Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Conservatives and War

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    They're all perfectly healthy? Even you don't believe that.
    I never said they were.
    McCain to Obama. "If you don't like our bill, send troops to help us."

Obama, himself attempted to filibuster Justice Alito, who now sits on the Supreme Court.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    In a free society, the people owe absolutely nothing to the government, let alone something as extreme as the draft. What you do is establish local customs (community values) where good behavior is honored and poor behavior is stigmatized. This is how it was done in the past.
    Read that over and then tell me how one can debate that lack of sense or maybe structure. Were you imitating Miss SC above? Hints: Free society? and community? I realize you are young but jeez, you can do better.

My nutshells have been a big hit, sorry they went over your head. And libertarianism is a belief system, we established that, believe if you like, but life requires compromise, blends, and pragmatism. Formulaic thinking fails - see republican governance for thirty years.

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    They're all perfectly healthy? Even you don't believe that.
    Please point to the part where TuTu said that. Because no matter how many times I've read what she posted it isn't there.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mottleydude View Post
    I think you mixed up your metaphor. War is not a tool of diplomacy. War and Diplomacy are tools of Policy.
    I didn't use a metaphor; I simply stated a fact.

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Read that over and then tell me how one can debate that lack of sense or maybe structure. Were you imitating Miss SC above? Hints: Free society? and community? I realize you are young but jeez, you can do better.

My nutshells have been a big hit, sorry they went over your head. And libertarianism is a belief system, we established that, believe if you like, but life requires compromise, blends, and pragmatism. Formulaic thinking fails - see republican governance for thirty years.
    It makes perfect sense, and even an authoritarian such as you must be lying to say otherwise. A community is simply where you live; a free society is pretty self-explanatory: the people live and function without state control over their decision making.

Your nutshell threads left everyone thinking you are a total moron. Some had had their doubts, but that series of debates left you unmasked. Seeing as how today's neoliberals and neocons are increasingly uncompromising, I don't see how you can call libertarians (who are not as uniform or organized, and hence live by compromise) uncompromising...

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    That would be a wise thing to consider before attempting to implement any more 'gun control'.

Now do you understand?
    I completely agree. I believe people have a right to own a gun and have the right to shoot anyone who trespasses or attempts to harm them.

Unless the government can guarantee the safety of every citizen, be it someone walking through the bad part of town in the middle of the night or someone trying to break in their home, it is outrageous to take away a person's defense.
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

7. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 237 Times in 228 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TuTu Monroe View Post
    I have to agree with you on that one, but just drilling a hole in the head of a perfectly healthy baby, I consider it murder.

Tu Tu is doing great. Life has been good to her. Thanks for asking.
    Surely they could find a way to euthanize the fetus before abortion.

BTW, Tu Tu is looking great, as well.
    "May your reality be as pleasant as mine."

8. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 693 Times in 631 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apple0154 View Post
    Why kill a baby that you're going to kill anyway?

9. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,188 Times in 25,723 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TuTu Monroe View Post
    I never said they were.
    "I have to agree with you on that one, but just drilling a hole in the head of a perfectly healthy baby, I consider it murder."

Then why did you use "perfectly healthy baby" as an example?

10. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

BTW, Tu Tu is looking great, as well.
    Thanks. You are looking great too.
    McCain to Obama. "If you don't like our bill, send troops to help us."

Obama, himself attempted to filibuster Justice Alito, who now sits on the Supreme Court.

11. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    It makes perfect sense, and even an authoritarian such as you must be lying to say otherwise. A community is simply where you live; a free society is pretty self-explanatory: the people live and function without state control over their decision making.

Your nutshell threads left everyone thinking you are a total moron. Some had had their doubts, but that series of debates left you unmasked. Seeing as how today's neoliberals and neocons are increasingly uncompromising, I don't see how you can call libertarians (who are not as uniform or organized, and hence live by compromise) uncompromising...
    You define the terms to fit your narrow interpretation. Societies form a framework for freedom, freedom doesn't exist in a jungle. And when does the state control your decisions? You can break any law, but I bet you obey most as a member of society. You remain a naive child, you see only the things that you think impede your freedom, just as a child tries their parent.

