1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,324 Times in 2,774 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

Default America is headed for another civil war

From an article by Zoe Strimpel
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-has-vanquish/

I, like so many millions of other women in the once-liberal West, felt profound relief that I was born in an era and a place where women have the right to choose. We took for granted that we could have children when ready and only then, without terror of life-changing consequences if a mistake was made. But any sense that living in “the West” offers a guarantee of this right died last Friday when the US Supreme Court, once the leader of the free world, overturned Roe vs Wade as unconstitutional, ending federal protection of the right to abortion.

This rare reversal of constitutional rights is first and foremost a despicable assault on women. But it is also a world-historical cataclysm, the biggest sign yet that America could be about to implode. It’s all happening quickly. The freshly emboldened Justice Clarence Thomas has already asked the Supreme Court to reconsider rulings that protect contraception. Enslaved to its constitution, and ever-madder readings of that 233 year old list of rules, it’s hard not to conclude that America is no longer fit for purpose.

Trump trod on all sorts of norms as president, finally overseeing the storming of the Capitol in an attempt to delegitimise Biden’s win. The paranoid Trumpian right still believes the voting system has been corrupted by Left-wing ideology, while Democrats are now questioning the legitimacy of the Supreme Court itself. There is no middle ground, since each side now thinks it has to beat its opponent comprehensively.

The horrible irony is that the Left used to staunchly defend women’s rights and particularly abortion rights; now they won’t even refer to “women”, preferring “pregnancy-capable people”. The Right wanted Roe overturned; the Left let them get away with it, and for this they deserve as much if not more blame for betraying women. Trump got into power in part because hard Left types let him, voting for joke candidates over Hilary Clinton because she wasn’t woke enough for them. Women have been sacrificed on the bonfire of woke.

The only silver lining is that American political alliances may now be redrawn. Abortion is a universal issue that goes far beyond right and left, so sensible people on the right may be forced to ally with the woke left. This could force the latter to rediscover common sense. If they do, they might actually be able to bring this nightmare to an end, but by then it may be too late.

Zoe Strimpel is a conservative commentator to the Telegraph who grew up in America and now lives in Britain. She blames the ‘woke’ left for pursuing chimeras instead of concentrating on the real threats to liberty and progress coming from the hard right. Is there anything in this, or is she just making excuses?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tranquillus in Exile For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-26-2022)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,245 Times in 7,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Yup, we may be headed toward another Civil War.

Thanks to McConnell and Trump...we now have what amounts to crazy people running the Supreme Court. We are in serious trouble.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (06-26-2022), LurchAddams (06-26-2022), signalmankenneth (06-26-2022)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillus in Exile View Post
    From an article by Zoe Strimpel
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-has-vanquish/

I, like so many millions of other women in the once-liberal West, felt profound relief that I was born in an era and a place where women have the right to choose. We took for granted that we could have children when ready and only then, without terror of life-changing consequences if a mistake was made. But any sense that living in “the West” offers a guarantee of this right died last Friday when the US Supreme Court, once the leader of the free world, overturned Roe vs Wade as unconstitutional, ending federal protection of the right to abortion.

This rare reversal of constitutional rights is first and foremost a despicable assault on women. But it is also a world-historical cataclysm, the biggest sign yet that America could be about to implode. It’s all happening quickly. The freshly emboldened Justice Clarence Thomas has already asked the Supreme Court to reconsider rulings that protect contraception. Enslaved to its constitution, and ever-madder readings of that 233 year old list of rules, it’s hard not to conclude that America is no longer fit for purpose.

Trump trod on all sorts of norms as president, finally overseeing the storming of the Capitol in an attempt to delegitimise Biden’s win. The paranoid Trumpian right still believes the voting system has been corrupted by Left-wing ideology, while Democrats are now questioning the legitimacy of the Supreme Court itself. There is no middle ground, since each side now thinks it has to beat its opponent comprehensively.

The horrible irony is that the Left used to staunchly defend women’s rights and particularly abortion rights; now they won’t even refer to “women”, preferring “pregnancy-capable people”. The Right wanted Roe overturned; the Left let them get away with it, and for this they deserve as much if not more blame for betraying women. Trump got into power in part because hard Left types let him, voting for joke candidates over Hilary Clinton because she wasn’t woke enough for them. Women have been sacrificed on the bonfire of woke.

The only silver lining is that American political alliances may now be redrawn. Abortion is a universal issue that goes far beyond right and left, so sensible people on the right may be forced to ally with the woke left. This could force the latter to rediscover common sense. If they do, they might actually be able to bring this nightmare to an end, but by then it may be too late.

Zoe Strimpel is a conservative commentator to the Telegraph who grew up in America and now lives in Britain. She blames the ‘woke’ left for pursuing chimeras instead of concentrating on the real threats to liberty and progress coming from the hard right. Is there anything in this, or is she just making excuses?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post

Thanks to McConnell and Trump...we now have what amounts to crazy people running the Supreme Court. We are in serious trouble.
    REEEE Moar, bitches!

6. The Following User Groans At Matt Dillon For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (06-26-2022)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    REEEE Moar, bitches!
    Please translate into English...if you can, Matt.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

LurchAddams (06-26-2022)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

we didn't rise up when the courts decided to allow the killing of children in 72......why do you feel you need to do it now when the court says you can't kill your children......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

10. The Following User Groans At PostmodernProphet For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (06-26-2022)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Into the Night (06-27-2022)

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thanks for nothing, Matt. I thought you would translate what you were saying into something I could understand without watching a video. I was wrong...I will acknowledge that.

14. The Following User Groans At Frank Apisa For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (06-26-2022)

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,041 Times in 6,685 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 543 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries

REEEE Moar, bitches!
    You're declining quickly.
    ================================================== =

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I got this: He's saying the viscosity of the poop in his drawers is more dense that usual this morning.

I speak troll.

There will come a day where Donald Trump is gone, but the dishonor of those who carried his water will remain.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LurchAddams For This Post:

Frank Apisa (06-26-2022)

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    we didn't rise up when the courts decided to allow the killing of children in 72......why do you feel you need to do it now when the court says you can't kill your children......
    No children have been killed.

19. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thanks for nothing, Matt. I thought you would translate what you were saying into something I could understand without watching a video. I was wrong...I will acknowledge that.
    The meth and booze cocktail he's on precludes speaking in sentences.

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LurchAddams View Post
    No children have been killed.
    over 61 million the last time I looked it up.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

21. The Following User Groans At PostmodernProphet For This Awful Post:

LurchAddams (06-26-2022)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

23. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,319 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 416 Times in 383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    children have been born. terminating a pregnancy is not killing a child.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Port Tack For This Post:

PoliTalker (06-26-2022)

25. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's the frog and Feels Guy @ .17

26. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Port Tack View Post
    children have been born. terminating a pregnancy is not killing a child.
    Yes it is, you macabre ghoul.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Dillon For This Post: