Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, saltydancin, serenity, Yakuda and ParachuteAdams

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of particle physics?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Yep, since the Cold War began if it can't be weaponized, they're not interested.

What a disappointing read, the OP. But... it's not over yet.
    The fact that the LHC was built in neutral Switzerland almost seems like a symbolic nod to it's peaceful intentions.

I am not excessively pessimistic. The last time the end of physics was announced was in the 1890s, just a few years before Einstein's landmark paper on special relativity.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-04-2022)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    The US funded 10% of the LHC. War criminal Obama was given a Nobel Peace Prize.

The Higgs boson scam—fraudulent Physics by proxy

As for the so-called 'Standard Model', of Particle Physics, it cannot explain why
    objects fall to the ground (how gravity works), or how Electricity works at atomic
    level—why an electric current produces a magnetic field—or even why a permanent
    magnet sticks to the 'fridge door.

https://www.mauricecotterell.com/dow...s%20Boson2.pdf
    I am not clicking on a link that isn't to a legitimate, prestigious science source or science publication.

If you continue to hijack a science thread to indulge your Trump-loving, Obama-hating rhetoric this will be my last post to you

The Pentagon has no say over research at Switzerland's LHC. If the Pentagon thought a super collider was a strategic defense asset, they would have insisted Congress fund the one that was proposed in Texas.

It's common knowledge that the Standard Model doesn't include gravity. That is why there is a search for a grand unified theory. You are the first poster in the history of JPP I have run across who demands that all of our scientific theories should need no improvement or modification, and we should understand everything about the universe by now.
    Last edited by Cypress; 07-03-2022 at 07:48 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I am not clicking on a link that isn't to a legitimate, prestigious science source or science publication.

If you continue to hijack a science thread to indulge your Trump-loving, Obama-hating rhetoric this will be my last post to you

The Pentagon has no say over research at Switzerland's LHC. If the Pentagon thought a super collider was a strategic defense asset, they would have insisted Congress fund the one that was proposed in Texas.

It's common knowledge that the Standard Model doesn't include gravity. That is why there is a search for a grand unified theory. You are the first poster in the history of JPP I have run across who demands that all of our scientific theories should need no improvement or modification, and we should understand everything about the universe by now.
    What has the Higgs boson taught us?
    How much more money should we put into the LHC?
    Can you name a particle physicist who was given an award?

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,102 Times in 12,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,441 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries

The one in Texas was under construction....the Obama Regime killed it.

$2+ billion wasted.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,384 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

The fact that the LHC was built in neutral Switzerland almost seems like a symbolic nod to it's peaceful intentions.

I am not excessively pessimistic. The last time the end of physics was announced was in the 1890s, just a few years before Einstein's landmark paper on special relativity.
    Good point.

Too bad your discussion was marred by the toxic trolls. They would make fine additions to your thread-ban list. lol
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (07-04-2022)

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    What has the Higgs boson taught us?
    It's the scalar field that gives subatomic particles mass and prevents the universe from flying apart.

How much more money should we put into the LHC?
    I don't have enough information or expertise to answer that, and anyone on this board who claims they do are lying their fat ass off.

Can you name a particle physicist who was given an award?
    The Nobel Prize in Physics 2015-->
    Takaaki Kajita and Arthur B. McDonald “for the discovery of neutrino oscillations, which shows that neutrinos have mass”

The Nobel Prize in Physics 2013 -->
    François Englert and Peter W. Higgs for the discovery of the Higgs boson.

The Nobel Prize in Physics 2008 -->
    Yoichiro Nambu “for the discovery of the mechanism of spontaneous broken symmetry in subatomic physics”

Makoto Kobayashi and Toshihide Maskawa “for the discovery of the origin of the broken symmetry which predicts the existence of at least three families of quarks in nature”

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/li...es-in-physics/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    The one in Texas was under construction....the Obama Regime killed it.

$2+ billion wasted.
    Now you're just lying your fat ass off.

Funding for the proposed super collider in Texas was cancelled by Congress in 1993, sixteen years before Barack Obama became president.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

13. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Now you're just lying your fat ass off.

Funding for the proposed super collider in Texas was cancelled by Congress in 1993, sixteen years before Barack Obama became president.
    These morons seem to always forget that we can look stuff up. lol

"If all had gone according to plan, the gargantuan U.S. high-energy physics project would have already found the Higgs particle, having solidly won the competition with its European competitor. Peter Higgs, in fact, might have collected his physics Nobel a few years earlier.

"The Superconducting Super Collider (SSC) that would have graced the rolling prairies of Texas would have boasted energy 20 times larger than any accelerator ever constructed and might have been revealing whatever surprises that lay beyond the Higgs, allowing the U.S. to retain dominance in high-energy physics. Except the story didn’t play out according to script. Twenty years ago, on October 21, 1993, Congress officially killed the project, leaving behind more than vacant tunnel in the Texas earth."

The Supercollider That Never Was
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (07-04-2022)

15. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

These morons seem to always forget that we can look stuff up. lol

"If all had gone according to plan, the gargantuan U.S. high-energy physics project would have already found the Higgs particle, having solidly won the competition with its European competitor. Peter Higgs, in fact, might have collected his physics Nobel a few years earlier.

"The Superconducting Super Collider (SSC) that would have graced the rolling prairies of Texas would have boasted energy 20 times larger than any accelerator ever constructed and might have been revealing whatever surprises that lay beyond the Higgs, allowing the U.S. to retain dominance in high-energy physics. Except the story didn’t play out according to script. Twenty years ago, on October 21, 1993, Congress officially killed the project, leaving behind more than vacant tunnel in the Texas earth."

The Supercollider That Never Was

I remember the funding being cancelled in the 1990s when I was in grad school, I just had to look up the exact year.

Given what we know now, I am not sure if cancelling it was a good idea or not. Certainly, we have to expect that multi -billion dollar science projects should justify themselves.

During the Congressional hearings on proposed funding, I will always remember a dumb question a representative asked the scientists who were defending the project; the congressman asked if this particle collider could prove the existence of God, he was ready to vote to approve funding right then and there!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

17. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I remember the funding being cancelled in the 1990s when I was in grad school, I just had to look up the exact year.

Given what we know now, I am not sure if cancelling it was a good idea or not. Certainly, we have to expect that multi -billion dollar science projects should justify themselves.

During the Congressional hearings on proposed funding, I will always remember a dumb question a representative asked the scientists who were defending the project; the congressman asked if this particle collider could prove the existence of God, he was ready to vote to approve funding right then and there!
    Oh for Pete's sake. Where do they find these dummies?

According to the Scientific American article, one reason it was canceled was the inability to attract funding from other countries. Somehow Switzerland pulled that off.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (07-04-2022)

19. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Oh for Pete's sake. Where do they find these dummies?

According to the Scientific American article, one reason it was canceled was the inability to attract funding from other countries. Somehow Switzerland pulled that off.
    Speaking for the science community, we would rather live and work in Geneva, Switzerland than in Lubbock, Texas!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

21. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

It's the scalar field that gives subatomic particles mass and prevents the universe from flying apart.

I don't have enough information or expertise to answer that, and anyone on this board who claims they do are lying their fat ass off.

The Nobel Prize in Physics 2015-->
    Takaaki Kajita and Arthur B. McDonald “for the discovery of neutrino oscillations, which shows that neutrinos have mass”

The Nobel Prize in Physics 2013 -->
    François Englert and Peter W. Higgs for the discovery of the Higgs boson.

The Nobel Prize in Physics 2008 -->
    Yoichiro Nambu “for the discovery of the mechanism of spontaneous broken symmetry in subatomic physics”

Makoto Kobayashi and Toshihide Maskawa “for the discovery of the origin of the broken symmetry which predicts the existence of at least three families of quarks in nature”

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/li...es-in-physics/
    So without the god particle there'd be no universe.

22. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,319 Times in 9,827 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I dont have enough expertise to evaluate but I have heard that the entire field of physics is now a cluster fuck. Then too the WOKE are currently engaged in a full on assault of STEM because science is a threat to their religion, a battle that Jordan Peterson says that the Revolution will win.
    that's not what jordan peterson said.

23. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    that's not what jordan peterson said.
    LIAR.

107:10

I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

24. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I gave up lying years ago.

I encourage you to follow suit.

DARK AGES SUCK!