Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: “Gun Violence in America”

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    There are always going to be targets “less likely to have armed resistance,” you can not defend them all, nor can you predict the next shooter, the only variable we have to work with is that which makes it all possible, the gun
    so, just to understand you clearly, is you KNOW you can't do anything meaningful or effective about identifying the next shooter or ensuring adequate defensive measures on soft targets, so your chosen option is to greatly restrict a constitutional right.......or more simpler, ignore the constitution. is that about right?
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No one is free if they have to live in fear of being shot while going to a movie, church, mall, parade, theater, spa, grocery store, spa, club, senior citizen center, school, concert, etc.
    then you will never be free
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,488 Times in 52,491 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by volsrock View Post
    It is banned for private sale and use

Oh wait that ban does no good
    Exactly. Only a fucking moron results to banning things as their solution to suicide.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Just gets better by the post, we’ve gone from cars, to swimming pools, to opioids, to now McDonald’s and Big Tobacco

Neither McDonalds nor Big Tobacco have ever killed numerous innocent kids in schools, people attending church, individuals grocery shopping, etc, and all in the matter of seconds
    Exactly! Aren't you quivering in your boots worried about space aliens or an airliner dropping a motor on you?

Soooo...slow death is okay, but quick death isn't. Got it. I disagree, but can see why you want your McDonald's, private automobiles and private swimming pools.

The fact I find so odd about this discussion is that not a single gun banner replied to the truism that Republicans and Democrats are both using exactly the same tactics to erode Constitutional rights and impose Federal control over the private lives of Americans.

5. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,247 Times in 13,970 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    so, just to understand you clearly, is you KNOW you can't do anything meaningful or effective about identifying the next shooter or ensuring adequate defensive measures on soft targets, so your chosen option is to greatly restrict a constitutional right.......or more simpler, ignore the constitution. is that about right?
    Been thru this umpteenth times, regulating guns is not eliminating a constitutional right, all constitutional rights can, are, and have always been, regulated, guns are no different, even Scalia confirmed it in his majority opinion in Heller

And please, don’t return with the “freedom” cliche, have had to explain that one umpteen times also

6. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,247 Times in 13,970 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Exactly! Aren't you quivering in your boots worried about space aliens or an airliner dropping a motor on you?

Soooo...slow death is okay, but quick death isn't. Got it. I disagree, but can see why you want your McDonald's, private automobiles and private swimming pools.

The fact I find so odd about this discussion is that not a single gun banner replied to the truism that Republicans and Democrats are both using exactly the same tactics to erode Constitutional rights and impose Federal control over the private lives of Americans.
    Once again, space aliens and bird droppings don’t kill people, guns do, innocent people, and with guns, large numbers of people in seconds. And to imply we shouldn’t worry about kids getting massacred in schools is inane

No one is eroding Constitutional rights, as I’ve said, all constitutional rights can, and always have been dating back to the 18th Century, regulated, no right anywhere is absolute, if they were, we’d have anarchy

7. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Been thru this umpteenth times, regulating guns is not eliminating a constitutional right, all constitutional rights can, are, and have always been, regulated, guns are no different, even Scalia confirmed it in his majority opinion in Heller

And please, don’t return with the “freedom” cliche, have had to explain that one umpteen times also
    yes, we know you hate freedom. it scares you. you need daddy gov to make you feel safer.

8. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Turn the channel and you will learn more

“Homicides are often associated with big cities like Chicago, where police say the majority of killings have some tie to gang rivalries, which in recent years often fester on social media before spilling into the streets. But while Chicago’s homicide rate is high, with nearly 800 killings in the city of 2.7 million last year, its rate per capita is lower than many smaller cities.”

https://apnews.com/article/gun-viole...bb78bd2e0327c1

Amazing all the reading problems the gun huggers share, with the statistics lacking on homicides, voluntary reporting to the FBI and CDC, the shooting on the farm often goes unreported and uncounted in rural areas
    or you could look at facts and see where the pro=blems lie.

