Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Cops have no constitutional duty to protect you

1. #301 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 10,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    Seriously, if I refuse to fix some phone lines and used this as my reason "I am not constitutionally required to do that" (I'm not) I would still get fired, and so should these morons.
    Right, but your job has nothing to do with enforcing laws in this country...laws that are derived from the 10th amendment to the Constitution.

So it's not the same thing as working on phone lines or managing a blog or whatever...it's enforcing local laws derived from the 10th Amendment to the Constitution.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

2. #302 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,338 Times in 52,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Seriously, if I refuse to fix some phone lines and used this as my reason "I am not constitutionally required to do that" (I'm not) I would still get fired, and so should these morons.
    Notice that it's the gun-grabbing, cop-hating far left who are making a big deal about this.

The fact remains the police officers were duty-bound to stop a criminal act. They didn't. The investigation will reveal why, but the reasons have already been mentioned: crappy leadership and poor training.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #303 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Yeah, I don't think they have the best intentions either...I think they are looking out for themselves first and foremost.
    Therefore it is your right and your duty to protect yourself and yours. True story. Do you have a problem with that?

Know what that requires? The best guns you can afford.

4. #304 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Because they are the same thing...they are you undermining confidence in the election by implying that they're fraudulent.

Words mean things.
    wrong. ask any english teacher, you lying sack of shit.

I haven't lied about anything.
    see above

Saying "the potential for fraud" is the same thing as saying "potential fraud."

Words mean what they mean.
    and you have no clue what words mean, obviously.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

5. #305 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

OK, but the job of law enforcement is to enforce the law, so if there is no Constitutional duty to enforce the law, then what is the point of law enforcement?
    I didn't say that enforcing the law wasn't their duty. Nobody has any constitutional requirement to actually do their job is my frickin' point. This is a silliness.

They were hired to do something, they chose not to, now they can be fired and lose their pensions along with other things if their employer (the folks in that city) want to do that. They should want to and they should take that action, IMHO.

This idea that you can be suddenly constitutionally required to do something is total nonsense, this is not the measure of whether or not we should hold the cops that didn't do their job accountable.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #306 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Notice that it's the gun-grabbing, cop-hating far left who are making a big deal about this.

The fact remains the police officers were duty-bound to stop a criminal act. They didn't. The investigation will reveal why, but the reasons have already been mentioned: crappy leadership and poor training.
    You still think this was a collection of individual failures and not just one big, fat, fuckin' systemic failure...that lets the system off the hook, and the system is why those cops stood there and did nothing.

7. #307 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

What neither of you are actually paying attention to is the fact that we have no constitutional requirement to do our jobs at all, but our employers have a right to fire us if we do not do them. If folks in that town hired these cops with the understanding that they would protect their children from this kind of nonsense and they simply did not do the job they were hired to do these people have the right to fire the idiots who didn't do the job they were hired to do.

Regardless of this "constitutional duty" to do something or not, if you are hired to do a job and simply reject doing it because you don't feel like it that day for any reason (including you were really scared) you can and should be fired even if you didn't have a "constitutional duty" to do your job.

I get that they are not constitutionally required to protect folks, but that doesn't change that it is part of their job description and that they failed at it entirely. These cops that ordered other cops not to go in and then detained one that was off duty so he would not deserve to lose their jobs and their pensions because they refused to do what they were hired to do.
    Telecommunications workers are not paid primarily by taxpayer money to perform the service they do.

And you're right about all that.

8. #308 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    Therefore it is your right and your duty to protect yourself and yours. True story. Do you have a problem with that?

Know what that requires? The best guns you can afford.
    What's more likely to happen is you'll get drunk one day and forget to lock your guns up, and then someone will come along and steal some or all of them.

It happens at least 200,000 times every year, so it's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when".

9. #309 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    wrong. ask any english teacher, you lying sack of shit..
    And any English teacher will tell you that it's a distinction without difference.

Potential for fraud is the future tense of potential fraud.

10. #310 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Right, but your job has nothing to do with enforcing laws in this country...laws that are derived from the 10th amendment to the Constitution.

So it's not the same thing as working on phone lines or managing a blog or whatever...it's enforcing local laws derived from the 10th Amendment to the Constitution.
    Nor do their rights. Just having a job doesn't make you "constitutionally required" to actually do the job. You can quit, you can sit down and cry, you can stop in the middle of the street, etc. and there is no constitutional punishment for what you did not do.

You can, however, be fired for not doing your job and so can these people.

You don't get to pretend that the constitution has some aspect of it that makes it so you can force some folks to do what you want. You do have a right to fire folks for not doing their job though.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

dukkha (06-23-2022)

12. #311 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    and you have no clue what words mean, obviously.
    No you don't because you're trying to make a distinction but it's without difference.

"Potential for fraud" means the same thing as "potential fraud" because "fraud" is the direct object YOU STUPID ILLITERATE FUCKING MORON.

13. #312 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    Telecommunications workers are not paid primarily by taxpayer money to perform the service they do.

And you're right about all that.
    That would depend entirely on what group I work in. It doesn't matter if we are paid primarily by taxpayer money or anything, you have a right to quit. When Nixon resigned there was no special punishment for the resignation because nobody is "constitutionally required" to remain at their job and do what you want them to do.

This idea that the constitution has some provision in it that "requires" some folks to do what you want when you want them to is absurd, they can quit and they can be fired, this is constitutional.

The constitution has no positive rights that say the government can make you do any job, even if it is a public job. However the people in that town absolutely have a right to fire cops that did not do their job. You don't get special protection from doing your job just because the public pays you, you can be fired like anybody else.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

14. #313 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,338 Times in 52,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

You still think this was a collection of individual failures and not just one big, fat, fuckin' systemic failure...that lets the system off the hook, and the system is why those cops stood there and did nothing.
    I'd love to respond, but don't want to upset you.

Why are you so obsessed with me?

Get a fucking life.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

15. #314 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I didn't say that enforcing the law wasn't their duty.
    Right, I did because it's not.

Nobody has any constitutional requirement to actually do their job is my frickin' point.
    No, that's not true because there are constitutional requirements on elected officials and justices.

Remember when y'all were suing Obama like crazy in order to get him to "enforce" immigration law? Cuz I remember.

They were hired to do something, they chose not to, now they can be fired and lose their pensions along with other things if their employer (the folks in that city) want to do that.
    I will make a prediction right now that exactly no one will be fired from their jobs over what happened in Uvalde.

Not the chief, not the cops, not the state officials...no one.

They're already circling their wagons and they only placed Arredondo on paid leave...so he gets a paid vacation for standing by as kids were slaughtered.

So again, what is the point of law enforcement?

16. #315 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

local laws are not "derived" from the 10th. Local laws come from state or city/county ordinances. It is the federal governent that is restricted to enumerated powers - the 10th is merely an affirmation that only these numerated powers apply to the feds. Any other powers are ascribed to the states or people respectively by default

the states and "the people" we are around before the federal government -and the 10th merely protects
    ( not "derives") those plenary powers from being glommed up/absorbed by the feds.

IOW's it's a limitation on federal powers -the Constitution doesn't grant/derive powers to the states
    -they are already there