Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, saltydancin, serenity, Yakuda and ParachuteAdams

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kyrsten Sinema signs onto Biden's economic bill

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    It’s more than just the news. The nightly news isn’t ending its newscast with “stay woke fam”
    Agreed. It is possible to hear the term discussed by others who pay attention to the news. Or through second hand rumor-level discussion of the term.

The 4th Estate acts to keep our nation informed. Most people don't make time for it in their lives. America is not very well informed.

If 'woke' has been in the news, it's news to most Americans.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

evince (08-05-2022)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Its a trick they do, sometimes in an attempt to say something without actually saying it, in this case I think its an attempt to be racist, by suggesting that there is something wrong with being against racism.
    Like bleeding heart liberal

As if caring about people made you Ill

As if it’s a disease

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evince For This Post:

christiefan915 (08-05-2022), Jarod (08-05-2022)

5. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,614 Times in 21,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,628 Times in 5,136 Posts
    Blog Entries

That’s not what it is. It’s a push back against the excesses of wokeness. One can be woke and not support it’s excesses. One can be woke and be racist. There are lots of factors at play.
    Defined Wokeness as being aware of social injustice, How can there be an excess of being aware of social injustice?

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

evince (08-05-2022)

7. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello cawacko,

Agreed. It is possible to hear the term discussed by others who pay attention to the news. Or through second hand rumor-level discussion of the term.

The 4th Estate acts to keep our nation informed. Most people don't make time for it in their lives. America is not very well informed.

If 'woke' has been in the news, it's news to most Americans.
    This has nothing to do with the news. It’s not the national news’ responsibility to say there’s a term called woke some people are using.

8. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Defined Wokeness as being aware of social injustice, How can there be an excess of being aware of social injustice?
    How can there be an excess of patriotism, love or anything for that matter? Because we deem something good doesn’t mean it can’t be used in a wrong or excessive way.

But if you are truly interested read John McWhorter’s boom Woke Racism. It will answer your question.

9. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

10. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I use it because it's the only word available to describe a certain propensity of far left progressive types to point at everything as racism or one of the other currently popular "isms".
    I just think the buzzword Woke is one of those fads that comes and goes. In two years most people won't be using it. In five years it will sound vaguely stupid.

'Politically correct' was the go-to buzzword 20 years ago, but it is rarely used anymore and sounds out of date.

I have just usually never been the type to jump on a fad bandwagon.

The moral of the story for me, is you can't really have social justice unless you first have economic justice.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (08-06-2022), Nomad (08-05-2022)

12. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,900 Times in 7,961 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I just think the buzzword Woke is one of those fads that comes and goes. In two years most people won't be using it. In five years it will sound vaguely stupid.

'Politically correct' was the go-to buzzword 20 years ago, but it is rarely used anymore and sounds out of date.

I have just usually never been the type to jump on a fad bandwagon.

The moral of the story for me, is you can't really have social justice unless you first have economic justice.
    Re: the fad nature of the word itself, I imagine you're right. Lingo changes constantly.

But there will be some other fad word to replace it.

For now though, if I need to describe something or someone that appears to be overly PC to the point of defying common sense, woke will have to do it for me.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

13. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 661 Times in 608 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Sinema says she will 'move forward' on economic bill, giving Democrats the votes to move ahead

(CNN)Sen. Kyrsten Sinema on Thursday night agreed to support the Democrats' economic bill, giving Democrats the 50 votes they need to pass the legislation in the coming days.

"The agreement preserves the major components of the Inflation Reduction Act, including reducing prescription drug costs, fighting climate change, closing tax loopholes exploited by big corporations and the wealthy, and reducing the deficit by $300 billion," Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said in a statement

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...day/index.html
    I don't think or I know it would have not have boded well for Sinema had she voted against this critically important national economic bill that would have put her in a position that she would sorely regret. It comes to a point that engaging in un-American activities at holding the well being of society hostage for one's personal gain which is not the intent of a elected public servant, and other types of sedition which also comes to a point of reckoning. From what I understand, the elected job of a Congress person or any other public official is to be a public servant at serving the best interests of society and not themselves as a get rich scheme on the taxpayer money that pays them to serve their interests only.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gemini104104 For This Post:

Cypress (08-06-2022)

15. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Cawacko,

This has nothing to do with the news. It’s not the national news’ responsibility to say there’s a term called woke some people are using.
    There is only one main reason anybody is talking about 'woke.' And in a way I agree. It's Tucker, not the news.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

16. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Cawacko,

There is only one main reason anybody is talking about 'woke.' And in a way I agree. It's Tucker, not the news.
    I don’t think you understand woke or wokeness based on that comment.

17. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Re: the fad nature of the word itself, I imagine you're right. Lingo changes constantly.

But there will be some other fad word to replace it.

For now though, if I need to describe something or someone that appears to be overly PC to the point of defying common sense, woke will have to do it for me.
    Thanks for helping the evil side

18. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

19. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill

The terms "red pill" and "blue pill" refer to a choice between the willingness to learn a potentially unsettling or life-changing truth by taking the red pill or remaining in contented ignorance with the blue pill. The terms refer to a scene in the 1999 film The Matrix.

20. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries