Thread: Gas prices down, jobs up

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,073 Times in 6,783 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

Default Gas prices down, jobs up

But Biden is a disaster, right?

Economists think inflation is going to start ticking down as well. The fodder that conservatives were planning on for the mid-terms is rapidly disappearing. The idea that Biden has failed is going to be a tough case to make while things are getting better for most Americans.

And on the flip side, the "alternative" that Republicans are offering is being highlighted by the 1/6 hearings, the Alex Jones trial, Roe being overturned and election deniers winning primaries. Most voters just aren't interested in that rabbit hole.
    Last edited by BartenderElite; 08-05-2022 at 09:06 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

AProudLefty (08-05-2022), christiefan915 (08-05-2022), Nomad (08-05-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post

Economists think inflation is going to start ticking down as well. The fodder that conservatives were planning on for the mid-terms is rapidly disappearing. The idea that Biden has failed is going to be a tough case to make while things are getting better for most Americans.

And on the flip side, the "alternative" that Republicans are offering is being highlighted by the 1/6 hearings, the Alex Jones trial and election deniers winning primaries. Most voters just aren't interested in that rabbit hole.
    Gas prices have dropped, which is great, but they are still very high. And a big part of the reason they have dropped is because demand slowed due to the high prices and fear of recession. As I understand it producers have been running at close to full capacity so there's not a lot of extra supply sitting there. Someone better versed in the industry than I can speak to this but my understanding is some of the refineries have to be taken off line periodically to be worked on, which could happen this fall, which hurts supply. Point being it's no guarantee that prices won't go back up.

More jobs are great (they are also a lagging economic indicator but that is a separate discussion) but if inflation is making people (feel) poorer then they aren't exactly in a celebratory mood.

To get the very low approval ratings Biden has takes far more than just Republicans disliking his job performance.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Into the Night (08-05-2022)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,073 Times in 6,783 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Gas prices have dropped, which is great, but they are still very high. And a big part of the reason they have dropped is because demand slowed due to the high prices and fear of recession. As I understand it producers have been running at close to full capacity so there's not a lot of extra supply sitting there. Someone better versed in the industry than I can speak to this but my understanding is some of the refineries have to be taken off line periodically to be worked on, which could happen this fall, which hurts supply. Point being it's no guarantee that prices won't go back up.

More jobs are great (they are also a lagging economic indicator but that is a separate discussion) but if inflation is making people (feel) poorer then they aren't exactly in a celebratory mood.

To get the very low approval ratings Biden has takes far more than just Republicans disliking his job performance.
    Things are trending better. Considering Biden hasn't even had 2 full years, one could at minimum draw a conclusion that he's not actively screwing up the economy.

Gas prices have been a mantra for the Republicans - it's really one of the cornerstones of their campaign. Any movement in a positive direction weakens that.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 111 Times in 104 Posts

And on the flip side, the "alternative" that Republicans are offering is being highlighted by the 1/6 hearings, the Alex Jones trial, Roe being overturned and election deniers winning primaries. Most voters just aren't interested in that rabbit hole.
    he is a fucking disaster, he has slid to 1 out 5 on these important metrics vs Trump

https://www.factsarefirst.com/compar...n/donald-trump
    Doc Dutch finally admits he is a steaming pile of chickenshit!

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Things are trending better. Considering Biden hasn't even had 2 full years, one could at minimum draw a conclusion that he's not actively screwing up the economy.

Gas prices have been a mantra for the Republicans - it's really one of the cornerstones of their campaign. Any movement in a positive direction weakens that.
    Trending better? It depends on the specific data point you're looking at I guess. Not all is bad in the world by any means but having two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth and projections of either being a recession now or to be in one soon generally doesn't scream out things are going well.

As far as current gas prices they are still very high. Not as high as two months ago but they are still really high.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Trending better? It depends on the specific data point you're looking at I guess. Not all is bad in the world by any means but having two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth and projections of either being a recession now or to be in one soon generally doesn't scream out things are going well.

As far as current gas prices they are still very high. Not as high as two months ago but they are still really high.
    ^^Says a Trump fascist.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default US employers add 528,000 jobs; unemployment falls to 3.5%

WASHINGTON (AP) — America’s employers added a stunning 528,000 jobs last month despite raging inflation and anxiety about a possible recession, restoring all of the positions lost in the coronavirus recession. Unemployment fell to 3.5%, the lowest level since the pandemic struck in early 2020.

There were 130,000 more jobs created in July than there were in June, and the most since February.

https://apnews.com/article/inflation...0df8261446b737

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stringfellow Hawk View Post
    he is a fucking disaster, he has slid to 1 out 5 on these important metrics vs Trump

https://www.factsarefirst.com/compar...n/donald-trump
    This must be a news fly by night site, I can't find any info about this site.
    Lock Him Up

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trumpet For This Post:

christiefan915 (08-05-2022)

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    ^^Says a Trump fascist.
    Cracko seems to think that he knows it all.
    Lock Him Up

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    Another deluded right winger.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Another deluded right winger.
    Exactly
    Lock Him Up

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,294 Times in 27,099 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

"Put that recession talk away, and change the subject. A vibecession ain’t no recession: July payrolls came in at a huge +528k, and unemployment is down to 3.46%, the lowest in half a century." --> Economist Justin Wolfers, University of Michigan

"Amazing job growth, strong & sustainable wage growth, and slowing inflation: WE ARE NOT IN A RECESSION.” --> Economist David Rothschild

More jobs created during the Biden presidency than the last three Republican administrations added up together

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

christiefan915 (08-05-2022)

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,174 Times in 5,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 558 Posts

GOD BLESS PRESIDENT BIDEN!
    Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

the damage is already done..........the 'trending' might slow the process, but we're still headed for hard times. of course, the liberal media is whitewashing the bad news and the lemming liberals and parrots squawk make this sound like it's an awesome return...........
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    I wish I knew it all. Unfortunately I am far from that. If you have issue or disagreement with what I said I'm open to hearing it.