Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, saltydancin, serenity, Yakuda and ParachuteAdams

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiroshima was nuked, 6 August 1945

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Default Hiroshima was nuked, 6 August 1945

Hiroshima's mayor slams Russia while marking 77th anniversary of atomic bombing

Japan is today marking the 77th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, which killed tens of thousands of people in World War II.

Bells tolled in Hiroshima on Saturday, commemorating the world's first atomic bombing, with officials including the United Nations Secretary-General warning of a new arms race in the wake of Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

At 8:15am on August 6, 1945, the US B-29 warplane Enola Gay dropped a bomb nicknamed "Little Boy" and obliterated the city, which had an estimated population of 350,000.

Estimates of how many people died from the bomb, either instantly or in the following months, range between 90,000 and 166,000.

Hiroshima mayor Kazumi Matsui, whose city this year did not invite the Russian ambassador to the ceremony, was more pointed and critical of Moscow's military actions in Ukraine.

"In invading Ukraine, the Russian leader, elected to protect the lives and property of his people, is using them as instruments of war, stealing the lives and livelihoods of civilians in a different country," Mr Matsui said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.abc...icle/101307694

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

AProudLefty (08-06-2022), Doc Dutch (08-06-2022), evince (08-06-2022), LurchAddams (08-06-2022), ThatOwlWoman (08-06-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,759 Times in 7,263 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Wasted bombs that should have been used on the future red states instead.

Now that our former ally the Soviet Union is gone, we should use them on the new fascist Russia as well.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki was immoral and a crime against nature. But I also think it played a role in Japan accepting it had been utterly defeated and forcing them to submit to an unconditional surrender and a military occupation.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,482 Times in 9,081 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,427 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I think nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki was immoral and a crime against nature. But I also think it played a role in Japan accepting it had been utterly defeated and forcing them to submit to an unconditional surrender and a military occupation.
    They could have just surrounded the island nation with ships and just use conventional bombing without a land invasion?!! No goods or material could get into Japan, it would be just a matter of time before they would surrender?!! The atomic bombs were over kill?!!

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    They could have just surrounded the island nation with ships and just use conventional bombing without a land invasion?!! No goods or material could get into Japan, it would be just a matter of time before they would surrender?!! The atomic bombs were over kill?!!
    I don't think there has ever been a nation in human history that surrendered unconditionally and submitted to a military occupation because of a blockade.

As for bombing, I don't see fire bombing Japanese cities with incendiaries as being necessarily much more moral than a nuclear strike

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

McRocket (08-20-2022)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,614 Times in 10,679 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 617 Times in 606 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nuclear weapons LIMITED damage, that would have been much worse, on both sides, if there were a land invasion of Japan.

But, after reviewing the Rape of Shanghai, the Rape of Nanking, the Burmese Death March, what the Japanese did to the people of the Phillipines, the Attack on Pearl Harbor, etc. I haven't much sympathy for Japanese who attacked the US on Dec., 7th ,1941.

They kicked the sleeping lion, and got bit...bigtime.
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grokmaster For This Post:

ExpressLane (08-06-2022), Guno צְבִי (08-06-2022), McRocket (08-20-2022)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,482 Times in 9,081 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,427 Times in 1,256 Posts

I don't think there has ever been a nation in human history that surrendered unconditionally and submitted to a military occupation because of a blockade.

As for bombing, I don't see fire bombing Japanese cities with incendiaries as being necessarily much more moral than a nuclear strike

Then it's a land invasion, and that would justify the use of atomic bombs, to save American lives
    It expected between 1.7 million and four million Allied casualties, including 400,000 to 800,000 fatalities in the invasion of Japan?!! It's a no brainer!

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    Nuclear weapons LIMITED damage, that would have been much worse, on both sides, if there were a land invasion of Japan.

But, after reviewing the Rape of Shanghai, the Rape of Nanking, the Burmese Death March, what the Japanese did to the people of the Phillipines, the Attack on Pearl Harbor, etc. I haven't much sympathy for Japanese who attacked the US on Dec., 7th ,1941.

They kicked the sleeping lion, and got bit...bigtime.
    You can't pin the crimes of the Japanese army on the
    civilian women and children residents of Hiroshima

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

AProudLefty (08-06-2022)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post

Then it's a land invasion, and that would justify the use of atomic bombs, to save American lives
    It expected between 1.7 million and four million Allied casualties, including 400,000 to 800,000 fatalities in the invasion of Japan?!! It's a no brainer!
    All the choices were bad, and I guess Truman thought he was making the least bad choice.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (08-06-2022), Guno צְבִי (08-06-2022), LurchAddams (08-06-2022)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

I don’t. In fact I think it was eminently warranted. The Japanese fascist military regime under Hirohito was ever bit as vile, inhumane, murderous, degenerate and vile as their partners in international crime as the NAZI’s. The Japanese Empire killed more than 10,000,000 human beings and destroyed the lives of far more.

To end one of the most murderous regimes in human history was ethically and morally obligatory by any means necessary including the taking of the lives of the civilians who supported that regime.