• Handguns were the primary firearm used in murders, having been used in 6,603 of the firearm-related murders, while shotguns were used in 235 murders, “other guns” were used in 167 and unspecified types of firearms accounted for the 2,963 remaining firearms-related murders.

americanmilitarynews.com/2019/10/fbi-stats-show-5-times-more-murders-by-knives-than-rifles-in-2018/

FBI stats show 5 times more murders by knives than rifles in 2018
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

9. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Once again, space aliens and bird droppings don’t kill people, guns do, innocent people, and with guns, large numbers of people in seconds. And to imply we shouldn’t worry about kids getting massacred in schools is inane

No one is eroding Constitutional rights, as I’ve said, all constitutional rights can, and always have been dating back to the 18th Century, regulated, no right anywhere is absolute, if they were, we’d have anarchy
    Tens of thousands of people die every single day. Why are you upset over the minuscule odds of a mentally ill white boy killing you when there are many other preventable ways to die? Seems odd to me.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...deaths-per-day
    Death Rates by Country
    Deaths per Day 2022 Population
    1 CN Flag China 30,373 1,448,471,400
    2 IN Flag India 28,279 1,406,631,776
    3 US Flag United States 8,295 334,805,269
    4 NG Flag Nigeria 6,561 216,746,934
    5 RU Flag Russia 5,174 145,805,947
    6 ID Flag Indonesia 5,091 279,134,505
    7 PK Flag Pakistan 4,220 229,488,994
    8 BR Flag Brazil 3,968 215,353,593
    9 JP Flag Japan 3,888 125,584,838
    10 DE Flag Germany 2,658 83,883,596

10. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,129 Times in 11,701 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

COVID 1 in 12 but mainly for the "masks don't work" and anti-vax dumbasses. Not really a loss.

Fatty foods, lack of exercise and smoking kill more; Heart Disease 1 in 6

Time to ban McDonald's? Require all who eat there to register with a doctor and get a license? LOL

Lifetime odds of death for selected causes, United States, 2020
    Cause of Death Odds of Dying
    Heart disease 1 in 6
    Cancer 1 in 7
    COVID-19 1 in 12
    All preventable causes of death 1 in 21
    Making up numbers is not helping you.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

11. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Couldn’t agree more. My dad is 91, still gardens, mows his 1 acre yard and drives the 25 miles to town. He takes care of the money for the church congregation where he attends. I’m happy for him.

By contrast I had a bass tournament buddy who had a stroke at 55, languished in a nursing home for 4 years before dying. It was a sad deal.

Then, my mom died suddenly at 70 after a full day of helping with a community meal and quilting with her group. I alway like to say that “she lived until she died.”

I’ve always considered that if I was unable to go and do or was dependent on someone for constant care I’d rather go ahead and go. Guess we don’t get to choose though.

But I digress…don’t want to derail the thread too much. There is only one way to curtail gun violence…
    Shoot back.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode

12. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,637 Times in 10,063 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,101 Times in 1,013 Posts

guns do? really

Do baseball bats kill people?

Does a rope kill people?

13. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Making up numbers is not helping you.
    You're free to believe "masks don't work" but walls do, Sybil, because that's just part of you being you.

You're also free to post your fantasies disproving the facts I posted.

14. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Let me clarify. I always hear we are so much more violent or that we have so many more gun deaths (and it’s true) than other “civilized” nations. It has always been my thought that if we want to have gun deaths at a rate of, say, Australia, then we have to have gun laws like they have in Australia. If we want to have as few deaths, by rate, as the UK, then we’re going to have to have laws like the UK.

My point being that the only way for the gun opposition to get what they want is to confiscate, register, regulate, price the opportunity for gun ownership out of the reach of the common man and essentially have no private gun ownership in this country…which obviously I disagree with.

And notice I purposely used the word “curtail” because even those nations with all their efforts still have a degree of gun violence. It is not eliminated even there.

No, to get to the levels the anti-gun crowd want to get to the have to make our country like those that they reference in almost every conversation of this sort. I try to get them to be honest and admit that that’s really their goal.
    Homicides take other forms than by gun as well. It's a special pleading fallacy to only discuss gun homicides.

15. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You're free to believe "masks don't work" but walls do, Sybil, because that's just part of you being you.

You're also free to post your fantasies disproving the facts I posted.
    Sybil isn't here, dude. I can't talk to your hallucination.

Masks do not stop a virus. Paradox M.
    Mandated vaccines are unconstitutional. Paradox V.