Thread: Gas Prices Falling

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Gas Prices Falling

Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (06-30-2022)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

gemini104104 (07-02-2022), Guno צְבִי (06-30-2022), LurchAddams (06-30-2022), signalmankenneth (06-30-2022)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,461 Times in 9,070 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,425 Times in 1,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Yeah, gas is at $4.25 where I live, hope it keeps going down too!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-30-2022), McRocket (06-30-2022), PoliTalker (06-30-2022)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,534 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 536 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm semi-retired. The only time I've driven anywhere in the last week is to the grocery store and to a couple restaurant bars close to my house.

Since many folks tele-commute from when Covid was happening, I'm not sure the gas prices are having that catastrophic an effect on anyone other than transportation or industries that run on fossil fuel products.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-30-2022)

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If only the greedy oil execs would ramp up more production we could have even lower prices.

But in a way, high prices are a good thing for the environment.

If people can't afford to fill up then they quit driving so much, quit burning so much gas, reduce the amount of carbon going into the atmosphere.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (06-30-2022)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-30-2022)

11. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Lurch,

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    I'm semi-retired. The only time I've driven anywhere in the last week is to the grocery store and to a couple restaurant bars close to my house.

Since many folks tele-commute from when Covid was happening, I'm not sure the gas prices are having that catastrophic an effect on anyone other than transportation or industries that run on fossil fuel products.
    In the long run it's a good thing if we drive less.

12. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (06-30-2022)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

LurchAddams (06-30-2022)

14. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,535 Times in 17,827 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,236 Times in 3,040 Posts
    Blog Entries

Biden administration poised to raise gas costs another dollar or more

Yep, Joke is doubling down on stupid. This time he is allowing the EPA to impose very tight ozone pollution standards--ones that will do NOTHING for cleaner air. These new standards will severely curtail new drilling in the Permian Basin, as well as impose significant costs on producing wells in pollution controls. This is a variant of earlier EPA attempts to lower ozone pollution standards in urban areas of the US from 75 ppb (virtually nothing) to 70 ppb at a cost of roughly $100 billion a year.
    This is ENTIRELY Joke Biden's fault. It 100% belongs to him. If allowed to go into force--and it looks like it will--gas prices will rise by as much as $2 a gallon over where they are now.

World’s Biggest Oil Field Faces Pollution Rules That Could Curb Drilling
    EPA considering ozone violation designation for Permian Basin
    Move could trigger tougher scrutiny of new drilling operations
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...urbs#xj4y7vzkg

Officials react to EPA plan for Permian air quality designation
    https://www.mrt.com/business/oil/art...r-17271190.php

Credit to T.A Gardner

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

Callinectes (07-02-2022)

16. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,534 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 536 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Lurch,

In the long run it's a good thing if we drive less.
    Oh totally. Seattle has really upgraded its public transportation system. We have a light rail system that spans almost 30 miles north of downtown and south of downtown all the way to the airport. There's a light rail station with long-term parking right by my house.

I'll never drive to SeaTac again.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-30-2022)

18. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,535 Times in 17,827 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,236 Times in 3,040 Posts
    Blog Entries

LurchAddams

Verified User
    This message is hidden because LurchAddams is on your ignore list.

19. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,309 Times in 14,058 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Reasons to me if one thinks climate change is an existential crisis then high gas prices are a good thing. From a political perspective there’s the conundrum of many voters liking cheap gas.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Earl (07-02-2022), PoliTalker (06-30-2022)

21. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Reasons to me if one thinks climate change is an existential crisis then high gas prices are a good thing. From a political perspective there’s the conundrum of many voters liking cheap gas.
    Nobody ever said doing the right thing was popular. Jimmy Carter advised Americans to set the thermostat a little colder in winter and wear a sweater. Americans didn't want to hear that. He is a good leader. Too bad we didn't listen more to him. He was right, but being right does not equate into popularity.

22. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-01-2022)

23. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

its down marginally from recent highs on sentimate that recession is neigh which would calm demand. Still very high.
    could trickle down further but it wont be returning to pre Biden levels without restoring production.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

Callinectes (07-02-2022), Earl (07-02-2022)

25. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Learn to be a hyper-miler. That's nothing but changing driving habits to consume less fuel.

It's fun!

Simply discover and use every little safe legal trick that gets you where you need to go while consuming less fuel.

So you're gonna learn to shift into gear and start rolling as quickly as possible when starting up.

Accelerate slowly. If you have an ECO light, learn to keep it on by sparing the gas pedal.

Don't exceed the speed limit. Slower speeds generally get better mileage as long as you are in your highest gear.

Time the traffic signals. Ideally, you never stop. Look ahead, see a light changing, foot off gas. Car in neutral. Start coasting. The best case is the light flips green before you get to the line-up of speed racers waiting for it. You just roll on through. Back in gear, back to watching the ECO light.

Inflate tires to the max allowed on the tire. Take curves and turns as fast as is safe.

Reduce the use of the AC. You can still use it and save gas. Set the AC to the coldest setting, recirculate, and the fan on high. When you feel a little chilly, turn off the AC button but let the fan keep blowing. Turn the AC button back on when it gets too warm. Keep repeating that. The AC button is the gas-eater. Only keep it on when needed. The vents will still blow cold for a while when it is off, and you're saving gas while it is off.

If it's nice enough to have the AC constantly off, keep the windows almost all the way up for ventilation at highway speeds. Fully open windows cause turbulent airflow and waste gas.

Find a 'follow vehicle' for highway driving. Keep a safe distance behind a large vehicle. This reduces wind resistance and increases mileage. You don't have to get unsafely close for this to work. Safe distance, the effect still works better than no follow vehicle.

Turn the car off while waiting at lights. Particularly if it is a large intersection and you just missed the green. A lot of modern cars do this automatically as a way of saving gas. It's no secret that having the engine running while not moving is a big gas waster.

Park in a spot near the road, not near the store. Walk across big parking lots. Choose your parking space so you can pull forward without using reverse when leaving. Best case is a space where you can see if traffic is clear to pull back out onto the road before starting your car.

Have your car properly tuned with a fresh air filter. Empty out any unneeded items so you're carrying around less weight.

Multi-purpose your driving trips. Save up errands, do 'em all in one trip going from one to another on a planned route.

The fun comes when you begin to add up your savings. Check your mileage before you start this. Then check again after you try it. You might be able to make your car go 1.5 times as far on a tank of gas. That would cut the amount you're spending at the pump to 75% of what you are paying.

If your car normally gets 20 mpg, and you can increase that to 30 mpg that represents a lot of money. If you drive 15K miles per year at 20 mpg and $4 a gallon, Here's the math: 15K miles / 20mpg = 750 gallons. 750 gallons * $4/gal = $3000 per year in gas. Now, with hyper-miling here's the math: 15K miles / 30mpg = 500 gallons. 500 gal * $4/gal = $2000. You could save $1000 per year. And that's just the gas. Your tires and brakes will last far longer than hard driving habits. How much do they cost you?

Hyper-miling saves gas, saves money, saves tires, saves brakes, and saves the environment.

Hyper-miling reduces gas prices by reducing demand.

26. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-01-2022)

27. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Lurch,

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    Oh totally. Seattle has really upgraded its public transportation system. We have a light rail system that spans almost 30 miles north of downtown and south of downtown all the way to the airport. There's a light rail station with long-term parking right by my house.

I'll never drive to SeaTac again.
    Awesome!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

LurchAddams (06-30-2022)

29. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I am not claiming Biden did this, but he has taken whatever steps he could take to reduce gas prices.

Gas prices are far more dependent on world events and oil company executives.

I think a lot of our inflation is just price gouging. Basically because they can get away with it.

30. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (07-01-2022)

31. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

I am not claiming Biden did this, but he has taken whatever steps he could take to reduce gas prices.

Gas prices are far more dependent on world events and oil company executives.

I think a lot of our inflation is just price gouging. Basically because they can get away with it.
    Biden materially reduced domestic production and has done nothing to restore it.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

Callinectes (07-02-2022), Earl (07-01-2022)