Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red states, as a group, are falling behind blue states on a broad range of economic

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    And social outcomes—including economic productivity, family income, life expectancy, and “deaths of despair” from the opioid crisis and alcoholism.

But the big story remains that blue states are benefiting more as the nation transitions into a high-productivity, 21st-century information economy, and red states (apart from their major metropolitan centers participating in that economy) are suffering as the powerhouse industries of the 20th century—agriculture, manufacturing, and fossil-fuel extraction—decline.

The gross domestic product per person and the median household income are now both more than 25 percent greater in the blue section than in the red, according to Podhorzer’s calculations. The share of kids in poverty is more than 20 percent lower in the blue section than red, and the share of working households with incomes below the poverty line is nearly 40 percent lower. Health outcomes are diverging too. Gun deaths are almost twice as high per capita in the red places as in the blue, as is the maternal mortality rate.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...letter/661377/
    Which states are growing right now jewbot?
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,610 Times in 9,135 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,428 Times in 1,257 Posts

And social outcomes—including economic productivity, family income, life expectancy, and “deaths of despair” from the opioid crisis and alcoholism.

But the big story remains that blue states are benefiting more as the nation transitions into a high-productivity, 21st-century information economy, and red states (apart from their major metropolitan centers participating in that economy) are suffering as the powerhouse industries of the 20th century—agriculture, manufacturing, and fossil-fuel extraction—decline.

The gross domestic product per person and the median household income are now both more than 25 percent greater in the blue section than in the red, according to Podhorzer’s calculations. The share of kids in poverty is more than 20 percent lower in the blue section than red, and the share of working households with incomes below the poverty line is nearly 40 percent lower. Health outcomes are diverging too. Gun deaths are almost twice as high per capita in the red places as in the blue, as is the maternal mortality rate.

The red states are far behind in education too, knowledge is power?!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-28-2022)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,948 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 111 Times in 104 Posts

One needs a much larger income to live in a blue state due to higher taxes, cost of living, and ridiculous inflated costs outside of what we are seeing now, not story here
    Doc Dutch finally admits he is a steaming pile of chickenshit!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stringfellow Hawk For This Post:

Into the Night (06-28-2022)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 47 Times in 47 Posts

California, the house Republicans built that democrats are burning down.
    " Never underestimate Joe's ability to fuck things up "

Woke is the new Nazi's

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sawyerloggingon For This Post:

Into the Night (06-28-2022)

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,061 Times in 7,495 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

Red states shouldn't be part of the United States.
    It's time to let the Confederacy go their separate way.
    They're a drag on the Blue states.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Why do you think blue states essentially won't build housing? Is it simply a Boomer thing and you're worried about your property values? For some reason housing doesn't get talked about a lot but it's a major driver in where people choose to live.
    Last edited by cawacko; 06-28-2022 at 08:24 AM.

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,319 Times in 9,827 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

yeah well you're gay as a group.

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,061 Times in 7,495 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Why do you think blue states essentially won't build housing? Is it simply a Boomer thing and you're worried about your property values (and F everyone else)? For some reason housing doesn't get talked about a lot but it's a major driver in where people choose to live.
    I'm not a fucking contractor.
    What the fuck do I know or care about housing other than I have one?
    Actually, I really don't have one because I've already put in the kids' names so they don't have to fuck with probate when they want to unload it for a million bucks or so.
    I just pay the expenses and taxes as if I still owned it. That's what my parents did with me when they were alive. You drag kids onto this pigshit planet, you've got to take care of them.

I have plenty of other stuff: golf clubs, a dog, jazz records, books, an old Corvette, opinions--I talk about that. Why do you want me to build houses?
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Actually, I really don't have one because I've already put in the kids' names so they don't have to fuck with probate when they want to unload it for a million bucks or so.
    I just pay the expenses and taxes as if I still owned it. That's what my parents did with me when they were alive. You drag kids onto this pigshit planet, you've got to take care of them.

I have plenty of other stuff: golf clubs, a dog, jazz records, books, an old Corvette, opinions--I talk about that. Why do you want me to build houses?
    LOL, I’m talking about housing policy. (We talk about tax policy, health care policy, education policy, abortion policy - yet a topic as important as housing gets very little discussion in many places)

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,112 Times in 11,685 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    The red states are far behind in education too, knowledge is power?!!
    Indoctrination is not education, dude.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The SDTC is already no longer part of the United States. Happy?
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So you're homeless...gotit.