrity.

5. #245 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,176 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

I have a question.

During the start of the Game Sunday night, where the players state their name and their college while introducing themselves to the TV audience on both offense and Defense, about 5 or even more Philly players didn't mention a college- but rather their High School.

Just curious if anyone caught this, or know why they did.

My guess is that perhaps they did not graduate, and came out early!

I say that, because if you look on their official Eagle's website Roster, they all did attend college somewhere, according to that!

Another question- Does anyone know why Hurts prefers to claim Oklahoma as his college instead of BAMA where he played for 3 years Vs. the 1 year he spent at Oklahoma? I mean, he played great every year he played college football!

My guess, is that is where he last played!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 11-29-2022 at 04:32 PM.

6. #246 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I have a question.

During the start of the Game Sunday night, where the players state their name and their college while introducing themselves to the TV audience on both offense and Defense, about 5 or even more Philly players didn't mention a college- but rather their High School.

Just curious if anyone caught this, or know why they did.

My guess is that perhaps they did not graduate, and came out early!

I say that, because if you look on their official Eagle's website Roster, they all did attend college somewhere, according to that!

Another question- Does anyone know why Hurts prefers to claim Oklahoma as his college instead of BAMA where he played for 3 years Vs. the 1 year he spent at Oklahoma? I mean, he played great every year he played college football!

My guess, is that is where he last played!
    Players saying their high school has nothing to do with whether they graduated or not, it's strictly a personal choice.

And yes, it does seem weird when someone went to one school for three years and another for only one that they state the latter. But that's just how it's done, they go with the most recent school.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Geeko Sportivo (11-29-2022)

8. #247 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,176 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Players saying their high school has nothing to do with whether they graduated or not, it's strictly a personal choice.

And yes, it does seem weird when someone went to one school for three years and another for only one that they state the latter. But that's just how it's done, they go with the most recent school.
    One thing, I didn't think about is, some of these players may have went to familiar High Schools in the immediate area, and they are proud to let the hometown fans know about it!

9. #248 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

How would TV rankings tank when a USC entry would bring in not only the LA market but the entire west coast who never had a reason to watch previously?

A playoff in college football as basketball enjoys is a near impossibility, it would involve an extra three or four games at a minimum, and only a few teams currently playing have that kind of depth
    Sorry Archive, I’m too lazy to go back and read the thread. I agree that you can’t have a basketball like playoff.

It isn’t necessary either. I think what most people want to see is it is expanded just enough that winning a Big Five conference championship gets an automatic qualifier. Six teams can do that and leave a wild card spot for a worthy Big Five runner up or a qualified mid major.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

10. #249 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's an interesting argument you are making that integrity essentially means not winning. USC has done nothing illegal (the irony of your claims that we are buying players is most know our N.I.L. program/package sucks because the University is afraid of the NCAA) but because we removed our incompetent coach and hired someone who actually knows what they are doing, and kids want to play for the competent coach, that we now lack integrity.
    “Not winning” because, as I’ve said in prior threads, they decided they didn’t want to become one of the half dozen money schools then who felt it important to go semipro, they rather maintain their integrity as an educational institution. Now, as USC has shown, because it is “legal,” a few other schools are anxious to follow the lead regardless of the consequences to the game. Those kids aren’t getting money for their accomplishments, their name, image, likeness, but rather as payment to come to the school.

And it is a “competent coach” with an open check book, willingness to do whatever regardless, and a institution fine with it all. As I said, it won’t be long before the USC on the uniform will be sharing advertising space with the likes of a Disney and such. It won’t just be the Trojans marching down the field, but the BIG Venture sam’s Auto Body Trojans advancing the ball

11. #250 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    One thing, I didn't think about is, some of these players may have went to familiar High Schools in the immediate area, and they are proud to let the hometown fans know about it!
    A few never went to college, or left after one year, rare, but happens, plus, like a Hollywood Henderson, some probably just makes up different answers to different questions they are asked

12. #251 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Sorry Archive, I’m too lazy to go back and read the thread. I agree that you can’t have a basketball like playoff.

It isn’t necessary either. I think what most people want to see is it is expanded just enough that winning a Big Five conference championship gets an automatic qualifier. Six teams can do that and leave a wild card spot for a worthy Big Five runner up or a qualified mid major.
    But with six teams you have to assign byes and play in games, which again gets into depth questions, not many teams have the personnel to last thru multiple games against tough opponents, where money again becomes a factor

13. #252 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

“Not winning” because, as I’ve said in prior threads, they decided they didn’t want to become one of the half dozen money schools then who felt it important to go semipro, they rather maintain their integrity as an educational institution. Now, as USC has shown, because it is “legal,” a few other schools are anxious to follow the lead regardless of the consequences to the game. Those kids aren’t getting money for their accomplishments, their name, image, likeness, but rather as payment to come to the school.

And it is a “competent coach” with an open check book, willingness to do whatever regardless, and a institution fine with it all. As I said, it won’t be long before the USC on the uniform will be sharing advertising space with the likes of a Disney and such. It won’t just be the Trojans marching down the field, but the BIG Venture sam’s Auto Body Trojans advancing the ball
    If by "do whatever" you mean coach better, recruit better etc. then ok. It's the same reason people in other industries make more money, because they are better at their jobs. Should our school, or any school, just accept mediocrity? That we shouldn't try to hire a good coach? I don't agree with your logic that to excel must necessarily mean something negative is occurring to make that happen.

If ads do come to college football jerseys it will be a college football thing, not a USC thing.

14. #253 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

It is truly sad. I spent a few years coming in here to discuss college football almost exclusively.

The regular season is over and the overwhelming majority of the discussion has been with the troll about how evil college football has become.

So little discussion about who is winning, who is losing, outstanding players or lousy coaches.

I am disappointed. Not worth the effort here anymore.

15. #254 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    It is truly sad. I spent a few years coming in here to discuss college football almost exclusively.

The regular season is over and the overwhelming majority of the discussion has been with the troll about how evil college football has become.

So little discussion about who is winning, who is losing, outstanding players or lousy coaches.

I am disappointed. Not worth the effort here anymore.
    In other words you are annoyed that others aren’t buying into your ESPN vision of what college football is today, it is not amateur athletics, least before it pretended it was, but today it is full out semipro, money dictates winning more now than ever

16. #255 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If by "do whatever" you mean coach better, recruit better etc. then ok. It's the same reason people in other industries make more money, because they are better at their jobs. Should our school, or any school, just accept mediocrity? That we shouldn't try to hire a good coach? I don't agree with your logic that to excel must necessarily mean something negative is occurring to make that happen.

If ads do come to college football jerseys it will be a college football thing, not a USC thing.
    Noticeable you left off the “regardless” part, ain’t called “transfer U” for nothing, as I noted, those kids aren’t getting money for their accomplishments, their name, image, likeness, but rather as payment to come to the school.

It will be a money thing, nothing less, more resources for the “competent coach,” in time, the team’s association with the school will be in name only