Ergo the utter destruction of Japan with the vast loss of civilian lives was utterly and completely justified. It wasn’t like they weren’t given the option to surrender to stop the destruction and deaths of their country. The fact that when they were defeated and were still unwilling to surrender gives every indication that if let alone they would have continued their unforgivable and barbaric regime would have continued with their killing of millions of more lives.

In no way were the bombings of Hiroshima or Nagasaki a war crime. Like the NAZI’s the Japanese Empire was an existential threat to humanity and civilization itself and the use of nuclear weapons to end that horrific regime was completely warranted and justified in the name of preserving civilization itself.

It wasn’t just about saving the lives of American service members. It was about saving civilization itself.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

anatta (08-06-2022), Guno צְבִי (08-06-2022), Stone (08-06-2022)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,571 Times in 51,893 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do to...by 2020s standard. In 1945, I'd have ordered the bombs dropped. Letting the war last longer than necessary would be immoral.

From December 1941 to August 1945 America lost 407,316 of its sons and daughters plus chopped up another 671,278. Like Ukraine, the US didn't start the hostilities, but both have the right to neutralize the enemy waging war on them.

We can argue the "unconditional surrender aspect" but leading American generals were familiar hundreds of years of European wars and realized that anything short of unconditional surrender was merely a ceasefire. We'd lost too many to fall short of a 100% win to ensure it never happened again.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (08-06-2022), Guno צְבִי (08-06-2022), LurchAddams (08-06-2022), Mott the Hoople (08-06-2022)

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I don’t. In fact I think it was eminently warranted. The Japanese fascist military regime under Hirohito was ever bit as vile, inhumane, murderous, degenerate and vile as their partners in international crime as the NAZI’s. The Japanese Empire killed more than 10,000,000 human beings and destroyed the lives of far more.

To end one of the most murderous regimes in human history was ethically and morally obligatory by any means necessary including the taking of the lives of the civilians who supported that regime.

Ergo the utter destruction of Japan with the vast loss of civilian lives was utterly and completely justified. It wasn’t like they weren’t given the option to surrender to stop the destruction and deaths of their country. The fact that when they were defeated and were still unwilling to surrender gives every indication that if let alone they would have continued their unforgivable and barbaric regime would have continued with their killing of millions of more lives.

In no way were the bombings of Hiroshima or Nagasaki a war crime. Like the NAZI’s the Japanese Empire was an existential threat to humanity and civilization itself and the use of nuclear weapons to end that horrific regime was completely warranted and justified in the name of preserving civilization itself.

It wasn’t just about saving the lives of American service members. It was about saving civilization itself.
    I think killing civilians, and especially children is contrary to every moral law I believe in.

But all of war is immoral when you get down to it.

But like I said, we had to force Japan to surrender unconditionally, and submit to a military occupation, because we needed to totally dismantle their militaristic government and suppress the shogunate tenancy towards militarism.
    And it's possible the only way we were going to achieve that goal was to make them feel they were utterly defeated and on the verge of annihilation.
    Last edited by Cypress; 08-06-2022 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Typo

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-06-2022), LurchAddams (08-06-2022)

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,571 Times in 51,893 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think killing civilians, and especially children is contrary to every moral law I believe in.

But all of war is immoral when you get down to it.

But like I said, we had to force Japan to surrender unconditionally, and submit to a military occupation, became we needed to totally dismantle their militaristic government and suppress the shogunate tenancy towards militarism.
    And it's possible the only way we were going to achieve that goal was to make them feel they were utterly defeated and on the verge of annihilation.
    The Japanese are not Euros. They have faith enough to die for their principles.

Some facts: https://www.nationalww2museum.org/st...litary-numbers

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 165 Times in 155 Posts

Japan was trying to surrender but the US had a new toy they wanted to show off to the Soviets. The US is the most immoral empire in world history. Japanese fascists were building schools and factories all over Asia so the US decided they had to conform to western rule. Japan was nuked because they are nonwhite. It's as simple as the color of their skin. German nazis were recruited to work for the Anglosphere.

23. The Following User Groans At goat For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (08-06-2022)

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,539 Times in 14,028 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    Japan was trying to surrender but the US had a new toy they wanted to show off to the Soviets. The US is the most immoral empire in world history. Japanese fascists were building schools and factories all over Asia so the US decided they had to conform to western rule. Japan was nuked because they are nonwhite. It's as simple as the color of their skin. German nazis were recruited to work for the Anglosphere.
    Japan was trying to surrender
    what an ignorant dumb ass, they didn't surrender util the 2nd bomb was dropped and were warned.

Emperor Hirohito and his chief political adviser, Kido Koichi, stuck with the militarists and insisted on continuing with preparations for final battles on the home islands even in late June, when all organized resistance on Okinawa had ended, and an estimated 120,000 Japanese combatants (including Koreans and Taiwanese) and 150,000 to 170,000 non-combatants lay dead. U.S. combat losses in the battle of Okinawa were approximately 12,520 killed and over 33,000 wounded. With time accelerating and their sense of the urgency of the situation deepening, Hirohito responded to this defeat by forcing the army and navy leaders to agree to the idea of an"early peace." But he still gave no indication that he was thinking in terms of an immediate surrender, let alone proposing peace to the nations he was actually fighting.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Cypress (08-06-2022), LurchAddams (08-06-2022)