Thread: Guns, Insurance, and alcohol

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,536 Times in 2,978 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Two simple proposals:

1. All gun owners must purchase liability insurance for every weapon they own. No insurance, no gun.
    2. If you have had a DUI in the last five years, or multiple DUI convictions, no gun.

I'm pretty sure that would effectively keep an AR-15 out of the hands of an 18 year old with no training.

Discuss.
    No to #2.

Absolutely no way no how to #1.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Earl (07-06-2022), Into the Night (07-06-2022)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    What is a "traditional" hunting rifle?

Do you know the Winchester Model 70 and the Remmington Model 700, both considered very popular hunting rifles, were the sniper rifles in Nam?
    Yes, I like all this “traditional hunting rifle” stuff I read. What is it? What are they? Besides, the people who wrote the 2nd amendment weren’t thinking about hunting.

I’ve killed the most deer during the past 25 years with one of my several black powder muzzle loaders but I’m not reaching for one of those guns if someone breaks into my house.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Earl (07-06-2022), Matt Dillon (07-08-2022), RB 60 (07-07-2022)

5. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,291 Times in 27,097 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    What is a "traditional" hunting rifle?

Do you know the Winchester Model 70 and the Remmington Model 700, both considered very popular hunting rifles, were the sniper rifles in Nam?
    You don't have a constitutional right to high capacity ammunition clips combined with a semi -automatic rifle.

There is no legitimate civilian need for that kind of weapon.

I could kill you with a traditional hunting rifle, shotgun, or revolver. But it would be more challenging to quickly kill and maim dozens of unwitting victims with those weapons.

That's what we're talking about, mass murder of dozens of victims.

6. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-06-2022)

7. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,291 Times in 27,097 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    You don't have a constitutional right to high capacity ammunition clips combined with a semi -automatic rifle.

I could kill you with a traditional hunting rifle, shotgun, or revolver. But it would be more challenging to quickly kill and maim dozens of unwitting victims with those weapons.

I read that 87 bullet casings and three empty ammo clips were found were he shot from.

He had almost 90 bullets and only needed three high capacity clips (assuming they were 30 round clips) to execute and maim all those people. That is a lot of firepower available to him in a short period of time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (07-07-2022)

9. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

yes, I do. Yes, there is.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

10. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,073 Times in 6,783 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

The NRA's influence over DC can be compared to our new radical SCOTUS.

Completely out of step with the majority of Americans.

We have to decide as a people: is this how we really want to live? After the San Bernadino attack, the government went all out w/ travel bans, surveillance and other measures against foreign threats. We have the equivalent of a San Bernadino every week now, and no place in America is safe.

What do we want our country to be like? Voters have to make themselves heard.

11. The Following User Groans At BartenderElite For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-06-2022)

12. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    The NRA's influence over DC can be compared to our new radical SCOTUS.

Completely out of step with the majority of Americans.

We have to decide as a people: is this how we really want to live? After the San Bernadino attack, the government went all out w/ travel bans, surveillance and other measures against foreign threats. We have the equivalent of a San Bernadino every week now, and no place in America is safe.

What do we want our country to be like? Voters have to make themselves heard.
    only a moron would demand more government protection after having been told that there is no legal requirement for government to protect you.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

13. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

Legitimate need is not mentioned in the Second.

Right to bear arms is.

14. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Don't forget eating fatty foods. The #1 Killer in America is Heart Disease followed by Cancer. Having the Food Police monitor everyone's life style would save millions of lives.

Being violently shot isn't even in the Top Ten causes of death by the CDC. It appears the idiots who believed "Masks don't work" and "vaxxes are poison" took a huuuuge hit this year:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lea...s-of-death.htm

Number of deaths for leading causes of death
    • Heart disease: 696,962
    • Cancer: 602,350
    • COVID-19: 350,831
    • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 200,955
    • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 160,264
    • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 152,657
    • Alzheimer’s disease: 134,242
    • Diabetes: 102,188
    • Influenza and pneumonia: 53,544
    • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 52,547

An alcohol bottle isn't going to kill anyone except the person drinking it. Same with fatty foods. Not true with guns. That's why we have insurance for your home or your car. We should require it to own a firearm. Do you have a substantive argument against the proposal?

15. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    No to #2.

Absolutely no way no how to #1.
    Why? Give me a reason.

16. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why? Give me a reason.
    #1 - Puts “legal” guns in only the hands of the rich.

#2 - I’m not a drinker. I’m a tea totaler … but that is extreme to me. I think about the woman who is in an abusive situation and has drunk booze to “handle it” (like they do sometimes) then she decides to clean up and move on. Suppose she needs protection? That’s just one example.

There’s only one way to minimize bad things happening with guns.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Doc Dutch (07-06-2022)

18. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    #1 - Puts “legal” guns in only the hands of the rich.

#2 - I’m not a drinker. I’m a tea totaler … but that is extreme to me. I think about the woman who is in an abusive situation and has drunk booze to “handle it” (like they do sometimes) then she decides to clean up and move on. Suppose she needs protection? That’s just one example.

There’s only one way to minimize bad things happening with guns.
    That's a ridiculous argument, and a ridiculous example. Sorry. Guns cost money, therefore we put guns only in the hands of people with money. So what? Why should I be financially responsible if YOU kill someone with a gun?

As for number 2, unless that woman is drinking and driving she's fine. People who use alcohol irresponsibly have no business near a gun. Your example has nothing to do with that.

19. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Why should I be financially responsible if YOU kill someone with a gun?
    congratulations, you just invalidated your entire insurance argument ROFL

20. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's a ridiculous argument, and a ridiculous example. Sorry. Guns cost money, therefore we put guns only in the hands of people with money. So what? Why should I be financially responsible if YOU kill someone with a gun?
    And you would have them cost more money…putting the, out of reach of the guy at the bottom of the current list of ones who can afford them.

As for number 2, unless that woman is drinking and driving she's fine. People who use alcohol irresponsibly have no business near a gun. Your example has nothing to do with that.
    OK, if you insist you can add that she had a DUI 2 years before she decided to “clean up and move on.” By your “rule” she’d be disqualified from owning a firearm.

21. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,642 Times in 51,926 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

An alcohol bottle isn't going to kill anyone except the person drinking it. Same with fatty foods. Not true with guns. That's why we have insurance for your home or your car. We should require it to own a firearm. Do you have a substantive argument against the proposal?
    Parents are teaching their kids that swilling alcohol and guzzling fatty foods is okay. Should the great minds in Washington set them straight?

I'm actually kind of partial to charging people to exercise their rights. Especially the right to vote. Too many dumbasses out there voting who shouldn't, amirite? LOL

President Gerald R. Ford had a great quote in a speech to Congress: https://www.fordlibrarymuseum.gov/grf/quotes.asp

“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.”
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"