Thread: Please explain/justify this

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,785 Times in 17,104 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,344 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    I see the Holocaust as a secondary thing with regards to WW2. Brutality of that sort was pretty widespread and hardly limited to the Nazis. US internment of Japanese (and other) Americans was nothing by comparison. In fact, German and Italian POW's in that ended up shipped to the US had it pretty damn good. A low-ranked German enlisted man could make more money and eat better as a POW working on a volunteer job as say a farm worker in the US (yes, POW's were permitted to work jobs outside their camps) than he got paid to fight for the Nazis... Kind of disincentivizes fighting for the Nazis doesn't it?
    Exactly. That is why we don't hear much about those internment camps, only in passing, unless perhaps in AP history classes or in college history classes.

And yes those POWs were treated way better by Americans. Stark contrast.

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,733 Times in 4,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Exactly. That is why we don't hear much about those internment camps, only in passing, unless perhaps in AP history classes or in college history classes.

And yes those POWs were treated way better by Americans. Stark contrast.
    Meanwhile, black Vets were returning to Jim Crow states, and generally getting the shaft regarding G.I. Bill benefits. Go figure.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Taichiliberal For This Post:

AProudLefty (07-04-2022)

4. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,785 Times in 17,104 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,344 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    Meanwhile, black Vets were returning to Jim Crow states, and generally getting the shaft regarding G.I. Bill benefits. Go figure.
    That's true.

5. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 84 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whythink View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...rati-rcna35948

I am being serious. I don't understand the logic of denying a book about internment camps because it doesn't present "both sides".

I would love to understand the rational for this. Please!

The pop music industry often has a strong educational influence on kids even though its songs are rarely included in the official curriculum of public schools. (And I'm not talking about the "cookie-cutter" shit that bird-brains like Taylor Swift and Justin Beiber et al. dish up).

This song by the English band "Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark" sold over 5 million singles world wide.

It's about the flight of the American B-52 bomber named "Enola Gay" that dropped the first atomic bomb on the Japanese city of Hiroshima in 1945. while Japan and America were still at war.

But the song only tells the American side of the story, so it must be racist, bigoted, Xenophobic, etc; Right ?

Dachshund

DLM....Dachshund Lives Matter !
    Last edited by Dachshund; 07-05-2022 at 12:44 AM.

6. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,733 Times in 4,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post

The pop music industry often has a strong educational influence on kids even though its songs are rarely included in the official curriculum of public schools. (And I'm not talking about the "cookie-cutter" shit that bird-brains like Taylor Swift and Justin Beiber et al. dish up).

This song by the English band "Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark" sold over 5 million singles world wide.

It's about the flight of the American B-52 bomber named "Enola Gay" that dropped the first atomic bomb on the Japanese city of Hiroshima in 1945. while Japan and America were still at war.

But the song only tells the American side of the story, so it must be racist, bigoted, Xenophobic, etc; Right ?

Dachshund

DLM....Dachshund Lives Matter !
    First off, the song was pure Euro fluff garbage of it's time .... it only sold big numbers in Europe, of which Americans never heard of and really don't give a damn about, being that we are the folk that gave the world soul & rock & roll.....and if it was the B-side of a more successful song, it was counted as a solo success...an old marketing ploy.

The song is a lightly cynical & admonishing about Hiroshima, not an endorsement or approving about the action....if one has the historical gravitas and musical savvy to catch the lyrics. So I would expect a 3rd rate neo-nazi/David Duke wanna be like yourself to incorrectly assert the notion that you do. Carry on, my sheet wearing bumpkin.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell