Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bette Middler Speaks

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Bette Middler Speaks

I saw this being discussed on social media. Based on her tweeting history she is pretty clearly a political progressive.

She’s getting a lot of sh*t for the second half of her tweet. If I were to guess there’s a generational issue involved here. She’s spent her whole life calling women women so the new ‘inclusive’ terms are probably not as familiar to her. This isn’t the first time, nor will it be the last, that it has occurred (generational differences). New rhetoric replaces the old.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I saw this being discussed on social media. Based on her tweeting history she is pretty clearly a political progressive.

She’s getting a lot of sh*t for the second half of her tweet. If I were to guess there’s a generational issue involved here. She’s spent her whole life calling women women so the new ‘inclusive’ terms are probably not as familiar to her. This isn’t the first time, nor will it be the last, that it has occurred (generational differences). New rhetoric replaces the old.

How do you know she is getting a “lot of sh*t for the second half of her tweet?” Only ask cause I only read one “inclusive” type critical reply attached to the tweet

Common between any generation, probably accelerated these days with social media

And still haven’t heard much on the LA teams running to the Big Ten

3. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Jarod (07-05-2022)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,622 Times in 21,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why does anyone but the Foxnews Crowd care what some washed up actress says?

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    How do you know she is getting a “lot of sh*t for the second half of her tweet?” Only ask cause I only read one “inclusive” type critical reply attached to the tweet

Common between any generation, probably accelerated these days with social media

And still haven’t heard much on the LA teams running to the Big Ten
    She’s getting plenty of pushback in the responses and this isn’t unique to her. Was listening a podcast last week with a couple of feminists last week lamenting the loss of Roe and this topic came up, they felt some elite feminists worried more about this (not using the term woman for example) than the battles that still need to be fought.

That’s not for me to say how feminists should debate among themselves but doesn’t mean I can’t follow it.

Still waiting to see if anyone else from out West joins. ND and Stanford are being thrown about

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

So she is being old fashioned.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Why does anyone but the Foxnews Crowd care what some washed up actress says?
    For starters this “discussion” over the correct terms we use goes all the way to the White House so trying to pass this off as something only Fox News cares about shows your ignorance on the topic. (especially for one who professes to be so progressive)

And where did Fox News even come up here? Just throwing out straw men?

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    So she is being old fashioned.
    I be used generational divide when old fashion could also work.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

I be used generational divide when old fashion could also work.
    Yeah. There are always generational gaps every generation.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

She’s getting plenty of pushback in the responses and this isn’t unique to her. Was listening a podcast last week with a couple of feminists last week lamenting the loss of Roe and this topic came up, they felt some elite feminists worried more about this (not using the term woman for example) than the battles that still need to be fought.

That’s not for me to say how feminists should debate among themselves but doesn’t mean I can’t follow it.

Still waiting to see if anyone else from out West joins. ND and Stanford are being thrown about
    Not quite sure what you mean by "elite" feminists, and I have to ask, why would you listen to a podcast on feminists debating amongst themselves on semantics?

No one else out West is going to be invited, no one dominates in a big enough TV market, and ND doesn't have to be in any hurry, I'd bet they wait to see what happens to the ACC

And it seems that you have no problem with what this could mean to the integrity of USC as an academic institution, hard to believe that when it comes down to the million dollar contract the school will have any say on the kid's academic career

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not quite sure what you mean by "elite" feminists, and I have to ask, why would you listen to a podcast on feminists debating amongst themselves on semantics?

No one else out West is going to be invited, no one dominates in a big enough TV market, and ND doesn't have to be in any hurry, I'd bet they wait to see what happens to the ACC

And it seems that you have no problem with what this could mean to the integrity of USC as an academic institution, hard to believe that when it comes down to the million dollar contract the school will have any say on the kid's academic career
    This was the podcast, it was fantastic. Almost every group is going to have elites within them. Feminists are no different. And as with many groups, what the elite think/want isn’t always 100% in line with what other members of the group think most important.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000568084623

I’m not sure why the move to the Big 10 would have any affect on ‘SC from an academic institution perspective, or even the individual kids themselves (short of longer flights being an issue). Nothing changes academically here.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This was the podcast, it was fantastic. Almost every group is going to have elites within them. Feminists are no different. And as with many groups, what the elite think/want isn’t always 100% in line with what other members of the group think most important.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000568084623

I’m not sure why the move to the Big 10 would have any affect on ‘SC from an academic institution perspective, or even the individual kids themselves (short of longer flights being an issue). Nothing changes academically here.
    Nah, couldn't do that, not a fan of podcasts, rather read it

Nothing personal, but you got to be incredible naïve to think this isn't going to have a direct effect on academics. When you have rosters your alumni have invested millions in I can't imagine some Dean of Students telling any coach a key player isn't academically eligible to play in the big game, all which will be accelerated now that basically there will be only two football conferences with both willing to spend what it takes

Without a doubt, within in two or three years the NCAA will give up any control over college football, the two conferences will run their own programs, it will turn into semi pro football, basically profit being the bottom line and having little to do with the institutions other than employing the name. Only question is what becomes of the other sports, especially basketball, given the NCAA Tournament is a cash cow, one where underdogs are a major player

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nah, couldn't do that, not a fan of podcasts, rather read it

Nothing personal, but you got to be incredible naïve to think this isn't going to have a direct effect on academics. When you have rosters your alumni have invested millions in I can't imagine some Dean of Students telling any coach a key player isn't academically eligible to play in the big game, all which will be accelerated now that basically there will be only two football conferences with both willing to spend what it takes

Without a doubt, within in two or three years the NCAA will give up any control over college football, the two conferences will run their own programs, it will turn into semi pro football, basically profit being the bottom line and having little to do with the institutions other than employing the name. Only question is what becomes of the other sports, especially basketball, given the NCAA Tournament is a cash cow, one where underdogs are a major player
    The pressure to win, draw fans (money) etc. has always been there. If ‘SC, or any school, was going to cheat in that regard they would already have been doing it.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The pressure to win, draw fans (money) etc. has always been there. If ‘SC, or any school, was going to cheat in that regard they would already have been doing it.
    Well, as we all know, some have been, there is a reason Sabin is against the changing landscape, and the money motivation is now on steroid, the USC/UCLA as just the latest example, it is predictable that eventually all of it will have little to do with the schools other than pimping their names. When the fan talk starts centering on wanting bigger payrolls for rosters, as it will, college football will no longer be college football but a lesser copy of Sunday

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well, as we all know, some have been, there is a reason Sabin is against the changing landscape, and the money motivation is now on steroid, the USC/UCLA as just the latest example, it is predictable that eventually all of it will have little to do with the schools other than pimping their names. When the fan talk starts centering on wanting bigger payrolls for rosters, as it will, college football will no longer be college football but a lesser copy of Sunday
    Saban has been paying players for years. Not shocking he’s not happy with losing some of his advantage. How many players sit out game already for academic reasons? Not that many that I’m aware. I don’t think this love changes that.

But yes, college football is obviously changing and there will likely be two major conferences and others just below them. Whether we like or not it’s the reality (I’m not a fan).

Schools can go the Ivy League model if they want. That’s one way out of the rat race

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,628 Times in 51,918 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

I never put much stock in celebrities or sports stars for life advice.

That said, she's not the first woman nor the last to bitch about how the fucking theocratic authoritarians corrupting SCOTUS are oppressive, anti-American assholes along with their supporters.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"