Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rationing and long lines

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Rationing and long lines

Obamacare meets the reality of nationalized health care: Rationing and long lines
    By: Examiner Editorial
    -
    06/22/09 5:40 AM EDT
    President Obama, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the legions of liberal political activists trying to ramrod nationalized health care through Congress face an insurmountable obstacle in the Internet. There are mountains of data available today regarding the decades of experience with similar systems in Canada, Great Britain and elsewhere, and the facts about that data are within a few mouse clicks of every American. As the debate in Congress and the nation’s public policy forums heats up, key facts gleaned from that abundance of data are becoming ever more prominent.

Take, for example, the report out last week from the Wait Time Alliance (WTA), a group of 13 Canadian medical groups, including the Canadian Medical Association. For cancer patients, the report found that “the median wait time for radiation therapy was almost seven weeks.” That figure exceeded the recommended maximum wait time of one month. Note, too, that as a median figure, there were just as many patients who waited longer than seven weeks as who waited less than seven weeks. The WTA report also found unacceptably long delays for people seeking emergency room treatment, with an average of nine hours for patients who were treated and released. The average for patients who needed to be treated and admitted to the hospital was 24 hours! And patients needing psychiatric care for major depression are being forced to wait up to six weeks before starting treatment, according to the WTA report.

Long waits for critical treatment are inevitable in government-run health care systems for one simple reason: Making health care “free” creates an infinite demand for medical services. But no country can satisfy an infinite demand, so government bureaucrats always end up rationing health care. Long lines of people waiting for services are the result. It’s the same process that produced long waiting lines for decades in the Soviet Union for basic necessities like bread and housing.

Obamacare advocates can only hope their friends in the mainstream media do a better job of carrying their water for them in the weeks ahead than The New York Times and CBS with their latest poll. Using a sample with exactly twice as many Obama voters as McCain voters, the Times/CBS pollsters got a result in which 57 percent of their respondents said they would pay higher taxes “so that all Americans have health insurance that they can’t lose no matter what.” But, as anybody who has taken a basic statistics course knows, a warped sample and an “apples-to-oranges” comparison has zero credibility.

washingtonexaminer.com
    McCain to Obama. "If you don't like our bill, send troops to help us."

Obama, himself attempted to filibuster Justice Alito, who now sits on the Supreme Court.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

They shouldn't even call it insurance, since only a fool would pay to insure something that you know is going to happen, like getting a check-up or coming down with the flu. *shrug*

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,664 Times in 7,361 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,968 Times in 1,784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TuTu Monroe View Post
    Obamacare meets the reality of nationalized health care: Rationing and long lines
    By: Examiner Editorial
    -
    06/22/09 5:40 AM EDT
    President Obama, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the legions of liberal political activists trying to ramrod nationalized health care through Congress face an insurmountable obstacle in the Internet. There are mountains of data available today regarding the decades of experience with similar systems in Canada, Great Britain and elsewhere, and the facts about that data are within a few mouse clicks of every American. As the debate in Congress and the nation’s public policy forums heats up, key facts gleaned from that abundance of data are becoming ever more prominent.

Take, for example, the report out last week from the Wait Time Alliance (WTA), a group of 13 Canadian medical groups, including the Canadian Medical Association. For cancer patients, the report found that “the median wait time for radiation therapy was almost seven weeks.” That figure exceeded the recommended maximum wait time of one month. Note, too, that as a median figure, there were just as many patients who waited longer than seven weeks as who waited less than seven weeks. The WTA report also found unacceptably long delays for people seeking emergency room treatment, with an average of nine hours for patients who were treated and released. The average for patients who needed to be treated and admitted to the hospital was 24 hours! And patients needing psychiatric care for major depression are being forced to wait up to six weeks before starting treatment, according to the WTA report.

Long waits for critical treatment are inevitable in government-run health care systems for one simple reason: Making health care “free” creates an infinite demand for medical services. But no country can satisfy an infinite demand, so government bureaucrats always end up rationing health care. Long lines of people waiting for services are the result. It’s the same process that produced long waiting lines for decades in the Soviet Union for basic necessities like bread and housing.

Obamacare advocates can only hope their friends in the mainstream media do a better job of carrying their water for them in the weeks ahead than The New York Times and CBS with their latest poll. Using a sample with exactly twice as many Obama voters as McCain voters, the Times/CBS pollsters got a result in which 57 percent of their respondents said they would pay higher taxes “so that all Americans have health insurance that they can’t lose no matter what.” But, as anybody who has taken a basic statistics course knows, a warped sample and an “apples-to-oranges” comparison has zero credibility.

washingtonexaminer.com
    Nice OPINION PIECE.

Now can you cut-n-paste an article with some actual facts?
    What kind of country have we become?

One in which federal prosecutors can take “evidence” before a “grand jury,”

and that grand jury can “vote to indict” a former president for 91 alleged “crimes”?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ZappasGuitar View Post
    Nice OPINION PIECE.

Now can you cut-n-paste an article with some actual facts?
    Nothing wrong with an opinion based on facts, as this one obviously is. *shrug*

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

the way it will go down is a VAT that pays for national healthcare once the boomers crash the system in retirement.
    Q: Senator Obama, would you take the same pledge? No tax increases on people under $250,000?

OBAMA: I not only have pledged not to raise their taxes, I've been the first candidate in this race to specifically say I would cut their taxes.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

*yawn*
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chapdog View Post
    the way it will go down is a VAT that pays for national healthcare once the boomers crash the system in retirement.
    So a standard progressive income tax that collects a billion on top of a regressive payroll tax that collects a billion on top of an uber-regressive VAT that takes in... how much? Or are you planning to cut the income tax or payroll tax to make up for it?
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    They shouldn't even call it insurance, since only a fool would pay to insure something that you know is going to happen, like getting a check-up or coming down with the flu. *shrug*
    There are a lot of fools in this old world, like thinking Social Security and Medicare are one in the same.

Obama, himself attempted to filibuster Justice Alito, who now sits on the Supreme Court.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Fools like the ones who lobbied to put social security money in the stock market?

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ib1yysguy View Post
    Fools like the ones who lobbied to put social security money in the stock market?
    Historically it would have done better. *shrug*

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
    Historically it would have done better. *shrug*
    Retarded. *shrug*

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ib1yysguy View Post
    Retarded. *shrug*
    Not understanding that 45 years of compounded interest will get you over three times your salary in simple interest is retarded. *shrug*

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I can't even read it. Black type on black background just does not work.
    I don't think I missed much anyway.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    I can't even read it. Black type on black background just does not work.
    I don't think I missed much anyway.
    You better have your eyes checked.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why? I still would not be able to spot any intellegence from you.

I use the part trois blach scheme.

Idiot, everyones screen does not look like yours.
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.