"Everyone?" LMAO

Additional comment: Freedom comes with responsibility. Do a nutshell that encapsulates your concept of freedom, mine were meant to point out the ironies and paradoxes of life in society.
    Last edited by midcan5; 06-12-2009 at 04:46 AM.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

12. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 39 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Let's recap the profound absurdity of this statement. It is actually the Democrats who are growing further away from the general population on gay marriage and partial birth abortion. Nearly 80% of Americans are opposed strongly to both. It can best be explained by saying the liberals want to force their agenda down the throats of America through judicial fiat, often overriding the will of the people at the ballot box. Conservatives represent the mainstream viewpoint of the people on both issues.

This is the sort of lies and distortion which is now a daily thing for liberals. You people just can't help the lies from tumbling out of your mouths every time they open, can you?
    On gay marriage and late term abortion you are right, the majority of america does not approve of either. But the question is; is marriage a right or privilege? Better yet, is the ability to enter into a contract a right or privilege? I am not going to argue late term abortion because I really do think reasonable people can disagree, and because late term abortions are even rarer than abortions based on life or health of the mother and anomalies with the fetus. But the right of two adults regardless of gender to enter into a contract for the purposes of unifying their lives is a right, we let two men enter into all sorts of contracts that unify a great deal of their lives. We need to get away from the States recognizing marriage and call all of them civil unions, and allow churches to solemnize them according to their dictates and rules and call them whatever they want. The state has no business recognizing what is otherwise a solemnized religious institution, nor do they have the right to nullify a civil union between anyone.

13. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterThanYou View Post
    That would be a wise thing to consider before attempting to implement any more 'gun control'.

Now do you understand?
    good point. It will be missed.

14. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Socrtease View Post
    On gay marriage and late term abortion you are right, the majority of america does not approve of either. But the question is; is marriage a right or privilege? Better yet, is the ability to enter into a contract a right or privilege? I am not going to argue late term abortion because I really do think reasonable people can disagree, and because late term abortions are even rarer than abortions based on life or health of the mother and anomalies with the fetus. But the right of two adults regardless of gender to enter into a contract for the purposes of unifying their lives is a right, we let two men enter into all sorts of contracts that unify a great deal of their lives. We need to get away from the States recognizing marriage and call all of them civil unions, and allow churches to solemnize them according to their dictates and rules and call them whatever they want. The state has no business recognizing what is otherwise a solemnized religious institution, nor do they have the right to nullify a civil union between anyone.
    So the government should not grant tax breaks or other privilidges based on marital status?
    Bush doubled the debt from 5 trillion to 10 trillion.
    Proving tax cuts work!

Bush asked for and signed for the TARP money.
    The Republican senate leader backed Bush on this.

15. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Did you see the CNN special last week regarding late term abortions? A woman was told her fetus was grossly malformed. It was missing part of it's scalp and brain. Rather than end the pregnancy the woman bore the child and it lived for 12 hours. In the end she said it made two heavy gasps and died in her arms. When asked why she chose to bring such a child into the world she said it brought closure.

Closure!?!? She brought that child into the world and prolonged it's suffering so SHE could find closure!!! That has to be the most vile, disgusting thing I've ever heard.

On a more cheerful note how's Tu Tu doing today?
    You statement is flawed. Had she chosen to abort it during the late term it would have suffered no more than it did being born. It lacked that area of the brain that gives us suffering. That being said, how dare you deny her her right to give birth and hold what was left of the child she carried for 9 months. If it gave her closure, then who the fuck are we to judge. This is what being pro-choice is all about. I am not going to force a woman to abort her anencephalic "child" anymore than I am going to force her to carry it to term. That is between her, her doctor and her god. Let me not judge a person till I have walked a mile in their moccasins.