Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recession?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    I’d say some form of recession is inevitable, but I don’t see anything comparable to 2008, question becomes how severe and how long
    Can you say systemic breakdown?

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,179 Times in 14,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Cassleman is a liberal economist for The NY Times. He references the Atl Fed number which did in fact turn negative. This would be two quarters in a row of negative GDP growth which usually, but not always, is the measure for a recession.

Because unemployment is still pretty low this recession, if official, does have a different feel to it. Unemployment is expected to rise but at least as projected not tremendously higher.

Its transitory
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,179 Times in 14,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    America is doing great with GDP and unemployment- in comparison to other G7 countries in post pandemic recovery!

BUT YOU FORGOT TO MENTION THAT!

CAWACKOFF is a Typical BUTT-HURT TRUMPTARD still licking his wounds AND TRUMP's ASS over CRIMINAL TRUMP's huge re-election defeat!
    BUT TRUMP!!!!
    IMPEACH 46 FOR TREASON
    Biden/Harris 2024
    IT'S A NO BRAINER!

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    Something's gonna crash. I fear it will be a Greater Depression. Housing is insane right now.
    What is going to 'crash' and why. Suss it out in economic terms.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,263 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    BUT TRUMP!!!!
    B-B-B-B-Biden- B-B-B-B-BUTT-HURT!

Give us a break Fuck head!

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I’m probably missing something but since when did discussing current economic conditions cause such a meltdown? Are economics and the economy an off limit topic? Such anger.

Maybe I’ll try that with clients at work. “Economic conditions are absolutely irrelevant you idiots!” Maybe it will work!
    LET'S HEAR YOUR SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEMS- NOT JUST THE PROBLEMS!

You want influence with others? That would be a great start!

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

LET'S HEAR YOUR SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEMS- NOT JUST THE PROBLEMS!

You want influence with others? That would be a great start!
    I’m still not following why you are so upset that the topic is the economy and its current condition/performance. Whether it’s good, bad, or just putzing along in neutral the economy is always going to be at/near the top of people’s minds. (Maybe you are independently wealthy and therefore the topic is irrelevant to you. A tip of the cap to you if you’ve reached that position.)

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I’m still not following why you are so upset that the topic is the economy and its current condition/performance. Whether it’s good, bad, or just putzing along in neutral the economy is always going to be at/near the top of people’s minds. (Maybe you are independently wealthy and therefore the topic is irrelevant to you. A tip of the cap to you if you’ve reached that position.)
    No- I am not wealthy!

I have lived 70 years of watching both good and bad economic times, and trust me- I have been a victim and benefactor to many of them.

Economies eventually work their way through all Bad economic times. There are millions of factors and dynamics that have to do with how good or how bad an economy can be.

It's not a switch a president has- he can flick to fix a bad economic time- it often times is not even a switch at the voters booth that fixes bad economies.

Sometimes- it is patience- Sometimes it's perseverance- sometimes it's making the right decisions for you and your family- SOMETIMES IT'S JUST BLIND LUCK!

But Pointing fingers does not help economies. Remaining disgruntled over losing an election doesn't help anything! Constantly blaming your political rivals doesn't resolve anything!

Now again- Tell us what you would do to help resolve the inflation problems we are experiencing!

Let me assure you- You want influence with others?- STOP THE FINGER-POINTING AND TELL US WHAT YOU WOULD DO TO HELP RESOLVE ISSUES.

Constantly nagging about your political adversaries is just politics as usual. Political fights end up as Farting contests!

You want a farting contest! Go ahead- You go first! Let's see how our farting contest helps our economy!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 06-30-2022 at 04:14 PM.

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No- I am not wealthy!

I have lived 70 years of watching both good and bad economic times. Economies eventually work their way through all Bad economic times.

It's not a switch a president has- he can flick to fix a bad economic time- it often times is not even a switch at the voters booth that fixes bad economies.

Sometimes- it is patience- Sometimes it's perseverance- sometimes it's making the right decisions for you and your family- SOMETIMES IT'S JUST BLIND LUCK!

But Pointing fingers does not help economies. Remaining disgruntled over losing an election doesn't help anything! Constantly blaming your political rivals doesn't resolve anything!

Now again- Tell us what you would do to help resolve the inflation problems we are experiencing!

Let me assure you- You want influence with others?- STOP THE FINGER-POINTING AND TELL US WHAT YOU WOULD DO TO HELP RESOLVE ISSUES.

Constantly nagging about your political adversaries is just politics as usual. Political fights end up as Farting contests!

You want a farting contest! Go ahead- You go first! Let's see how that helps our economy!
    Jesus dude, did you actually read my OP? Where did I name a politician? Where did I name a political party? Where did I blame anyone?

It’s like you’re responding to some other post.

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Jesus dude, did you actually read my OP? Where did I name a politician? Where did I name a political party? Where did I blame anyone?

It’s like you’re responding to some other post.
    Yes, I read your OP!

Looked like the usual pissing and moaning Trumptards are using to blame Biden for everything imaginable!

What was your purpose for the thread? Be honest! What? Do you think if the country goes into recession that that would automatically be bad for Biden- or the Democrats?

Why did you feel as if you had to point out that the author of the source you used was a liberal!

Does that make a difference?

You know I have read economists points of views all my life- I never even questioned their political affiliations.

Of course that would become clear if economist blamed a president for the Recession.

Did this so called Liberal economist blame Biden for anything?

Should he?

The jist of what he said is we could be heading into a recession!

WHOOPTY DO- I COULD HAVE TOLD YOU THAT!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 06-30-2022 at 05:19 PM.

11. The Following User Groans At Geeko Sportivo For This Awful Post:

Rune (06-30-2022)

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 890 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 144 Times in 135 Posts

The U-3 (the unemployment rate) means little.

It was modified in 1994 to deliberately make the U-3 look better (though few will admit the latter).
    https://www.bls.gov/osmr/research-pa...4/cp940090.htm

It does NOT mean the same now as it did pre-1994.

In fact, it is a joke.
    It completely ignores ALL persons who have no job, want a job and are available to work...but (for whatever reasons) have given up looking for work.
    That is nuts.
    You cannot expect people to look for work forever.
    Eventually, they have to make other arrangements - work part time, work under the table, go back to school, etc.

The U-3 used to count these people as unemployed...not any longer.

Now?
    If America had only one person working and 200 million people looking for work and ready to work...but had given up working because there was no jobs available?
    The official U-3 - in this case - would be 0.0%.
    That is utterly ridiculous.
    1 person working in ALL of America and the U-3 can be 0.0%.

The U-3 is pathetic.
    Even the U-6 is flawed...for various reasons.

The best measure now is the Employment-population ratio.
    It is a relatively, pure statistic with no exemptions or alterations.

https://www.bls.gov/charts/employmen...tion-ratio.htm

As you can see from the above link to the bls, the ratio is still way below what it was before the Great Recession (higher is better).

So no, the employment situation in America is not good.
    It NEVER, fully recovered from the Great Recession.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. The Following User Says Thank You to McRocket For This Post:

anatta (07-01-2022)

14. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

America is doing great with GDP and unemployment- in comparison to other G7 countries in post pandemic recovery!

CAWACKOFF is a Typical BUTT-HURT TRUMPTARD still licking his wounds AND TRUMP's ASS over CRIMINAL TRUMP's huge re-election defeat!
    Yeah I don't think so.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

15. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes, I read your OP!

Looked like the usual pissing and moaning Trumptards are using to blame Biden for everything imaginable!

What was your purpose for the thread? Be honest! What? Do you think if the country goes into recession that that would automatically be bad for Biden- or the Democrats?

Why did you feel as if you had to point out that the author of the source you used was a liberal!

Does that make a difference?

You know I have read economists points of views all my life- I never even questioned their political affiliations.

Of course that would become clear if economist blamed a president for the Recession.

Did this so called Liberal economist blame Biden for anything?

Should he?

The jist of what he said is we could be heading into a recession!

WHOOPTY DO- I COULD HAVE TOLD YOU THAT!
    Did I insult a family member in a previous life? Kind of fascinated by this visceral anger in your responses here.

Here’s a thread I started in 2019, while Trump was President, entitled Recession Signs Everywhere. Discussing current economic conditions is relevant to me but wonder if you would have flown off the handle at me as well if you were posting then?

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...t=John+mauldin

16. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

You think cawacko is a Trump guy?

He's not and in a thread about economics you might want to pay attention to what he has to say.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

17. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

it's gonna get worse. a recession brings lay offs.
    Interest rates are going to have to equal inflation numbers to tame inflation

People are going to lose jobs, the economy contracts, we produce less and import more because we are consumers. I dont know where this ends. but a contracting economy is a death spiral

18. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

McRocket (07-01-2022)