Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “Everyone's saying no”: Trump hires Florida insurance lawyer as top attorneys refuse

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,544 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default “Everyone's saying no”: Trump hires Florida insurance lawyer as top attorneys refuse

Former President Donald Trump and his team have spent days since the FBI raid on Mar-a-Lago trying to assemble a "team of respected lawyers" but keep getting rejected, according to The Washington Post.

"Everyone is saying no," a prominent Republican lawyer told the outlet.

Jon Sale, a former Watergate prosecutor who is now a prominent Florida defense attorney, told the Post he turned Trump down last week.

"You have to evaluate whether you want to take it," he said. "It's not like a DUI. It's representing the former president of the United States — and maybe the next one — in what's one of the highest-visibility cases ever."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...b1ed27ea760e32
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

christiefan915 (08-19-2022), LurchAddams (08-17-2022), PoliTalker (08-19-2022), Walt (08-19-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,544 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trump's other Florida-based lawyer is Lindsey Halligan, a Florida insurance lawyer that handles residential and commercial claims but has never handled a federal case.

Trump's other attorney in the documents investigation is Alina Habba, who has a small practice near Trump's Bedminster, N.J., golf club. She previously worked as general counsel at a parking garage company. Habba has also represented Trump in his dubious lawsuits against the New York Times, Hillary Clinton, the Democratic National Committee and his niece, Mary Trump.

The New York Times' Maggie Haberman noted that this is Trump's seventh or eighth legal team since he became president.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

4. The Following User Groans At Guno צְבִי For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (08-17-2022)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

christiefan915 (08-19-2022), PoliTalker (08-19-2022)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,896 Times in 6,587 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 537 Times in 514 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Former President Donald Trump and his team have spent days since the FBI raid on Mar-a-Lago trying to assemble a "team of respected lawyers" but keep getting rejected, according to The Washington Post.

Jon Sale, a former Watergate prosecutor who is now a prominent Florida defense attorney, told the Post he turned Trump down last week.

"You have to evaluate whether you want to take it," he said. "It's not like a DUI. It's representing the former president of the United States — and maybe the next one — in what's one of the highest-visibility cases ever."

Tsk, tsk. No one wants their name attached to that traitor. No one with ethics. twump does deserve a defense though... he'll need to find a dershowitz type willing to take a leap of faith he's going to get paid.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-17-2022), PoliTalker (08-19-2022)

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Trump's other Florida-based lawyer is Lindsey Halligan, a Florida insurance lawyer that handles residential and commercial claims but has never handled a federal case.

Trump's other attorney in the documents investigation is Alina Habba, who has a small practice near Trump's Bedminster, N.J., golf club. She previously worked as general counsel at a parking garage company. Habba has also represented Trump in his dubious lawsuits against the New York Times, Hillary Clinton, the Democratic National Committee and his niece, Mary Trump.

The New York Times' Maggie Haberman noted that this is Trump's seventh or eighth legal team since he became president.
    Poor twumpee. Having to scrape the bottom of that barrel.

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-17-2022)

10. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,875 Times in 8,272 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 590 Posts
    Blog Entries

He could have a public defender he won't be going to jail.

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,023 Times in 8,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    He could have a public defender he won't be going to jail.
    A public defender could not do the complex appeals that trump would need, nor could a public defender invest the massive amount of time needed.

It should really worry you that the hundreds of thousands of Republican lawyers are scared to take this case. It is a message of how legally toxic trump is.
    Daniel Patrick Moynihan said it best, "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
    Paul Begala, "Politics is show business for ugly people."
    Stephen Colbert, "Reality has a well known liberal bias."

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

christiefan915 (08-19-2022), Guno צְבִי (08-19-2022), Phantasmal (08-19-2022), PoliTalker (08-19-2022)

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello guno,

Anyone considering representing Trump should talk to Michael Cohen before agreeing to it.

If they can get visitation permission...
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-19-2022)

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello LurchAddams,

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    Tsk, tsk. No one wants their name attached to that traitor. No one with ethics. twump does deserve a defense though... he'll need to find a dershowitz type willing to take a leap of faith he's going to get paid.
    Anyone representing Trump would be wise to insist on payment up front.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-19-2022), LurchAddams (08-19-2022)

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Walt,

QUOTE=Walt;5250714]A public defender could not do the complex appeals that trump would need, nor could a public defender invest the massive amount of time needed.

It should really worry you that the hundreds of thousands of Republican lawyers are scared to take this case. It is a message of how legally toxic trump is.[/QUOTE]

Representing Trump is a good way to not get paid, ruin a career, and end up in prison.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Frank Apisa (08-19-2022), Guno צְבִי (08-19-2022)

19. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello LurchAddams,

Anyone representing Trump would be wise to insist on payment up front.
    Indeed. Some fame-seeker will represent him in return for exclusive book rights, payment or not. Trump will have a defense.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-19-2022)

21. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello LurchAddams,

Indeed. Some fame-seeker will represent him in return for exclusive book rights, payment or not. Trump will have a defense.
    And there is a lot of time for writing while in prison.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

LurchAddams (08-19-2022)

23. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello LurchAddams,

And there is a lot of time for writing while in prison.
    I was actually talking about the "Dershowitz" type who will end up representing trump, writing the book. trump can barely speak in complete sentences, let alone write a book.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

christiefan915 (08-19-2022), Guno צְבִי (08-19-2022), PoliTalker (08-19-2022)

25. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello LurchAddams,

I was actually talking about the "Dershowitz" type who will end up representing trump, writing the book. trump can barely speak in complete sentences, let alone write a book.
    I understand.

My reply was too vague.

I was implying that representing Trump could lead to doing prison time, depending on how deep you get with him. He's going to want people to take the fall for him.

26. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello LurchAddams,

I understand.

My reply was too vague.

I was implying that representing Trump could lead to doing prison time, depending on how deep you get with him. He's going to want people to take the fall for him.
    No. No decent lawyer would get caught colluding with him. Rudy would, but he's been disbarred.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-19-2022)

28. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello LurchAddams,

No. No decent lawyer would get caught colluding with him. Rudy would, but he's been disbarred.
    I would not expect a decent lawyer to take him as a client.

But I guess there are good people who have been taken in by his rhetoric.

It's so hard to be nice to/about people who have been conned into supporting Trump.

What a freaking challenge!

It's like a character test.

It's like the political times are asking:

"Are you up to it?"

"Can you ignore such foolishness and treat people like they have simply made a mistake, that they are really good people who will not receive it well if you deride them for making the mistake that they don't see as a mistake?"

Coming in here is the acid test.

If I can do that in here I am better prepared to do it IRL.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

LurchAddams (08-19-2022)