Thread: Bette Middler Speaks

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,870 Times in 21,642 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,675 Times in 5,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    For starters this “discussion” over the correct terms we use goes all the way to the White House so trying to pass this off as something only Fox News cares about shows your ignorance on the topic. (especially for one who professes to be so progressive)

And where did Fox News even come up here? Just throwing out straw men?
    No, I am not talking about "the discussion", I am talking about a washed up old actress. It simply sounds like the type of screaming headline I see on Fox, elevating the post of some silly person nobody cares about, pretending she is some liberal icon.

Nobody cares what she says or thinks, except those trying to make it into a scandal. Its Fox's style.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    No, I am not talking about "the discussion", I am talking about a washed up old actress. It simply sounds like the type of screaming headline I see on Fox, elevating the post of some silly person nobody cares about, pretending she is some liberal icon.

Nobody cares what she says or thinks, except those trying to make it into a scandal. Its Fox's style.
    Clearly there are people who care based on the responses she received. She’s not saying something other haven’t already said in this discussion but having some name recognition can draw a little more attention to it.

Because one is on the left or right doesn’t mean they agree with everyone else on their ‘side’ on every issue. People can have differing opinions. Within feminists and trans circles the debate over what is inclusive in rhetoric is playing out here.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,554 Times in 2,628 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 216 Times in 211 Posts

everyone enjoy the 4th and the fredoms you have?

just a reminder, ever single MALE - over the 18 - still must fill out a selective service card - as the possibility of them being enlisted still exists if society deems the emergency is grave enough

so enough of the my body, my choice shit. Hey women - like Bette Midler - you are a still given all sorts of privileges you seem to of forgotten about

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,339 Times in 52,392 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zymurgy View Post
    everyone enjoy the 4th and the fredoms you have?

just a reminder, ever single MALE - over the 18 - still must fill out a selective service card - as the possibility of them being enlisted still exists if society deems the emergency is grave enough

so enough of the my body, my choice shit. Hey women - like Bette Midler - you are a still given all sorts of privileges you seem to of forgotten about
    Yes.

BTDT. Did you serve? My family has three military retirees. Yours?

Dumbass, filling out a card is not the same as a draft. If you had ever served in the military, and now I know you didn't, you'd know what I'm saying is true.

Why do you hate America so much, sock?

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,185 Times in 13,935 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

Saban has been paying players for years. Not shocking he’s not happy with losing some of his advantage. How many players sit out game already for academic reasons? Not that many that I’m aware. I don’t think this love changes that.

But yes, college football is obviously changing and there will likely be two major conferences and others just below them. Whether we like or not it’s the reality (I’m not a fan).

Schools can go the Ivy League model if they want. That’s one way out of the rat race
    More than just changing, not the same product, in time, the nostalgia of marching bans, pep rallies, beating the arch rival, all the fanfare will be gone, it will become a straight made for TV product, with, as I said, semipro organizations pimping the school’s name completely removed from the actual institution. Will the big TV markets this is all courting be interested in a product that is done better on Sunday?

Question becomes what happens to the other sports, in particular basketball, the cash cow NCAA Tournament wouldn’t sell as it does if it loses the Hosier theme

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,750 Times in 4,500 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

I saw this being discussed on social media. Based on her tweeting history she is pretty clearly a political progressive.

She’s getting a lot of sh*t for the second half of her tweet. If I were to guess there’s a generational issue involved here. She’s spent her whole life calling women women so the new ‘inclusive’ terms are probably not as familiar to her. This isn’t the first time, nor will it be the last, that it has occurred (generational differences). New rhetoric replaces the old.
    What is the correct inclusive term?

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,750 Times in 4,500 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    More than just changing, not the same product, in time, the nostalgia of marching bans, pep rallies, beating the arch rival, all the fanfare will be gone, it will become a straight made for TV product, with, as I said, semipro organizations pimping the school’s name completely removed from the actual institution. Will the big TV markets this is all courting be interested in a product that is done better on Sunday?

Question becomes what happens to the other sports, in particular basketball, the cash cow NCAA Tournament wouldn’t sell as it does if it loses the Hosier theme
    Students are already leaving high school early to enroll in college to get some of the NIL money.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    What is the correct inclusive term?
    I believe it’s birthing people and menstruators

https://www.newsweek.com/bette-midle...721600?amp=1Da

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Minister of Truth (07-05-2022)

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It’s not out of the question that college football becomes semi pro at some point (although at that point no one will watch so someone is going to have to subsidize it)

Most other sports rely on football to subsidize them so not sure what they do. Probably still exist but simply as club sports

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

I saw this being discussed on social media. Based on her tweeting history she is pretty clearly a political progressive.

She’s getting a lot of sh*t for the second half of her tweet. If I were to guess there’s a generational issue involved here. She’s spent her whole life calling women women so the new ‘inclusive’ terms are probably not as familiar to her. This isn’t the first time, nor will it be the last, that it has occurred (generational differences). New rhetoric replaces the old.

Cancel her.

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,185 Times in 13,935 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

It’s not out of the question that college football becomes semi pro at some point (although at that point no one will watch so someone is going to have to subsidize it)

Most other sports rely on football to subsidize them so not sure what they do. Probably still exist but simply as club sports
    Your too nostalgic, already semipro with half the existing members in the two conferences, and now with the million dollar contracts, and loss of institutional control, certainly not college sports, not the traditional Saturday college football I’d say you think it is

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Your too nostalgic, already semipro with half the existing members in the two conferences, and now with the million dollar contracts, and loss of institutional control, certainly not college sports, not the traditional Saturday college football I’d say you think it is
    The college football I grew up on is long gone. Today the money and conferences are bigger and players have far more power (transfer rights and N.I.L.)

As long as teams are still tied to the Universities there will be demand. Disconnect them from the schools and that goes away (think college basketball vs G League)

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Clearly there are people who care based on the responses she received. She’s not saying something other haven’t already said in this discussion but having some name recognition can draw a little more attention to it.

Because one is on the left or right doesn’t mean they agree with everyone else on their ‘side’ on every issue. People can have differing opinions. Within feminists and trans circles the debate over what is inclusive in rhetoric is playing out here.
    She is silly and not a representative of any community other than washed up actresses.

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    She is silly and not a representative of any community other than washed up actresses.
    I don't have thoughts on her one way or the other but she's speaking about a sensitive subject and one, in certain groups, is at the for front of what they are fighting for. (and she's not the only one who shares the beliefs she stated - having the name recognition she does means her comments will get more attention)

Edit: wait, she's not a woman who can speak on woman's issues? Isn't that attitude coming from a man a perfect example of the patriarchy at work? (or something like that)

Bette Midler Divides Fans by Saying Trans-Inclusive Language Erases Women

https://www.newsweek.com/bette-midle...-1721600?amp=1

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't have thoughts on her one way or the other but she's speaking about a sensitive subject and one, in certain groups, is at the for front of what they are fighting for. (and she's not the only one who shares the beliefs she stated - having the name recognition she does means her comments will get more attention)

Edit: wait, she's not a woman who can speak on woman's issues? Isn't that attitude coming from a man a perfect example of the patriarchy at work? (or something like that)

Bette Midler Divides Fans by Saying Trans-Inclusive Language Erases Women

https://www.newsweek.com/bette-midle...-1721600?amp=1
    She can speak all she wants, but only certain people give it any attention.

LOCK HIM UP!